Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #68,341 of 75,722
Thanks for the links! Although I never tried earbuds before. But here is what I can gather.

DIY or Retail. If there are DIY kits for sale then yeah sure, I can assemble/solder myself no problem.
Budget. 10-100 USD, I don't know yet if buds are my thing, so prolly closer to the low end.
Source. Desktop DAC/Amp.
Environment. Home PC, including gaming, so Soundstage is important.
Genres. Saor and Kaatayra (Folk Metal?) is my perfect sound, can't get enough of them. Metallica is with me all my life, as well as... Trance genre (surprise lol, but I'm the 90s kid, those raves left a mark on me)

FFtothemuthafreakin3! Dude, reading your music preferences and your budget, I practically screamed "Get the FF3s" at the screen. They are unreal for the money and would suit your genres to a tee. I personally think they are the truly special earbud of the FF duo from Fiio. Regardless of if folks agree with me entirely on that, most of the regulars around here own a pair and consistently sing their praises for a reason. Their huge presentation and authoritative, articulate low end are calling your name...

*Puts on FF3 whisper*

@gael , you know what the right move is...We're the sub-$100 champs... Don't you want to be on the winning team, gael?

🤪😂🤣🤘😎

I might be a little crazy and delirious from lack of sleep, but this is solid advice. The FF3s are as close to a sure thing as there is under $100. Period.

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #68,342 of 75,722
FFtothemuthafreakin3! Dude, reading your music preferences and your budget, I practically screamed "Get the FF3s" at the screen. They are unreal for the money and would suit your genres to a tee. I personally think they are the truly special earbud of the FF duo from Fiio. Regardless of if folks agree with me entirely on that, most of the regulars around here own a pair and consistently sing their praises for a reason. Their huge presentation and authoritative, articulate low end are calling your name...

*Puts on FF3 whisper*

@gael , you know what the right move is...We're the sub-$100 champs... Don't you want to be on the winning team, gael?

🤪😂🤣🤘😎

I might be a little crazy and delirious from lack of sleep, but this is solid advice. The FF3s are as close to a sure thing as there is under $100. Period.
:ksc75smile: :gs1000smile::beyersmile::L3000: Haha! After reading this, I feel like I need to buy a second pair of FF3!
@gael, SolaVirtus speaks the truth.. you will end up with the Fiio FF3's some day and be very happy lol! But if you want to start cheap just to see if buds are your thing, and if you like a bit of bass, then I would consider the Yincrow X6's.
I can second the recommendation of X6 if you feel you would like to dip you toes in as opposed to take the deep end plunge! At the time, I loved the X6s so much a bought one in each colour just in case! Haha!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #68,343 of 75,722
:ksc75smile: :gs1000smile::beyersmile::L3000: Haha! After reading this, I feel like I need to buy a second pair of FF3

I've got three pairs and my girl has one so that's not such a crazy idea to me. 😜 One pair for the house, one pair for my backpack, and one pair that I'm in the middle of doing and MMCX mod to which I'm hoping to finish when I'm home for a few days later this month. As far as I'm concerned you can never have too many FF3s! 🤘😎

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #68,344 of 75,722
Hello!

I posted previously asking for flat-head earbud recommendations but got limited response so trying out this checklist(Thanks samandhi for sharing!)
  • budget - 40 USD or lesser preferably but open to options that cost a bit more.
  • source - Smartphone
  • preferred connection - Not particular, any connection is fine as long I can buy a converter to convert it to 3.5mm if it is not
  • preferred music genre - Mostly OST and Kpop(Female), some Symphonic Metal
  • preferred shell and foam-cushion type - No preferred and not particular, any is fine
  • preferred sound signature i - Clarity, Separation, Details, Treble, Soundstage. Bass is not impt as long as it exist that is good enough
  • preferred sound signature ii - Not quite sure what is this
  • preferred brand - No preference and not particular
  • any special need and/or consideration - Looking for ones that don't need amps, no DIY ones as I am not experienced
Cheap/Budget recommendations are awesome because I can buy all of them to try whereas expensive ones I will research all and go for 1 final one. That said, I am happy to find out and get to know more new earbuds, so feel free to list many/all(Other than Yincrow X6, Vido, VE Monk which I had seen the names mentioned so many times that I already know them :grin: )

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations! :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #68,345 of 75,722
I see those are available in 69 casing as well, I suppose it's an upgrade, do you know?
Didn't find those, but DIY KGIS is marketed as "a better version of VIDO", is it really?

I'll definitely look into FF3 due to overwhelming response, as well as consider Yincrow X6 as a budget option. Thanks y'all!

While browsing Aliexpress, I found many noname DIY options for sale that look nice and have MMCX connectors (I assume it is good to have with the buds). They don't have much in description, apart from impedance numbers. Any chance for a good buy here or is it pure rng?

Feb 11, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #68,346 of 75,722
The Qian39 and VIDO (which has MX500 type shells) have such a great sound that it is hard to believe they are cheap entry-level units.

I see those are available in 69 casing as well, I suppose it's an upgrade, do you know?
Qian69 is larger than Qian39, so I do not recommend for small ear holes.
Please select Qian39 in below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824719611.html

Didn't find those, but DIY KGIS is marketed as "a better version of VIDO", is it really?
I do not know about DIY KGIS.
Please select VIDO in below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000965372378.html

Shell diameter list:
shell diameter.jpg

I'll definitely look into FF3 due to overwhelming response, as well as consider Yincrow X6 as a budget option. Thanks y'all!
Fiio FF3 is a bit heavy for me...
Yincrow X6 uses the same drivers as VIDO...

While browsing Aliexpress, I found many noname DIY options for sale that look nice and have MMCX connectors (I assume it is good to have with the buds). They don't have much in description, apart from impedance numbers. Any chance for a good buy here or is it pure rng?
Aliexpress has many DIY earbuds, but you might want to ask about their reputation in this thread before buying.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #68,347 of 75,722
I've got three pairs and my girl has one so that's not such a crazy idea to me. 😜 One pair for the house, one pair for my backpack, and one pair that I'm in the middle of doing and MMCX mod to which I'm hoping to finish when I'm home for a few days later this month. As far as I'm concerned you can never have too many FF3s! 🤘😎
Huh! That's walking the talk! Need to put my money where my mouth is then!

Edit: Bought! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #68,348 of 75,722
I believe I have had a similar experience that I was just starting to figure out. I added a set of Silicone wings to my FF3's https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...o.order_list.order_list_main.4.21ef180295ncjk to hold them in place and put a set of VE foams on top of it all. They work great for retention but it seems they killed the wonderful sound balance of the FF3's. The bass is crazy boosted and the treble took a hit.

I'm not sure why this happened as the silicone ring sits around the periphery of the driver and does not appear to be impeding any vents...
It might be that if you remove all, then start with the foam, then put the wings on, it might sound better. I can't be sure, but you might be creating space between the driver face and the foam which might kill the treble energy a bit, creating a bit of a crossover effect. Having said that, those wings will give the perception of increased bass a bit also. So, having the combination might do what you are describing.

If none of this works for you, try leaving the foams off completely and use the wings.
Thanks for the links! Although I never tried earbuds before. But here is what I can gather.

DIY or Retail. If there are DIY kits for sale then yeah sure, I can assemble/solder myself no problem.
Budget. 10-100 USD, I don't know yet if buds are my thing, so prolly closer to the low end.
Source. Desktop DAC/Amp.
Environment. Home PC, including gaming, so Soundstage is important.
Genres. Saor and Kaatayra (Folk Metal?) is my perfect sound, can't get enough of them. Metallica is with me all my life, as well as... Trance genre (surprise lol, but I'm the 90s kid, those raves left a mark on me)
If you are wanting something from the lower end, you could try the NichHCK EB2S. The reason is because they seem to be of a size and shape that they are more likely to fit someone that is unsure of what type of shell fits them best. Also, they sound good.

Having said that, I have heard reports that they changed something about them that made them not sound as good as they did when they first came out (when I got mine). I don't know if this is true or not, but there are quite a few good reviews on this one.

If you want to start at (what I consider) TOTL but still less than $100, the FiiO FF3 are a winner any way you look at it (IMHO).
FF5 in hand. Y’all were right. These are on another level.
Congrats on your new shiny!

*Puts on FF3 whisper*

🤪😂🤣🤘😎

This is all true too. He is not just some FiiO fanboy. Listen well to these words.
Hello!

I posted previously asking for flat-head earbud recommendations but got limited response so trying out this checklist(Thanks samandhi for sharing!)
  • budget - 40 USD or lesser preferably but open to options that cost a bit more.
  • source - Smartphone
  • preferred connection - Not particular, any connection is fine as long I can buy a converter to convert it to 3.5mm if it is not
  • preferred music genre - Mostly OST and Kpop(Female), some Symphonic Metal
  • preferred shell and foam-cushion type - No preferred and not particular, any is fine
  • preferred sound signature i - Clarity, Separation, Details, Treble, Soundstage. Bass is not impt as long as it exist that is good enough
  • preferred sound signature ii - Not quite sure what is this
  • preferred brand - No preference and not particular
  • any special need and/or consideration - Looking for ones that don't need amps, no DIY ones as I am not experienced
Cheap/Budget recommendations are awesome because I can buy all of them to try whereas expensive ones I will research all and go for 1 final one. That said, I am happy to find out and get to know more new earbuds, so feel free to list many/all(Other than Yincrow X6, Vido, VE Monk which I had seen the names mentioned so many times that I already know them :grin: )

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations! :slight_smile:
Given your "preferred signature" description, the budget ones listed probably won't give you the best of this. I don't have many budget buds myself, so it is hard to recommend to you, but I have heard quite a few of them. My rec from above might be an option (NiceHCK EB2S), though again, you need to be aware (also) that they might have changed something about them, and they MAY not sound as good as they used to (which was right up your alley IMO). Also, you could try the QianYun Qian39 which are known to be a really good budget model.

There is also the Smabat MPro/MYouth which I have not personally heard, but I know that Smabat is a trusted brand. Of late Smabat has concentrated more on the top end (clarity). The have a boosted pina gain that doesn't work as well for my ears, but they are very popular among those that want top end and clarity. If you can get them, the Smabat M2s Pro are a fantastic earbud (and modular). Until the FiiO FF3 came along, I think these were one of the best to get at around the $60 mark. They have been discontinued, but you still can find them (if you look hard enough) on AE or some place like that.

Let us know what you end up with, and your thoughts?!

I will also recommend the FiiO FF3. They are absolutely fantastic, though do NOT have a removable cable. If you want TOTL sound like these have but with a detachable cable, you will need to spend a bit more money. The FiiO FF5 are also absolutely fantastic, but they are a different sound signature (these are more analytical with some fun sound mixed in).

As for the no name DIY stuff, you can take the risk and purchase them, and you might even find a really good "gem" at some point, but on the whole, they are just people/companies buying super cheap equipment and putting something together that probably looks better than it sounds. There are so many Chinese buds flooding the market, it is tough weeding out the good from the crap. This is why most people stick with the trusted names in ChiFi.

The problem is that in China, there aren't the same API rules that apply to other parts of the world. This is why you might see 10 different IEMs that use the same exact driver as brandx (for instance). most of these buds will use what they call shelf parts. They don't invent anything; they just throw it together and sell it.

Having said that, as mentioned earlier, you just might find something really good in those, so don't be TOO quick to maybe try a few (if you have the few dollars it takes to purchase them, available). As usual though, YMMV. :)

Feb 11, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #68,349 of 75,722
@assassin10000 BTW! I forgot to mention (probably) one of the most DF buds that I have. The DUNU Alpha 1. These are not just tuned to be that way (which they certainly are), but if you look at the front of these, they are also designed to be this way. With the BA sound coming from that small sideways firing stem and the lower end coming from the front firing (standard) DD driver, you have no choice but to hear it as a reflection off of your own ears. Staging isn't quite as big as with the Maria II, but they aren't lacking either.

Of course, they are also tuned VERY much DF neutral too (to your definition and mine also :)). This combination makes them sound very good (as long as that is the tuning that you are looking for). Since I don't often listen to stuff that this type of sound plays well to, these don't get a lot of ear time for me, but when I do have a mood to use them, they are VERY good at what they do.

In case you forgot the history of these, they came out in 2014, are the first bud to use one DD and one BA transducer, and they are still available. I was truly lucky because I found a seller on Amazon that was looking to move their stock (since they aren't popular anymore), and I got them for something like $39 (I bought these TOTALLY blind), but I think they are worth TOTL pricing as long as people understand that they are indeed not tuned anything like the Harmon curve (and its variations).

A couple of reviews on these:
Here
and:
Here

I just got these in yesterday evening. Wow, I'm impressed with the sound of the dual DD / BA. I guess fit is a big determining factor for the best sound. With the thick rings they fit my ears nicely and the sound is fantastic.

Dunu Alpha 1 Hybrid DD:BA earbuds.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #68,350 of 75,722
I just got these in yesterday evening. Wow, I'm impressed with the sound of the dual DD / BA. I guess fit is a big determining factor for the best sound. With the thick rings they fit my ears nicely and the sound is fantastic.

Wow, that's a cool combo! Do you hear any BA timbre? I got put off by BA drivers after months of using high-quality single DD transducers...

Feb 11, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #68,351 of 75,722

Congrats on your new shiny! :) Do let us know your thoughts on them after you have had some time with them?!

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #68,352 of 75,722

Years ago I bought a pair of black KGIS and they sounded identical to my red VIDO. I don't know if anything has changed in the meantime though.

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #68,354 of 75,722
Given your "preferred signature" description, the budget ones listed probably won't give you the best of this. I don't have many budget buds myself, so it is hard to recommend to you, but I have heard quite a few of them. My rec from above might be an option (NiceHCK EB2S), though again, you need to be aware (also) that they might have changed something about them, and they MAY not sound as good as they used to (which was right up your alley IMO). Also, you could try the QianYun Qian39 which are known to be a really good budget model.

There is also the Smabat MPro/MYouth which I have not personally heard, but I know that Smabat is a trusted brand. Of late Smabat has concentrated more on the top end (clarity). The have a boosted pina gain that doesn't work as well for my ears, but they are very popular among those that want top end and clarity. If you can get them, the Smabat M2s Pro are a fantastic earbud (and modular). Until the FiiO FF3 came along, I think these were one of the best to get at around the $60 mark. They have been discontinued, but you still can find them (if you look hard enough) on AE or some place like that.

Let us know what you end up with, and your thoughts?!
Thank you for your reply/suggestions!

Understand that my budget is a small one so I am not expecting godly quality or having all the traits I listed. I listed quite a number of traits mainly just to provide a better idea of what I am going for that's all. Besides, I am not any expert or audiophile, just some simple guy who just want to appreciate the music I listen to, therefore not very particular with "having the best"(Thus low budget) though I would very much like the earbuds I buy to not be another "Bassy or Warm or muddy one" which seems to happen too frequently(95% of the time!) when I buy earphone(blindly) last time. I like to be able to hear the Cymbals, etc high pitch/frequency stuff from the earbuds I buy. Just my preference :)

Example say when I see comments like "The cymbals coming in at 0:26 took a big hit on both the packaged earbuds and the FF3. They’re barely audible." This means the earbuds is definitely a no go for me. :sweat_smile: (No offense to FF3 by the way, I am sure it's a fantastic bud just maybe not for me base on what I am looking for)

I look through reviews for the NiceHCK EB2S. It looks like an amazing recommendation so very good chance I will go for it(Shortlisted!) and the price is perfect for me. Meanwhile I will see if anyone else suggests some other earbuds before I go ahead and buy(Plus also waiting for discount vouchers to appear on the platform I am buying this at :wink:)

As for Qian39, I actually have ordered Qian69 as I read reviews on the Qian69 and it seem like it might suit me. That said, I only manage to find one seller after looking very hard and so far its been a few days since I ordered and its not sent out yet so I am not sure if the seller still have the stock for it. I guess if he gets back to me and say no more stock then I maybe might try out the Qian39 in the future(After NiceHCK EB2S).

As for the Smabat MPro/MYouth and Smabat M2s Pro, I didn't have enough time to check out reviews for them today, taken note of them, will check out reviews on them when I find some time.

Thank you so much again for the recommendations!

Feb 11, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #68,355 of 75,722
Wow, that's a cool combo! Do you hear any BA timbre? I got put off by BA drivers after months of using high-quality single DD transducers...

Congrats on your new shiny! :) Do let us know your thoughts on them after you have had some time with them?!

The Dunu Alpha 1 have been around since 2015 (per Woody's Earbud Timeline). They're the world's first hybrid DD / BA flat head earbud combo. The BA sound is side fired into your ear canal while the DD is like a normal earbud. I wonder if they managed to squeeze in a crossover inside these buds (doubtful) as there appears to have some separation in the top end (mids and treble) coming from the BA and the low end (bass and low mids) coming from the DD.

I found the fit in your concha is crucial for excellent sound. First I tried the supplied earhooks, the large earhook fit the best but the hook extension sort of canted the rear of the bud outward in such a way that much of the bass was leaking out. If I lightly pressed the rear of the bud inward with the earhooks installed, then the bass would fill the soundscape properly. Here's a headfonics review which mentions the mids and treble dominance over the bass, but I as mentioned, I think fit is crucial. Once I switched to the thick rings I was getting a better fit with less overall sound leakage and as a result the bass was much better. The Alpha 1 wears like an earbud, but has the soundstage of an IEM, meaning more in your head. at least the mids and treble while the bass helps to expand the soundstage outward. Instrument separation and layering is very good and vocals sound natural. These are my first impressions, but I think it's pretty spot on, at least to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back