Earbuds Round-Up
May 21, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #75,528 of 75,761
Congrats on your first build! I think it's really cool that you chose the Artiste Nightingale as your first build.
I had been wanting to build a set for a while but the biggest hurdle was picking out the parts to use. The descriptions of how the Artiste Nightingale sounded are what pushed me to finally take the plunge and I'm glad I did. Do you have any similar comparisons for the other DIY builds you've made? I looked back at the build guides and searched for them on this thread but didn't find a lot about them. Would love to build a couple of them depending on how they sound.

May 21, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #75,529 of 75,761
With how much I've been travelling for doctor's appointments lately I've been on the lookout for carrying cases to protect my earbuds while travelling. Through the weird wacky wonder that is AliExpress recommendations I stumbled across this lens filter case and thought it would be perfect for storing earbuds. Thankfully I wasn't disappointed:
IMG20240521074336.jpg

While it's a little tight with four pairs of earbuds and two of Hiby's W3 II it does close and the zipper moves smoothly. I need to get a thinner cable to use with the OpenHeart Nightingale since Fiio's LC-RC is much thicker than the cables from the other earbuds in this case. And if feels a little ridiculous using a $70 cable with a $14 earbud lol. I've since found a couple more filter cases that are thicker than this one that I'm hoping to use for my other earbuds. Even if I can't fit all of them in one case this already works so much better than laying earbuds on top of each other in the other case I've been using. Being able to store less earbuds in this case is worth the tradeoff when they're so much easier to access than the other case. If anyone has a similar case they use I would love links and suggestions since it's surprisingly hard to find cases like this.

May 21, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #75,530 of 75,761
Hi and welcome deeper into the earbuds rabbit hole! There are plenty of upgrade options to the Alpha 3 that are within 200 USD, especially if you consider used sets. Few questions though:

- Where are you based?
- Have you tried MX500 and other shell designs?
- Music genres?
- preferred sound signature?
I'm located in Oregon in the United States, before getting the Alpha 3 I've tried several MX500 style earbuds but have been buying 5 packs of KBear Stellars since I found them very consistent. Currently I mostly listen to experimental and lofi, but I listen to a little bit of everything so it's difficult to narrow it down. I tend to prefer either a neutral or v shaped tuning. My first "good" pair of iems was Moondrop Arias but I currently use a pair of 7hz Zero 2 and Shure Srh840a at home

May 21, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #75,531 of 75,761
With how much I've been travelling for doctor's appointments lately I've been on the lookout for carrying cases to protect my earbuds while travelling. Through the weird wacky wonder that is AliExpress recommendations I stumbled across this lens filter case and thought it would be perfect for storing earbuds. Thankfully I wasn't disappointed:
IMG20240521074336.jpg

While it's a little tight with four pairs of earbuds and two of Hiby's W3 II it does close and the zipper moves smoothly. I need to get a thinner cable to use with the OpenHeart Nightingale since Fiio's LC-RC is much thicker than the cables from the other earbuds in this case. And if feels a little ridiculous using a $70 cable with a $14 earbud lol. I've since found a couple more filter cases that are thicker than this one that I'm hoping to use for my other earbuds. Even if I can't fit all of them in one case this already works so much better than laying earbuds on top of each other in the other case I've been using. Being able to store less earbuds in this case is worth the tradeoff when they're so much easier to access than the other case. If anyone has a similar case they use I would love links and suggestions since it's surprisingly hard to find cases like this.

Bought! That looks like just what I need for trips, thanks :beerchug:

May 21, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #75,532 of 75,761
Thank you! The Stellar is my first build with the 400Ω graphene driver and it definitely won't be the last. I went through a couple different iterations of tuning before ending up with my final build and it was great to hear what the 400's were capable of. As you mentioned, graphene drivers are unique, especially compared to the beryllium drivers of my past builds and it's been both fun and interesting working with both the 68Ω and 400Ω drivers.

Thanks for pointing out this driver. It just came, and I put it in the obligatory supplied black mx500 shell, because I hadn't actually used one of them yet :p

Took a bit of tweaking to find a tuning I liked, but it is sounding really nice! I feel like I have never heard the pluck and twang of each string in Polyphia's Playing God so beautifully before. It is really hard to drive though. I think it could give the Yinman 600's a run for their money there.

<obligatory supplied black mx500 shell>
1716305752169.png

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #75,533 of 75,761
I'll give my encouragement right now. You've mentioned you're hands are shaky, please take your time and try stabilizing your hands / arms by resting them on your table when you're soldering. Practice soldering by soldering some small wires together to get a feel for soldering. You can do it and your efforts will be rewarded with an excellent sounding set of buds.

Congrats on your first build! I think it's really cool that you chose the Artiste Nightingale as your first build.

I've thought about using soldering paste instead of solder wire. My thought is to dip the end of the small wires into the paste, hold the wire against the small mmcx connector and briefly touch the soldering area with the iron to flow the paste. Soldering paste is used for small SMD component soldering and might work well for this application.
I really appreciate your encouragement. For real. It's appreciated. I've been doing some outside soldering but it hasn't turned out as good as I want it due to the tremors. I'll try what you said and see how it goes.

And I didn't know that there's soldering paste. Interesting.

Thanks again. Did I mention you're appreciated? 🙏

May 21, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #75,535 of 75,761
I had been wanting to build a set for a while but the biggest hurdle was picking out the parts to use. The descriptions of how the Artiste Nightingale sounded are what pushed me to finally take the plunge and I'm glad I did. Do you have any similar comparisons for the other DIY builds you've made? I looked back at the build guides and searched for them on this thread but didn't find a lot about them. Would love to build a couple of them depending on how they sound.
I'd have to go back and listen to those builds again to give some simple impressions. I will say that building buds for yourself is much easier than making them for others because you can tune your builds to your prefs within the limitations of the driver's and shell's characteristics.

I've built buds that were total crud, wouldn't tune properly no matter what I tried. But I don't look at those bad builds as something negative. You'll always learn something from your failures and apply what you learned to make your future builds better. I don't claim to have "Golden Ears", and my sound prefs probably don't align with everybody else's either. Actually I'm pretty open to different earbud sound profiles as long as the overall tuning isn't at the extreme ends of too bassy or make your ears bleed high end.

In building buds be like Thomas Edison... 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration... and you will be successful.

Thanks for pointing out this driver. It just came, and I put it in the obligatory supplied black mx500 shell, because I hadn't actually used one of them yet :p

Took a bit of tweaking to find a tuning I liked, but it is sounding really nice! I feel like I have never heard the pluck and twang of each string in Polyphia's Playing God so beautifully before. It is really hard to drive though. I think it could give the Yinman 600's a run for their money there.

<obligatory supplied black mx500 shell>

Nice! The 400Ω graphene driver is a different beast. I'm still playing with that driver. I don't think I've gotten the best out of that driver yet.

I really appreciate your encouragement. For real. It's appreciated. I've been doing some outside soldering but it hasn't turned out as good as I want it due to the tremors. I'll try what you said and see how it goes.

And I didn't know that there's soldering paste. Interesting.

Thanks again. Did I mention you're appreciated? 🙏
Right back at you bro. :thumbsup:

Hi,
I found on ebay platform someone is selling Earbuds from the manufacturer 7 Hz (Seven Hertz) The Beatles P-TWOS and the price is inexpensive and they are new. Anybody know anything about them?
How's the sound? Maybe someone had one of these?
It's not much, but here's the only impressions I could find.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16304066

If you end up getting them, maybe you could share your impressions.

May 21, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #75,536 of 75,761
I'd have to go back and listen to those builds again to give some simple impressions. I will say that building buds for yourself is much easier than making them for others because you can tune your builds to your prefs within the limitations of the driver's and shell's characteristics.

I've built buds that were total crud, wouldn't tune properly no matter what I tried. But I don't look at those bad builds as something negative. You'll always learn something from your failures and apply what you learned to make your future builds better. I don't claim to have "Golden Ears", and my sound prefs probably don't align with everybody else's either. Actually I'm pretty open to different earbud sound profiles as long as the overall tuning isn't at the extreme ends of too bassy or make your ears bleed high end.

In building buds be like Thomas Edison... 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration... and you will be successful.
Don't worry about doing that, just thought if you knew off the top of your head that it would help narrow down which one I want to build next. That's a good point, are there any posts about how different parts such as adhesive foams and tuning papers affect sound? Or does it just depend mostly on the driver and shell you're using?

I completely agree about learning from your mistakes, my problem is that I'll work on something way beyond when I should've stopped and said that what I wanted to do wasn't going to work. Your builds give me more confidence that I won't get into that situation and your tuning preferences reassure me that even if one of your builds isn't exactly to my tastes it won't be to the point where I dislike it or be unable to stand listening to it.

May 21, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #75,537 of 75,761
Overall I like the Aeolian as a pair of "special effect buds" for its price. The Aeolian sounds very pleasing with the right music. Listening to Baroque organ and harpsichord with the Aeolian and you'd feel like being inside a 17th century cathedral. Listening pop/rock music with the Aeolian and you'd feel like being in an outdoor concert.
these are quite the experience with soundtracks and classical, and especially Gregorian chant!

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #75,538 of 75,761
I received the Yinman 600 around a week ago and I understand why it's loved so much, the bass is pretty incredible even compared to the FF3. Thankfully it doesn't suffer from vocal distortion in bass heavy tracks like the FF3 does. I haven't spent a lot of time listening to it as the DB1e has kept my focus since I got it but I plan on listening to it once the newness of my other earbuds wears off. But from what little I've listened to it so far it lives up to its reputation even though I'm probably not pushing it to its full potential.

I ran into the cable microphonics issue that others have posted about but I found that wearing them stem up with the wire routed through silicone wire guides fixed that issue for me. I also used earclips to help hold them in place but the housing is an odd size at 8.87 mm so I used the 9 mm earclips I had and rotated them so part of the curved plastic clip sits between the stem and the housing which keeps them from moving around at all. You might be able to use some hot glue or super glue at the opening where the cable enters the stem to keep the cable from moving at all but that might alter how it sounds if Yinman is using the stem as a bass tube. Thankfully the cable is high quality which is always a concern with any earbud that has a fixed cable.

I did listen to it through Shanling's H5 and the Qudelix 5K but I found that I preferred how it sounded through the 5K and I didn't feel like I needed the extra power from the H5 to reach my normal listening level. I ended up sending the H5 back due to the loud hissing issue and failure of the app to connect no matter what I did. I may try Fiio's Q15 at some point but for now I don't feel like I need anything more powerful since the 5K was able to adequately drive them.

May 22, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #75,540 of 75,761
If you want Earbuds with bass, then they are the right one.
But for me, they lacking in the highs. But also could be because I only do a short listen to them and don't tried different foams and stuff.
(It's because at the moment I'm testing the rest of my IEM's for small reviews. But finishing soon and then concentrate to earbuds. But I have a lot of them already, so it take its time to come to this model)
P_20230614_125441.jpg

Hello!! is there a S600 Kunlun at the botton left? have you tried yet? ! or anyone?, i´m thinking to buying it, they are at good price, but i´d love to read some opinions from you guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back