EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #2,731 of 2,831

Quote:
I don't think it was ever 289.  299 was the lowest and the price went up since.  My instinct tells me to cancel my order.  My head says I'll go nuts not knowing what the real story is with these things.

Dweaver.  You want more treble on the Coppers or just the SM3's?  I couldn't handle anymore treble on the Coppers.

Just the SM3, I wouldn't want more treble on the Copper's either. In fact I think the Copper's do cymbals darn near perfect for me :).

BTW when I get a deep insertion the treble of the SM3 is closer to the Copper in terms of volume so I am not saying the SM3 are bad or anything. This is just the one area I would like them to be a bit louder in for me and only a bit.

Also I think you might quite like the SM3 Anaxilus, I am looking forward to your impressions.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #2,732 of 2,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now with regards to EQ: given what Photofan suggested, i've actually gone back and tweaked my EQ settings on the J3 down to flat but still keeping BBE at maximum, cos I just think it sounds better that way.  I'll admit it does sounds great, but will need to spend some time with it to see if its an improvement over my previous settings.  My gut feel says yes, cos there was a hint of harshness in the treble that has now been smoothed out. Am, not afraid to admit I might have been wrong there, so thanks for pointing that out.

Forgive my ignorance... but... what is BBE?

I have a Zune 120 which doesn't have an equalizer. Still I am quite content with its default sound and almost never wish there was one. Now after reading your and Photofan's comments about how good the SM3 performs without EQing, I am more hopeful about the result of non-equalizable Zune 120 + SM3 combo...

Have you ever compared the Cowon and the Zune?

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #2,733 of 2,831

Quote:
My instinct tells me to cancel my order.  My head says I'll go nuts not knowing what the real story is with these things.

I'm not going to cancel my order and for selfish reasons I hope you don't. For the fact that you strike me as a no-BS, analytical type, I am curious to hear your take on these... almost as curious to hear my own! 
wink_face.gif

For this reason and others I'll probably order the DBA-02 today. While last night I had sort of an Ah-Ha moment with the SE535, I'm too curious to know what these two sound like and how they compare. If better than the 535, they're keepers otherwise they are FS. But if I don't hear them with my own crazy ears I'll always wonder... 
triportsad.gif

shane

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #2,734 of 2,831

Quote:

I'm not going to cancel my order and for selfish reasons I hope you don't. For the fact that you strike me as a no-BS, analytical type, I am curious to hear your take on these... almost as curious to hear my own! 
wink_face.gif

For this reason and others I'll probably order the DBA-02 today. While last night I had sort of an Ah-Ha moment with the SE535, I'm too curious to know what these two sound like and how they compare. If better than the 535, they're keepers otherwise they are FS. But if I don't hear them with my own crazy ears I'll always wonder... 
triportsad.gif

shane

That's always the way to find out what you like best... just purchase the other earphone you've been wondering about, compare to your current favorite, sell off the loser. Looking forward to seeing how the SM3 compares to the SE535. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #2,735 of 2,831

Quote:
wink_face.gif

Same here. Impartial and insightful impressions of how earphones perform are welcome and encouraged.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #2,736 of 2,831
Its a bit of a mindbender mate, but I'll try and explain BBE+ is sound enhancement software that you can apply on Cowon's devices, either through pre-sets or as part of a custom eq setting.  My J3 has loads of presets and 4 custom eq slots you can use, so there's myriad options to tweak and do your head in with.

I've gone through loads of permutations with my SM3, and am now trying out a flat custom eq without any added BBE+ (this seems to make the sound brighter and shinier and louder mostly), but with some Mach3Bass added (seems to extend and improve the bass response so its nice and tight and controlled) and BBE MP enhancement (basically something that improves lossy recordings).

What a Zune sounds like though I have no idea - never even seen one I don't think, let alone tried one out.  Am sure you'll be hunky dory with the SM3 though.

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance... but... what is BBE?

I have a Zune 120 which doesn't have an equalizer. Still I am quite content with its default sound and almost never wish there was one. Now after reading your and Photofan's comments about how good the SM3 performs without EQing, I am more hopeful about the result of non-equalizable Zune 120 + SM3 combo...

Have you ever compared the Cowon and the Zune?

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #2,737 of 2,831

Quote:
That's always the way to find out what you like best... just purchase the other earphone you've been wondering about, compare to your current favorite, sell off the loser. Looking forward to seeing how the SM3 compares to the SE535. 

X2

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2,738 of 2,831
Could anyone state their experiences with using the SM3 with an amp. Specifically higher-end portable amps(Headstage Arrow, iQube, ALO Rx). If anyone could also state their experiences using the LISA III or a home equivalent that would also be great.

Please talk mainly about SQ differences.

Thanks for any and all help!

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #2,739 of 2,831
meurgly50 ... I have the Zune80 and had the SM3s. In my view, the SM3s needed a treble boost (no news really, I have said it before), so I was never satisfied with the SM3s and the Zune80. I now also have a ZuneHD, which does have an EQ, but I never use it since I sold the SM3s (my two primary IEMs, the DBAs and the RE-Zeros, need no treble boost). Not sure if this helps. Only you can tell whether or not the SM3 treble is right for you. It was not for me. Everything else about the SM3s I loved.

I also had a J3 (returned it to buy the ZuneHD 16GB and a Touch 64GB, which were just $110 more than the J3 combined), and like Benny, I did use the EQ with the SM3s, especially the treble sliders (on custom settings) and some of the presets.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #2,740 of 2,831

Quote:
I must say that in spite of all the attacking of eric's post style, and profession (which is pretty repulsive by its own merit, music), I find his observations some of the most insightful and spot on around here. I for one am not put off by his writing style and passionate conveying of his impressions.

Also music, you should be cautious of your political discussions. It's strictly forbidden in the rules here on HF, and you never know who you will offend by discussing such topics in the manner you have. It borders on a reportable offense. 

And yes, let's get back to discussing the SM3.

Reading your post on on the discussion of politics reminded me of this Dave Chappelle skit:

/http://www.astafun.com/funny-videos/dave-chappelle-about-clinton-and-bush/

beyersmile.png

I'm also a DDM user and now got an SM3 on the way! Really looking forward to checking it out, I picked up the DDM after big disappointment with the TF10 Pro's.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #2,743 of 2,831

Quote:
meurgly50 ... I have the Zune80 and had the SM3s. In my view, the SM3s needed a treble boost (no news really, I have said it before), so I was never satisfied with the SM3s and the Zune80. I now also have a ZuneHD, which does have an EQ, but I never use it since I sold the SM3s (my two primary IEMs, the DBAs and the RE-Zeros, need no treble boost). Not sure if this helps. Only you can tell whether or not the SM3 treble is right for you. It was not for me. Everything else about the SM3s I loved.

I also had a J3 (returned it to buy the ZuneHD 16GB and a Touch 64GB, which were just $110 more than the J3 combined), and like Benny, I did use the EQ with the SM3s, especially the treble sliders (on custom settings) and some of the presets.

tstarn06- sounds like a fit/seal issue. The vast majority of SM3 owners don't report any sort of treble issue whatsoever. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #2,744 of 2,831
@cn11 How is the synergy between your SM3 and your Headstage Arrow?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #2,745 of 2,831
cn11 ... Not sure who tstarn06 is, or why you needed to post that, but nope, that's not the case for me. Most SM3 users and I don't share the same POV on the treble, I guess. However, I do know Shigzeo, in his extensive review, does point out that the SM3s are missing that sparkle in the treble area. And there is one other person I know who has tried the SM3 (she never owned them) and agreed with that assessment as well (shared it with me privately). So no, it was not a fit/seal issue, especially since I used the SM3s with UM56 custom sleeves on occasion, and the sparkle was still missing from an otherwise excellent IEM. Had the SM3s offered that as part of their sound sig, I would still have them here with me. Because other than that, I really did like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back