Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
May 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #421 of 1,656
So I just pulled the trigger on a pair of these from Soundearphones. I am looking forward to hearing them with my Altmann Tera after the reports of how well they match up with that DAP.

May 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #422 of 1,656
SM64 users, a MUST read. I can't stand this kind of irresponsiblity by a manufacturer, where is the quality control?

May 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #423 of 1,656
Does anyone know if the SM64 can utilize a balanced termination? I was hoping to get an aftermarket cable with a balanced termination for my RX MKIII-B

May 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #424 of 1,656
To put it bluntly

these IEM are out of phase
audible distortion
there is a great possibilty the tweeter may not be in line on one side
even if the IEM were perferctly matched there is a huge 5k suckout, worse than that of the Heir 3ai. 

May 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #426 of 1,656
Quote:
To put it bluntly

these IEM are out of phase
audible distortion
there is a great possibilty the tweeter may not be in line on one side
even if the IEM were perferctly matched there is a huge 5k suckout, worse than that of the Heir 3ai. 

Mine sound pretty nice. You think it might be a defective pair?

May 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #427 of 1,656
Mine sound pretty nice. You think it might be a defective pair?

Based on the pair Rin measured and heard, with all due respect I would re-evaluate what you think good sound is, because the thing is abomination, a company should take responsiblity for this sort of thing. 

May 23, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #428 of 1,656
Let's try not to ruin this thread by making it about graph's and a graph vs listener discussion.  I just don't want to see this get derailed like the 4ai thread did.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 23, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #429 of 1,656
What's detailing are the claims the manufacturer is claiming but fails horribly to show.

These have very nice bass to be fair, but the rest is horrid

May 23, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #430 of 1,656
That freq graph looks horrible indeed. Around 5k is completely gone.

May 23, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #431 of 1,656
Quote:
SM64 users, a MUST read. I can't stand this kind of irresponsiblity by a manufacturer, where is the quality control?

Is it a quality control issue or a design flaw?

Any chance this was a defective pair?

If it's a design flaw then it's surprising that the model got released considering you'd have to imagine they would know that eventually the drop at 5k would come out and become a hot issue.

The person who tested it deserves a pat on the back, and at the same time I probably would have felt weird about releasing the info until I got my hands on a second pair to confirm it wasn't a one-off problem. 

May 23, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #432 of 1,656
Is it a quality control issue or a design flaw?

Any chance this was a defective pair?

If it's a design flaw then it's surprising that the model got released considering you'd have to imagine they would know that eventually the drop at 5k would come out and become a hot issue.

The person who tested it deserves a pat on the back, and at the same time I probably would have felt weird about releasing the info until I got my hands on a second pair to confirm it wasn't a one-off problem. 

The tweeter is perhaps a unit flaw but the rest is likely part of the design, these are mass produced so pairs are going to share the dip, distortion, etc. Even then it's a huge QC issue to be selling a poorly soldered IEM out to people, quality control is horrid. No wonder users also experience cracked shells, the quality isn't there....

May 23, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #433 of 1,656
This is earsonics we are talking about. They cannot release a product without issuing a V2 a month after the launch. Looks like they will need V3 with SM64 to make it sound alright. Hopefully they will change the crappy plastic body as well.   

May 23, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #434 of 1,656
Quote:
The tweeter is perhaps a unit flaw but the rest is likely part of the design, these are mass produced so pairs are going to share the dip, distortion, etc. Even then it's a huge QC issue to be selling a poorly soldered IEM out to people, quality control is horrid. No wonder users also experience cracked shells, the quality isn't there....

This Rin fella deserves a medal.  I hadn't run across his website before.  Going to be spending some time reading I think. 

Seems to like Westone products okay, which is usually my go-to brand. 

May 23, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #435 of 1,656
Good to see its graph. Thank Rin for the effort.

I did have a chance to put on the SM64 for about 15 min and very disappointed as i feel there was something wrong with the soundstage and the overall spectrum sounded incoherent. Seeing the measurements now explained well what i heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back