Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Oct 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,036 of 1,687

I hated the sound of them with the filters out, to my ears they become sibilant and the bass disappears. I actually replaced the green filters in mine with some black foam from a pop filter on a microphone. Did A/B tests till the sound was on par from the factory. I kept having one of the green filters almost falling out, so i improvised.
Quote:

I can't say I'm impressed with their customer service thus far - I've had to send multiple emails with follow up phone calls to get any sort of response. Anyway, they finally sent me some new sound tubes (with filters) which was helpful. When I went to insert the sound tube however, I noticed a green filter jammed precariously at the very bottom of the nozzle. I attempted to remove this which unfortunately caused it to drop down and disappear into the earpiece.

I was pretty disappointed, as they were clearly like this out of the box and faulty upon arrival, so I requested a replacement. They have replied saying that that they will repair it rather than replace it, and only on the condition that I cover all postage costs.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that this is bad customer service?

Also, how much is this likely to affect the sound? I'm listening to them at the moment and they still sound balanced.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,037 of 1,687

Quote:
I hated how the sound of them with the filters out, to my ears they become sibilant and the bass disappears. I actually replaced the green filters in mine with some black foam from a pop filter on a microphone. Did A/B tests till the sound was on par from the factory. I kept having one of the green filters almost falling out, so i improvised.

Yeah, I hated the filter-less sound too.  What I meant was, I'm listening to them with the filters, but the left earpiece has an additional green filter (minus the metal tube) which fell down into the earpiece.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,038 of 1,687

images
Joo got sa prollens maing.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Yeah, I hated the filter-less sound too.  What I meant was, I'm listening to them with the filters, but the left earpiece has an additional green filter (minus the metal tube) which fell down into the earpiece. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,039 of 1,687
@gudiostrunk:   I agree that the sound without the filters is too harsh and sibilant. I also tried foam but never found the right combination so I went the the Knowles dampers.  I seems like either Knowles has some variation in damper size or Earsonics has some variation in the size of the nozzles.  This sounds like a problem Earsonics should be willing to fix.

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,040 of 1,687

Agreed, I think the filter is extremely cheaply made. It took me about an hour to get the right amount of foam to get them to sound like factory.
Quote:
@gudiostrunk:   I agree that the sound without the filters is too harsh and sibilant. I also tried foam but never found the right combination so I went the the Knowles dampers.  I seems like either Knowles has some variation in damper size or Earsonics has some variation in the size of the nozzles.  This sounds like a problem Earsonics should be willing to fix.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #1,041 of 1,687
Just grabbed a used pair of SM3 v1's, and I'm loving them already! They sound like a blend between the TF10, ER4, and UM3X (to my ears): Soundstage and strong bass of the TF10, detail and clarity of the ER4, and separation, comfort, and awesome cables of the UM3X. I think my search for my perfect IEM is over *knock on wood* 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #1,042 of 1,687

Quote:
Just grabbed a used pair of SM3 v1's, and I'm loving them already! They sound like a blend between the TF10, ER4, and UM3X (to my ears): Soundstage and strong bass of the TF10, detail and clarity of the ER4, and separation, comfort, and awesome cables of the UM3X. I think my search for my perfect IEM is over *knock on wood* 
smily_headphones1.gif

i think, ive said that before.....

after ive heard the fx700 and bought one.
after i bought a cc51 by mee and was and is impressed till now by it.
and the shl500 by philips.

hahaha.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,043 of 1,687

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh I know that feeling all too well...am still in a torrid love affair with my Sm3 V1s! LOL

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,044 of 1,687
After serving me for about 10 months, my SM3 v1's died on me today. While listening, the left channel just disappeared :frowning2:
When I increase the volume, it is still there but very very quiet.

These are still under warranty and I contacted SoundEarphones. Let's see if they can exchange them for v2.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,045 of 1,687

Quote:
After serving me for about 10 months, my SM3 v1's died on me today. While listening, the left channel just disappeared :frowning2:
When I increase the volume, it is still there but very very quiet.

These are still under warranty and I contacted SoundEarphones. Let's see if they can exchange them for v2.

When I put them on again yesterday, sound was back. Weird..

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,046 of 1,687

Quote:
When I put them on again yesterday, sound was back. Weird..

This happened to me once with Shure 535. I put them in after a killer workout, and got excessive water in them. Shortly after maybe an hour or so maybe more worked fine

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #1,047 of 1,687
I baby my Sm3 v1s far too much. I never use them for any activities which may involve water or sweat or extreme temps. Thats what the GR07 are for :p

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #1,048 of 1,687

Quote:
I baby my Sm3 v1s far too much. I never use them for any activities which may involve water or sweat or extreme temps. Thats what the GR07 are for :p

I guess low temp is what happened to mine for a while when the sound disappeared. They are fine now, thanks god :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #1,050 of 1,687
I've had these since March using with my iphone and thought they were ok.

Recently I picked up a Fiio e10 and have been using these at work (quieter environment compared to streets/train)
just listening to streaming mp3 on Pandora and these are truly outstanding. 

I just need to bring in an external hard drive to work with some flacs  and then I'll really be in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back