Earsonics
Mar 11, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, I also found the SM2 to be superior to any universal offering I have tried or owned (IE8, X10, ER4, UM3(x), Triple.Fi...) and well, I have been very vocal about my preference of the EM3pro's (which I will review soon) over the JH13pro's.

I also dont know why they are not mentioned, could it be the "freedom" fries syndrome, or simply because Earsonics has not marketed their products well beyond France. I also hope that I could share my views on them with other people here...

Very interesting...I never heard of them. The SM3 looks promising, would love to hear some reviews on them.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #17 of 72
Given the size of their facility (you can see it on Facebook), they might just be actively avoiding too much success in fear of not meeting demand. Additionally, their website's translation could be improved a little, and the euro-dollars conversion just ruins their competitiveness.

But what they manufacture is without any doubt excellent.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 72
i own a pair of IE8 and do find them muddy at some times, the SM3 do impress a bit, and they look good, but it worries me that they have a fixed cable, and the same is curious,

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i own a pair of IE8 and do find them muddy at some times, the SM3 do impress a bit, and they look good, but it worries me that they have a fixed cable, and the same is curious,

When you say they impress a bit, do you mean you have actually heard them?

If so do you find they are better than the IE8s?

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #22 of 72
The SM3 are too recent, only a handful of people have received them so far. The first impressions are, according to a few of them, positive : they retains the overall "Earsonics sound signature" of the SM2, with everything slightly improved (better soundstage, better instrument separation, tighter bass, airier and better treble).

Please note that the Earsonics I've tried seem to be much more source dependent than your average IEM : my SM2 sounded like mud on my iPod touch 2G, but much much better out of my Cowon S9 (while IEMs like the IE8 seem less impacted by source variation).

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SM3 are too recent, only a handful of people have received them so far. The first impressions are, according to a few of them, positive : they retains the overall "Earsonics sound signature" of the SM2, with everything slightly improved (better soundstage, better instrument separation, tighter bass, airier and better treble).

Please note that the Earsonics I've tried seem to be much more source dependent than your average IEM : my SM2 sounded like mud on my iPod touch 2G, but much much better out of my Cowon S9 (while IEMs like the IE8 seem less impacted by source variation).

Thats actually very insightful. The better a speaker replicates the source, usually... the better the headphone. (In most cases)

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #24 of 72
If I could read french...
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #25 of 72
We want info...how can we discuss a company that doesn't reach out to the headfi community, I am very outspoken on the topic. You want discussion, make the product easy to find, offer distribution, and for crying out loud, if the company doesn't market the product, what are we suppose to do? Discuss an iem that is among the most obscure on the planet? Share more information= discussion, the site is far from friendly, except for the easy to find buy button.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 72
@Maya - I've used the SM2 on both the iPod touch 2G and S9 and both retain some similarities, but the touch is definitely able to drive them better. If you listen from an S9, you really should have an amp. It's possible that you enjoy that signature.

Both are somewhat cool, but in terms of space and details (especially in the midrange), the S9 and the iPod touch don't have what it takes, but the touch does a better job. I've not heard a single BA that the S9 can really handle. Driving an amp however, it is great.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Maya - I've used the SM2 on both the iPod touch 2G and S9 and both retain some similarities, but the touch is definitely able to drive them better. If you listen from an S9, you really should have an amp. It's possible that you enjoy that signature.

Both are somewhat cool, but in terms of space and details (especially in the midrange), the S9 and the iPod touch don't have what it takes, but the touch does a better job. I've not heard a single BA that the S9 can really handle. Driving an amp however, it is great.

Did you use your S9 completely flat, without BBE adjustments ? I've personally noticed that indeed, the S9 SQ on "normal" seems of a lesser quality than the iPod touch 2G, especially as you said in the mid frequencies. However, by using a few BBE effects (I personally use MP Enhance, 3D Suround, Mach3Bass, and extensive EQ modification, all used moderately to flatten / correct the sound signature of my headphones to my liking) the S9 took the lead. And I didn't use an amp.

It took me time to get to the sound signature I was looking for (especially adjusting the EQ, not only in terms of dB, but also in terms of frequency and width), but I've succeeded with the S9 to turn the IE8 from a pair of headphones I really did not like into something much more refined and subtle to my ears. I did not spend as much time fine-tuning the SM2, but with a few BBE settings activated and a quick EQ adjustment, it was already sounding better than the touch to me. I've also been quite impressed by the precision of the EQ (the frequency response of my IE8 and SM2 is very similar now). Otherwise, I suppose it's a question of taste
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #30 of 72
Yes, without BBE, it is quite one of the worst players I've used. BBE does help a lot! I am actually not that into the IE8, but the S9's EQ is quite good. I wish, however, it had a quality output without all the help. But then, that is pretty personal problem too. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back