EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
May 10, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #211 of 2,831
Quote:

I have some Shure triple flange (which seems to me the same to the Ety's), I tried on them but don't really like them. Not that the triple flanges mess up the sound, but I can't get a good fit with them.

Franck told me the Shure triple flange fold in the ears and compress the sound, and another owner I know agrees.  The Shure triple flange tips I have don't seal well for me.

Quote:
I have to agree one have to take extra care with the comply tips if you want them to last longer. I clean my ear canals with wet q-tips before I insert the foam tips into my ears. So even though I am using mine for 2 months and they are becoming soft now, they are still as clean as new
regular_smile%20.gif

For the sake of your wallet, I suggest at least wait until the x-jays to be released
devil_face.gif
 Though I am very satisfied with my SM3 now, I couldn't help but have my eyes on the x-jays.

And there are the Radius and Fischer Audio...

And that same person also has the DBA-02, which he says is extremely good, especially for the price.  However, the SM3 (which he received Saturday) is a clear step up from the DBA-02.  I am still contemplating getting the DBA-02, but I am selling everything else as I don't want to go down, so why?

Oh, and Comply foam lasts me a month tops and I keep my ears clean.  No comment on the x-Jays :)
Quote:
Well, I am holding off any further purchase until I get my pico slim and the sflo2, which might not be so soon in the foreseeable few weeks...

Besides, I think the x-jays will still take quite some time before it's even on retail, so my wallet is safe for now  
rolleyes.gif

You too!  Some day we will both be listening to our S:flo2 and Pico Slim. 

Quote:
This is suppose to be forum that exchanges ideas and knowledge so I thought? Happy listening. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

All is cool, much ado about nothing :)

Quote:
hmm. curious for a comparison with the monsters turbines(copper/MDs) that was never inserted hehe- though it seems like they're already a step behind the FX-700/SM3s :D

and just for clarification: these are BAs right?

Quote:
YES, The SM3 are BA......I would imagine that Joe has not had time to Finalize his thoughts comparing the SM3 to the MD's/Coppers, I can't really speak for Joe, I'm sure he will reveal his thoughts soon enough, he does have an opinion though.

@ search, yes, you nailed it (like usual).   I have my thoughts on the MDs v the SM3, but have not A/Bed the Copper, CK90Pro, or RE252 vs. the SM3 (at least more than 5 minutes each).  To be honest, I am not so sure how much I want to compare anymore since I have come to the realization that the SM3 is the most accurate reproduction of the music I have heard.  To my ears, preference for how I want to hear the music, and how technically excellent the SM3 is the comparison is hard to do and not really fair. 

Now, I have done a comparison of the Copper and FX700.  To my ears, the Copper is better in the upper half of the spectrum, so some male vocals and female vocals sound better on the Copper to me, and the FX700 lower half is better, tighter bass with more detail and better speed.  The FX700 soundstage width is nice and much bigger with the FX700, but the Copper is more 3D (and with the HUD-MX1 to Rx the Copper space does increase a lot).

If people remember the confusion from the top-tier thread as to how I was describing the SM3 soundstage, I am not hearing it like my other IEMs.  My thoughts have gone from what top-tier IEM do I want to listen to today so I can hear their specialty to how fast will I be able to get my SM3s repaired/replaced should something happen to them.

May 10, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #212 of 2,831

Quote:
Franck told me the Shure triple flange fold in the ears and compress the sound, and another owner I know agrees.  The Shure triple flange tips I have don't seal well for me.

And that same person also has the DBA-02, which he says is extremely good, especially for the price.  However, the SM3 (which he received Saturday) is a clear step up from the DBA-02.  I am still contemplating getting the DBA-02, but I am selling everything else as I don't want to go down, so why?

Oh, and Comply foam lasts me a month tops and I keep my ears clean.  No comment on the x-Jays :)

Ah I should have clarified: Actually I spent no more than 1 track with the Shure triple flange, which means less than 5 minutes
regular_smile .gif
  The seal and fit don't do it for me, so I never use them since then. And Franck told me not to use Ety triple flanges, which to me seems to be the same thing to the Shure triple flanges.

Wow another SM3 owner! Any reports from him on out of box impressions?

May 10, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #213 of 2,831
hey how's the build on the SM3? would it be able to survive daily use like commuting(bus and train), walking around, exercise, etc. or would you consider these as for home/office use only?

May 10, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #214 of 2,831

Quote:

Ah I should have clarified: Actually I spent no more than 1 track with the Shure triple flange, which means less than 5 minutes
regular_smile%20.gif
  The seal and fit don't do it for me, so I never use them since then. And Franck told me not to use Ety triple flanges, which to me seems to be the same thing to the Shure triple flanges.

Wow another SM3 owner! Any reports from him on out of box impressions?

Not all that impressed and stated his DBA-02 sounded better due to clarity.  But he could hear some greatness in there!  He is using the Atrio foam, which seems to work very well for him and he now says they are noticeably better than the DBA-02 now.  But then he knew exactly what to expect!

Quote:
hey how's the build on the SM3? would it be able to survive daily use like commuting(bus and train), walking around, exercise, etc. or would you consider these as for home/office use only?

I wouldn't say they appear to be the most durable, but can't be worse than my IE8 that had the nozzle come off (actually, both sides).  It really depends on how careful you are with your stuff IMO.

May 10, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #216 of 2,831

Quote:
So what kind of tips can, ostensibly give the best sound while not sacrificing isolation on the SM3? Since ety's triple flange is out of question...

Hopefully my sensorcom tips will get to me soon (although there is another soon to be SM3 owner I know that already has the tips).  The MC triple flange work for me, as do the Ety glider tips.  The Shure foam (olive) work for me in the large size.  The included tips, but like I said, I have not gone back to those due to how long they last.  I am sure as time goes, others will give their thoughts.

And then there are always custom sleeves, which I will get sometime fairly soon.

May 10, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #217 of 2,831

Quote:

Quoted from @shigzeo's review on SM2. Original post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/439903/earsonics-sm2-dlx-dual-ba-iem-review-and-impressions-thread

The highlighted part is very true. The most disappointing part in the build. I won't take them for exercise for sure
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
 Build Quality
As a professional monitor, it would be a mistake to expect less than supreme construction. Earsonics have done their homework. There is nothing on the universal monitor market which stands up to their craftsmanship - unless it is Westone. The two companies utilise the same twisted cable which is both strong and exhibits nearly no touch-noise. Terminated in a block-shaped right-angle headphone plug, the jack is housed in impact-resistant plastic which is properly shrunk on to the cable with ~1 cm bumpers. Similarly, the SM2’s earpieces and y-split are shrink-bumped for strength and longevity. Stress relief is an extremely important part of protecting your investment and it is refreshing to see another manufacturer take such care with its products.

Although the SM2 utilises the same cable as the UM3X, and admittedly, looks to have a common ancestor, it isn’t quite as ergonomic. Both are comfortable and strong, but the Earsonics’ choice of angular plains is a small step down from Westone’s more natural curves. Still, the SM2 sits extremely flush in the ear and is among the better thought out designs among top-tier universal earphones. This makes cold weather wearing easier; adding a toque to your minus 20 listening wardrobe is as natural as a pair of woollen mitts.

Plastic seams aren’t melted together as precisely as Westone’s UM3X, sometimes opening ever so slightly along the furrow. That said, the differences are mostly cosmetic as beneath the seams are plastic sills which effectively protect the earphone’s innards from the the environment. The SM2 indeed, is one of the most robustly-constructed earphones on the market. If the UM3X outpaces it in construction quality and ergonomics, it is by the smallest of margins, and maybe better determined by personal taste.

@average_joe, great to know your friend is enjoying them. Is he a Head-Fier? If not ask him to sign up for an account and post his thoughts!

@average_joe and @koonhua90, I find that with shallow fit (for example the Shure yellow foamies), SM3 shows some good clarity but sacrifices their dynamics and 3D presentation. With a deep insertion (with the stock comply tips), dynamics and 3D presentation is top notch, but the sound become a little bit muddy, and might be too intimate to some, compared to shallow fit. So I hope that there is something in between, not to sacrifice dynamics and 3D presentation yet giving good clarity. Perhaps custom sleeves, and Sensorcom tips is the answer
regular_smile .gif

May 10, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #218 of 2,831

Quote:

Quoted from @shigzeo's review on SM2. Original post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/439903/earsonics-sm2-dlx-dual-ba-iem-review-and-impressions-thread

The highlighted part is very true. The most disappointing part in the build. I won't take them for exercise for sure
regular_smile%20.gif

@average_joe, great to know your friend is enjoying them. Is he a Head-Fier? If not ask him to sign up for an account and post his thoughts!

@average_joe and @koonhua90, I find that with shallow fit (for example the Shure yellow foamies), SM3 shows some good clarity but sacrifices their dynamics and 3D presentation. With a deep insertion (with the stock comply tips), dynamics and 3D presentation is top notch, but the sound become a little bit muddy, and might be too intimate to some, compared to shallow fit. So I hope that there is something in between, not to sacrifice dynamics and 3D presentation yet giving good clarity. Perhaps custom sleeves, and Sensorcom tips is the answer
regular_smile%20.gif

Could it be that your tip has too small a hole for the nozzle? As far as I know, the monster triple flange hole is at least ~2mm bigger than the one on Ety's triple flange. I have also ordered some triple flange, just to prepare, in case I get to sell my IE8, then most probably I will get this SM3.

May 10, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #219 of 2,831
@koonhua90, yes I think the same. I look at some pictures of the Monster triple flange and find that the bore looks bigger than the Shure or Ety triple flange. The stock foam tips and the Shure yellow foamies has almost the same bore size, perhaps with the Shure yellow foamies being slightly bigger.

SM3 is really tips dependent. And I see why the hate or love of W3.

Good luck selling your IE8 and come join us!

EDIT: I misread your last post. For the 'yes I think the same' part I am referring to the Shure triple flange to have small bore compared to Monster triple flange. The stock foam tips has a bore size which fits nicely to SM3's nozzle, though to my eyes, the bottom of the bore size is slightly bigger than the top's. I guess the problems with stock foam tips are the material (comply foam) and deep insertion (long stock comply tips), and as you have stated, the size of the bore, which sometimes difference in 1mm will affect the sound.

May 10, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #223 of 2,831

Quote:

It is $380. I thought if lower than $400 you are jumping in?

Oh, is that you who dislike second hand stuff?
regular_smile%20.gif

Correcto, I'd prefer it new, but it's only used for 2 hours, so it's as good as new. I am not getting it, because right now the limit is not with the earphone, but with my source. I should promise myself, not to buy anything before the sflo2 comes. And besides, I am gonna have my final exam for this semester like 3 hours later.

May 10, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #225 of 2,831
Quote:
I was thinking "what the hell did I just spend $425 on?" Burn in, tips, getting used to the sound sig, who knows. But they sound so much better now, and clearer also.

Quote:
My first impression was (with the supplied comply tips, which goes in deep into the ear), SM3 has no high and veiled in the mids. You know if you have a pair of CK10 on hand and your $400 new purchase saying 'sorry I don't deliver any treble'...
frown.gif

Quote:
I too was disappointed out of the box. BA IEMs are supposed to sound the same no matter what, there is only one type of tip in the box (2 sets), and the clarity is not good because of warmth. But for whatever reason, that has changed for me.

Got them today... I sure have the same impressions with them right out of the box - they're just muddy, veiled, and lacking all treble. I immediately tried Atrio double flange silicon tips instead of the Complys (which I don't really like in any shape or size, with any phone). The Atrio tips made it a bit better, but not much. Now I'm trying single flange Shure silicon tips with less deep insertion, and they sound better.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure whether the BA drivers need burn in, or the cable or the crossover, but my thoughts on them now and two months earlier is different, using the same SM3 and with the same stock tips.
Perhaps my brain is the one to be blamed

Well, I think there's always some 'brain' adjustment to the different sound signature of a new phone, and I've never heard of BA's needing any kind of dramatic burn in. When I had my TF10, I was quite underwhelmed for the first few hours.... but gradually I adjusted to the different sound (having come from much brighter phones). So in my case it was just mental burn in. With dynamic drivers, I accept that burn in does occur in some cases - but even so, I've never noticed any major changes after the first 10/20 hours or so. I'm still hearing claims that 500 hours and more is needed for the IE8 to sound good, but mine sounded fine out of the box, and after ten hours they were all burned in
ksc75smile.gif

I hope for that as well... maybe my brain adjusts to them in some way. OTOH, I have two armature-equipped IEMs that had very noticeable "burn-in", the SE530 and the SF5v2. The SE530 cleared up within 15-30 minutes, the SF5v2 needed a few hours.

And I totally agree that the claims about IE8 burn-in are bogus for the most part. If anything, they lose treble sparkle over time, but that's unfortunately it, more or less.

Quote:
As shigzeo said, and I now agree, the SM3 is pretty easy to drive. It sounds OK out of the iPod HPO (only tried my 5.5g so far), but out of the Fuze it sounded surprisingly good! I personally don't think the Fuze drives most high end dynamics well, but the SM3 was really good out of the Fuze HPO!

They sure work well with the Clip+ too. It's usually a somewhat hissy player with those insane-specced phones with high sensitivity, but the SM3 don't hiss much and perform similarly well as on the headphone-out my AudioFire4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back