Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Oct 19, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #61 of 1,687

Quote:
Is there any difference between Sensorcom or Westone/Ety tri-flanges? Does Sensorcom have a larger opening?

The sensorcom tips look like this:

1334.jpg

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #62 of 1,687
Quote:
I have a quick question.  What is a good earphone tip/sleeve, preferably silicon, that I can buy in the US that will work with the SM3 without any mod or spacers?  Thanks!

You might wanna try some westone triple flanges. I did cut a couple of mm off the stem so that the  SM3's don't stick out. Maybe you won't need to.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #63 of 1,687

Quote:
Is there any difference between Sensorcom or Westone/Ety tri-flanges? Does Sensorcom have a larger opening?

I think when people say Sensorcom tips they mean these:
Sensorcom Double-Flange Silicone Tips

These double-flange tips have larger opening compare to those Westone single/triple-flange tips. In my case (and I believe most Sensorcom tips lover here), I have to cut the stem to make it shorter so that they sit still in my ears.

EDIT: Triple-flange tips from Westone, Ety and Shure are identical, they have a very small opening. If you want triple-flange tips with a larger opening you can always try the Monster triple-flange tips, but you need some spacers to fit the tips on the SM3's nozzle.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #64 of 1,687
Oh, ok, multiflaments. I thought mentioned about TriFlanges.

Arent they disturbing? How is the comfort?

Quote:
The sensorcom tips look like this:

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #65 of 1,687
@KLS: I have Monster Triple's, but I cant say I was comfortable with those. Anyway, SM3's are on the way, this weekend I will find out what is the best..

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #68 of 1,687

Quote:

I think when people say Sensorcom tips they mean these:
Sensorcom Double-Flange Silicone Tips

These double-flange tips have larger opening compare to those Westone single/triple-flange tips. In my case (and I believe most Sensorcom tips lover here), I have to cut the stem to make it shorter so that they sit still in my ears.

EDIT: Triple-flange tips from Westone, Ety and Shure are identical, they have a very small opening. If you want triple-flange tips with a larger opening you can always try the Monster triple-flange tips, but you need some spacers to fit the tips on the SM3's nozzle.

If I'm not mistaken, Sensorcom just re-sells those, but they are in fact tips for Alpine hearing protectors. It's a bit confusing with that Sensorcom company, since they don't clearly communicate where they source their tips from.

By the way, the Alpine tips are my favorite for the SM3.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #69 of 1,687
I've seen the chart before but, it is hard to find everything here, or waiting.

How about custom eartips? Is yours' nozzle large? I am thinking about having custom eartips because I am feeling very comfortable with my customs.

Quote:
hasanyuceer, for your information (in case you miss this awesome chart):
average_joe's tips choice and comparison 
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair of custom eartips (from Earsonics) for my SM3, but I prefer the Sensorcom double-flange more. Easy to fit and don't sound as warm as the custom eartips. The Sensorcom double-flange is a must-try in my opinion.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #70 of 1,687
Still, the best tips for me on the SM3 are the Shure large single silicon flex tips. Gives me a great seal and bring the treble up with the mids to my ears.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #71 of 1,687

Quote:
Wow! Good to know you prefer the Sensorcom tips, that will definitely spare me some hard-earned cash^^

average_joe prefers his EarSonics's custom tips. koonhua90 and slaters70 who use UM56 for their SM3 also prefer(ed) custom tips to the other tips. So, in my opinion, you won't know how good, or bad custom tips are until you try out yourself
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I've seen the chart before but, it is hard to find everything here, or waiting.

How about custom eartips? Is yours' nozzle large? I am thinking about having custom eartips because I am feeling very comfortable with my customs.

Nozzle diameter of Westone triple-flange tips: 1.5mm
Nozzle diameter of EarSonics custom tips: 2mm
Nozzle diameter of Sensorcom (or Alpine ^^) double-flange tips: 3mm

The EarSonics custom tips have a flat surface, which means they don't 'cover' or 'hold' any part of the earpiece. So when inserting the custom tips into your ears, they will 'swivel' around the nozzle, which is a real frustration to me. Wearing these custom tips is not an easy work ^^;

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #72 of 1,687

Quote:
hasanyuceer, for your information (in case you miss this awesome chart):
average_joe's tips choice and comparison 
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair of custom eartips (from Earsonics) for my SM3, but I prefer the Sensorcom double-flange more. Easy to fit and don't sound as warm as the custom eartips. The Sensorcom double-flange is a must-try in my opinion.

Hi KLS, how have you been?  I hope all is well with you.  I agree with you about the custom eartips vs. the sensorcom (er, Alpine), which is what I am now using with the SM3.  I was going to drill out the bore on my custom tips, but haven't got around to it yet.  I would do it right now, but my custom tips are at work.

And the sensorcom tips in the picture at the top of the page work well also, but are more difficult to get a good angle resulting in more difficulty getting a good seal for me.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #73 of 1,687
In case anyone's interested, my SM3s are now sold and on their way to their new owner, who I'm sure will report back on their findings.

To keep you in the loop with my current state of madness - I am now loving a pair of RE-252s like they were the last woman on earth, and a very fit one to boot. Probably the best sounding iems I've every heard, and the fit is simply to die for darhling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back