Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 15, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #68,716 of 75,669
That is a very good point you make. :)

Looking damned good, if I do say so myself.

Aren't those the best kind? :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

I am also very interested to learn how it sounds/does.
Yeah, I likes me some tube amplification. Actually I expect this amp to have clean sound instead of fun tubey 2nd order harmonic distortion due to the push-pull topology and class A biasing. I'll have to get higher wattage resistors before I make any output power measurements on this amp.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #68,717 of 75,669
The shells themselves are great! I have used a couple pairs with other drivers on some DIY builds. They look great, they're easy to work with, and for me they sit in my ears more comfortably than MX500 shells for instance. Honestly, if you enjoy a good balanced tuning and you're not looking for something basshead or treblehead leaning then I think you'll enjoy the NSC 80s, but if you grab a pair make sure you come back and let me/us know how they work for you.

BTW, for anyone out there who's interested, I bought a couple extra pairs of them to give for presents and so that I could check to make sure the units sound reasonably similar since I started rec'ing them and all 3 pairs that I listened to have the same tuning/sonic profile so I don't think we have to worry too much about them sounding drastically different from pair to pair as I have noticed with some other budget buds.
My 80ohm LPC are being delivered now. In the mean time, I received the TRN EMA; The packaging was really nice, the build quality as well. Great looking and great feeling for 10$, but the sound isn't that good or special.

I feel that they sit in between the Yincrow X6 and the TC200. They have less bass than the X6, but also less high end than the TC200. They have less soundstage and slightly less instrument separation.

So yeah I think they sound a little "dead", but I really like their esthetics, so they're gonna be the pair of buds that I use in bed at night

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #68,718 of 75,669
Coincidental benefit of ordering 4 sets of the Body Assemblies - each set can be configured with a different set of Dampers (Default, #1, #2, #3).
This will allow comparing the sound of the drivers, without having to actually swap Dampers (after the initial installation) - just requires mounting the driver on the appropriate Bodies.
:ksc75smile:

The additional drivers & bodies arrived in the mail yesterday (sent from a re-mailer in the USA). Spent some time last night, installing the Dampers and printing small "D", "1", "2", & "3" labels to stick on the pairs of bodies.

Of the drivers I've purchased, only the Balanced Armature is listed as using the Default Damper - but I will try it with the others.

Listening impressions to come.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #68,719 of 75,669
The additional drivers & bodies arrived in the mail yesterday (sent from a re-mailer in the USA). Spent some time last night, installing the Dampers and printing small "D", "1", "2", & "3" labels to stick on the pairs of bodies.

Of the drivers I've purchased, only the Balanced Armature is listed as using the Default Damper - but I will try it with the others.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these. :)

Mar 17, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #68,720 of 75,669

This is shaping up to be quite the trial. I'm looking forward to your results/impressions eagerly. Thanks for letting us all share in the fruits of your ambitious undertaking. 👍😎🍿

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #68,721 of 75,669
Hi all,

I want to ask the community for the universally accepted earbud with smoothest treble performance. About 2 years ago, I heard great reviews about the Zen 2.0, and bought it. However, while I admire it's technical ability, I found that the treble was quite peaky. Afterwards, I decided that smooth treble is my utmost priority in earbuds. Thanks for your help in recommendations!

Andy

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #68,722 of 75,669
Hi all,

I want to ask the community for the universally accepted earbud with smoothest treble performance. About 2 years ago, I heard great reviews about the Zen 2.0, and bought it. However, while I admire it's technical ability, I found that the treble was quite peaky. Afterwards, I decided that smooth treble is my utmost priority in earbuds. Thanks for your help in recommendations!

Andy
Not sure about universal but the Fiio FF3 is treble-benign.

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #68,724 of 75,669
These are probably favorite sets of earbuds to date. It's small, comfortable. Called the "Sleeping Earbud", I haven't found anything that comes close to how well these sound for its size. Wild Lee & team know how to tune their drivers =).
20230318_010057.jpg

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #68,725 of 75,669
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could advice me some earbuds in the budget of 50 euros shipped max for gym/running with neutral sounding and durable. I have had 3 wireless earbuds but they all broke without a reason. Thankiies
In ear monitors are usually a better bet than earbuds for being active. Over ear cable and more secure fit in the ear are a plus, to keep them in place. For running isolation has it's downsides, flathead earbuds do give you a better awareness of your surroundings "Traffic? What traffic?"... SPLAT, bounce, crunch...:triportsad:

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #68,726 of 75,669
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could advice me some earbuds in the budget of 50 euros shipped max for gym/running with neutral sounding and durable. I have had 3 wireless earbuds but they all broke without a reason. Thankiies

Are you wanting to switch to trying wired flathead earbuds or are you looking for wireless designs that fit in your ear canal? I ask because this thread is mostly dedicated to the old school flathead earbud design and if you're looking for TWS stuff youd probably get more/better responses in a different thread. That said, if you are looking for wired flathead rec's just let me know and give me some idea of the musical genres you prefer and I'll give you some ideas. 👍😎

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #68,727 of 75,669
Hi all,

Andy

I agree with @imackler on the FF3 rec. They're very smooth and a great pair of earbuds. The Yinman 600s have a smooth and inoffensive treble presentation as well, but they require some pretty powerful amplification to run. The Ucotech ES-P1s are one of my favorite pairs of buds that have a laid back treble with some roll off, but they are also quite expensive at $385 currently from Ucotech through Amazon. The Shozy BKs come to mind as bud with some warmth that maintains treble extension but keeps it very smooth and non-fatiguing which is one of the things I like most about them.

Some more may come to mind at some point and I'll be sure to post again if they do.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #68,728 of 75,669
Hi all,

Andy

Yinman 600 ohm 2.0. For something cheaper, the FAAEAL Rosemary. Both are hard to drive though, especially the Yinman.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #68,730 of 75,669
In ear monitors are usually a better bet than earbuds for being active. Over ear cable and more secure fit in the ear are a plus, to keep them in place. For running isolation has it's downsides, flathead earbuds do give you a better awareness of your surroundings "Traffic? What traffic?"... SPLAT, bounce, crunch...:triportsad:
I can't stand in ear, i can never find them comfortable. I always run in park or sidewalks anyway and i am very careful when crossing street. I know in ear are better but just aren't for me
Are you wanting to switch to trying wired flathead earbuds or are you looking for wireless designs that fit in your ear canal? I ask because this thread is mostly dedicated to the old school flathead earbud design and if you're looking for TWS stuff youd probably get more/better responses in a different thread. That said, if you are looking for wired flathead rec's just let me know and give me some idea of the musical genres you prefer and I'll give you some ideas. 👍😎
wireless would have been more comfortable, but they keep breaking so i'm doubtful that with 50 euro i can find something decent. So i guess cabled is the best way to go. I would apply some antislip silicone thingy to it to keep it in the ear if they fall out. So yeah, classic ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back