EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
May 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #241 of 2,831
1 Year warranty, Franck will work with you after that (I think 30 Euros for repair service).

Coppers are preferred to me over the IE8, but they are not the be-all-end-all to me.  They are both on similar playing fields, as the Copper can't touch the IE8 soundstage width and the IE8 has better intricate instrument details than the Copper.

Using a boxing reference for mayweather: In my opinion, the Copper and IE8 and (fill in the blank) are amateur, and the SM3 is in the pro circuit!  Sure, the others are good, but there is a step above and when pitted against the better fighters, the reason they are amateurs comes out!  The SM3 knocked out all of it's competition in short time for me.  CK10, down for the count.  FX700, they stopped the fight early.  Threw in the towel for the GR8.  e-Q7 went the furthest of the competition, but was still knocked out.  The Copper, CK90Pro, and RE252 have yet to step in the ring.  And the MD also had a shot at a quick promotional fight, but was still knocked out!  That is how I see it!

Another way is the Copper to the SM3 is apples to elephants :)

Quote:

And that same person also has the DBA-02, which he says is extremely good, especially for the price.  However, the SM3 (which he received Saturday) is a clear step up from the DBA-02.  I am still contemplating getting the DBA-02, but I am selling everything else as I don't want to go down, so why?

Still not sure I want the DBA-02, but am more certain I will not get them as my friend's additional comparisons don't warrant it as, while very good, they are amateurs also :)

May 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #242 of 2,831

Quote:
1 Year warranty, Franck will work with you after that (I think 30 Euros for repair service).

Coppers are preferred to me over the IE8, but they are not the be-all-end-all to me.  They are both on similar playing fields, as the Copper can't touch the IE8 soundstage width and the IE8 has better intricate instrument details than the Copper.

Using a boxing reference for mayweather: In my opinion, the Copper and IE8 and (fill in the blank) are amateur, and the SM3 is in the pro circuit!  Sure, the others are good, but there is a step above and when pitted against the better fighters, the reason they are amateurs comes out!  The SM3 knocked out all of it's competition in short time for me.  CK10, down for the count.  FX700, they stopped the fight early.  Threw in the towel for the GR8.  e-Q7 went the furthest of the competition, but was still knocked out.  The Copper, CK90Pro, and RE252 have yet to step in the ring.  And the MD also had a shot at a quick promotional fight, but was still knocked out!  That is how I see it!

Another way is the Copper to the SM3 is apples to elephants :)

Still not sure I want the DBA-02, but am more certain I will not get them as my friend's additional comparisons don't warrant it as, while very good, they are amateurs also :)

****! You just stole my money, sucka! I'ma git you, fool!
You basically just robbed me out of my money, with your helpful message (I really liked the way you compared boxing with the earphones/+ the warranty info).
lol, my mouth is watering over them.
Umm, I'm just wondering but can the earphones play "Dark songs" well?

Dark songs as in songs with this type of vibe.
Apart from that, I'm pretty much sold.

May 10, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #243 of 2,831
@ Joe, I have seen people commenting that the Arrow is slightly warm/dark in the Arrow thread. You also mentioned that the Arrow has better bass and is slightly warmer. So do you like SM3 with Alo Rx or the Headstage Arrow?

What about other users of SM3 out there, amped or unamped? The cable is not detachable right? So no chance of going balanced on the SM3?

May 10, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #244 of 2,831
@ mayweather: No offense, but watch your language. I am OK with it
ph34r.gif
, but mods may not like it.

May 10, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #247 of 2,831

Quote:
Well, I am not really a fan of apple product. After I first got the Ipod Nano 5G, I am not particularly satisfied with the sound quality of it. To me, the bass is bloated. Flat eq is not flat, but it's colored.

I don't know about others iPod, but to me iPhone sounds very 'clean'. I know iPhone is not great in sound quality, but it is very portable
regular_smile .gif

I am going to get some Sony DAP though!

May 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #248 of 2,831

Quote:
I always enjoy reading your impression, shigzeo. Your analogy, metaphor and descriptions are always mind boggling and interesting, or should I say, poised?

Anyway, could you please elaborate on the 'poignance'? I checked the meaning out, and it can have negative meanings in certain context. On webster merriam website, 'poignant' can mean painfully affecting one's feelings, or it can also mean deeply affecting. Or 'a pleasurably stimulating'...

It's the last one!

May 11, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #250 of 2,831
OK, a few more of my thoughts on the SM3:
- The bass out of the box was near FX700 levels.  Now, while it still can draw powerful bass when the song has it, the bass is now more neutral.  But it has much more weight than the e-Q7, CK10, CK90Pro, etc.  It can be visceral.
- While I agree that tips do play a big role into how the SM3 sounds, I am using the same tips as I was using when I thought they were too warm.
- I used my Fuze HPO and iPhone HPO tonight.  The SM3 does indeed sound better when amped from my 5.5g line out.  The iPhone sounds better than the Fuze, both from HPO.  Not that any is bad with the SM3, but the HPO does not have the space and depth of the amped 5.5g.

The SM3 is the most resolving IEM I have heard, therefore the better the source setup from music to DAC to amp to SM3 will be more critical as to what you hear.  The original video that was posted by mayweather was very flat front to back.  And many rap/R&B tracks I have have distorted bass since it is maxed out and clips.  The SM3 will bring those issues to the front, and the Copper might be a better choice.

Plus, I am changing my recommendation to using an amp from a line out for the SM3 to truly hear the potential.  Or, the S:flo2 might be a good source via HPO because of the DAC.  Who knows, maybe the Studio also.  I know, other than the hiss, the AMP3 added some nice space vs. the Fuze/iPhone.

May 11, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #251 of 2,831
I like drums on SM3. They definitely have the weight which e-Q7 and CK10 don't have
regular_smile .gif

I listen to SM3 with the Shure yellow foamies for the whole night yesterday.They have good clarity, but I don't like how they sound.

Have you received the Sensorcom tips?

May 11, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #252 of 2,831
Not yet on the tips, but I will probably have the tips tomorrow evening.

I really didn't care for the Shure yellow foam either.  Those MC triple flange are magic for my ears, but I am hoping the sensorcom tips are better!

When are you getting your custom sleeves?  And ever thought of getting a S:flo2?

May 11, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #253 of 2,831
I am going to an audiologist around end of this month. By then, I am going to try some Monster triple flange
regular_smile .gif
 If the Sensorcom tips turn out to pair up well with SM3, I am thinking of getting some too.

I plan to get a new DAP after selling my HiFiMAN. Currently thinking of Sony A series, and am eyeing on the S:Flo 2 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back