EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,051 of 1,260
I listen to a lot of different rock and metal.  Do the SEM9 have more treble extension and detail than the Shure SE846?  Are the mids and bass not quite as dominating of the rest of the sound on the SEM9?  Are the SEM9 not quite as warm as the Sure SE846?  That is what I am looking for.  I am finding my Shure's pretty veiled now and rolled off on the treble.  I am looking for more clarity and a bit less color and overpowering low and middle frequencies.

Thank you

Riley

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #1,052 of 1,260
I listen to a lot of different rock and metal.  Do the SEM9 have more treble extension and detail than the Shure SE846?  Are the mids and bass not quite as dominating of the rest of the sound on the SEM9?  Are the SEM9 not quite as warm as the Sure SE846?  That is what I am looking for.  I am finding my Shure's pretty veiled now and rolled off on the treble.  I am looking for more clarity and a bit less color and overpowering low and middle frequencies.

Thank you

Riley
S-EM9 will fill all those blanks, I used to have both and sold the 846 for these reasons. Loved the bass but the sound lacked air.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #1,054 of 1,260
S-EM9 will fill all those blanks, I used to have both and sold the 846 for these reasons. Loved the bass but the sound lacked air.

S-EM9 sounds like a good fit for you.  I cannot imagine anyone not being satisfied and happy with it.
the fit and comfort are great too.

Thank you very much friends.  Sounds like a great fit.  I am starting to prefer a bit more air to my sound as I get more into my audio journey.

Thank you

Riley

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,055 of 1,260

Thank you very much friends.  Sounds like a great fit.  I am starting to prefer a bit more air to my sound as I get more into my audio journey.

Thank you

Riley

However, just to be clear, the S-EM9 does not have the widest or airiest soundstage. It will retain a punchy, fast and precise bass, some sweetness in the mids, with more air in the highs, but if you want a huge stage, other are better (they will have a different signature however).

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,056 of 1,260
  However, just to be clear, the S-EM9 does not have the widest or airiest soundstage. It will retain a punchy, fast and precise bass, some sweetness in the mids, with more air in the highs, but if you want a huge stage, other are better (they will have a different signature however).

Okay.  Good to know.  Please feel free to pm me other suggestions iems that would be better if you think of anything.

Thank you

Riley

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,058 of 1,260
They are different animals, sound signatures are different but both equally awesome.
andromeda is more airy, sparkle, spacious soundstage,  doesn't sound like your typical BA IEM.
S-EM9 is extremely precise, detailed, fast, tight, clear.  The bass and sub bass hits hard and is very tight.

these two are my favorite IEMs, but I ended up getting the andromeda bcs I got a good deal on it.  In a perfect world I would own both of them.

EarSonics S-EM9 ($1490)
Andromeda has a slightly wider stage, but the S-EM9’s is deeper. Due to Andromeda’s thicker note presentation, the stage placement is relatively full. The S-EM9 stage feels slightly more intimate, but the combination of leaner notes with greater treble extension and an airier stage gives it a cleaner sound. Simply said, Andromeda comes at you strong with a full-bodied sound, while the S-EM9 has a more delicate but refined presentation. Andromeda’s full sound makes it engaging, while the S-EM9’s better definition and separation gives it a different type of musicality, sounding very detailed without resorting to a brighter signature.

Both share a similar sub-bass, while the S-EM9's has more mid-bass impact, and its mid-bass is more resolving. However, Andromeda’s tighter bass is overall slightly quicker. While the S-EM9 scores points for its bass, Andromeda gets a win for its midrange: it has more body, power and warmth compared to the S-EM9. Vocals have greater size and density, especially male vocals. Both share an engaging treble, but Andromeda contrasts a thicker treble with a bit more sparkle against the S-EM9’s greater extension, which gives it an airier sound with better treble definition and articulation.
Andromeda vs EM9 @flinkenick

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #1,060 of 1,260
Hi Friends, just snagged the S-EM9 from the classifieds here and am excited to join in on the fun. I'm a current owner of the S-EM6, Velvet and SM64, so it will be fun to compare. Can't wait to receive them! Also have a few upgrade cables handy to immediately install and see how they do. Just wanted to say hello. 

-Collin-

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,062 of 1,260
Does anyone know if the 2-pins connectors on the S-EM9 are of reverse polarity?

As long as you keep the connection consistent between L/R sides (typically connectors have a dot indicator, so keep them facing the same way), it doesn't matter.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,063 of 1,260
As long as you keep the connection consistent between L/R sides (typically connectors have a dot indicator, so keep them facing the same way), it doesn't matter.

Hi Alex, thanks for the quick response. Could you elaborate on why it doesn't matter? I'm asking because I just found out today that Earsonics traditionally have their connectors on reverse polarity. I know wrong polarity would cause the iem to sound "weird" but the s-em9 has been sounding great the whole time. I switched them around today and it sounds great too. In fact, I find them sounding slightly better with great depth in soundstage and better dynamics.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #1,064 of 1,260

Just so I could sleep better tonight, I contacted Earsonics directly (replied within half hour - world class customer service right there). So there, doesn't matter so long both 2-pin connector ends are of the same orientation.

Still, I am curious though. Why some iems are affected more than the others when it comes to polarity.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,065 of 1,260

Just so I could sleep better tonight, I contacted Earsonics directly (replied within half hour - world class customer service right there). So there, doesn't matter so long both 2-pin connector ends are of the same orientation.

Still, I am curious though. Why some iems are affected more than the others when it comes to polarity.

This has been driving me sort of crazy lately as well. I actually emailed Earsonics with the exact same question a week ago with no response (lol). I ended up having a custom cable made with the polarity inverted so that I could use it on my Earsonics IEMs, but now it looks like it doesn't matter. 

For what it's worth, I have A/B'd with the polarity inverted and "correct" several times and could not hear any difference at all. The OCD in me, however, was going crazy knowing that something might be affected even though I cannot hear it. Anyway, thanks for posting this. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back