Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 23, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #39,346 of 75,550
Yup. All Sony's MH-series I own, MH1c, MH755, MH410C, are all have J-cord cable. The longer cable, which goes to the right piece, supposed to go behind the neck like some BT earphones.

And my Vido too have J-cord cable.
That MH755 cable is a special kind of awful. J-cord AND very short. Great set but annoying to use. I have an extension for now but I have a couple of pairs coming for a recable attempt.

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #39,347 of 75,550
A 2017 earbud that a few years ago was consider "good" is on sale - US$13.59, here.

"2017 New NICEHCK EB200 Earbud In Ear Earphone 200 ohms High Impedance Earbuds"
It was interesting in 2017 - 200 Ohm at a lowish price. Not sure if it stood the test of time (compared to newer buds) but I still like mine.
My guess is there are better options now, but most budget earbuds are16 or 32 ohm.
I still listen to eb200 from time to time. It's a dark earbud that share same characteristics mids with e808+ and docomo (longstem) IMO. The mid bass is thumping hard, if someone looking for something like that the latest sale price might sound like good deal. Hard to amp despite being 200ohm. IIRC it's the same driver as k's 200?

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #39,348 of 75,550
Noticed this morning that the VE rubber rings have a tendency to pop off of the smaller earbud shells, like the Zen LL (similar size to the QianYun Qian39).
The small "lip" on the ring appears to be sized to catch on the ridge around the perimeter of MX500 shells.
But the Zen LL has a smooth curve around from the front to the back, rather than a ridge for the ring to catch on.

So, the Zen LL will probably be getting a donut foam, to help provide a secure fit.
Or, I may try using this style of earbud tip "with wings", since they wrap further around the shell, and should stay on the Zen LL.
New-arrival-Silicone-Ear-pads-buds-Tips-Headset-Earbuds-eartips-Earplugs-For-In-ear-earphone.jpg

I am happy with normal foams on my Zen LL.

Well, while the "rings with wings" hold the Zen LL securely in my ears (especially since I wear the cables over-the-ear), they don't allow me to position the earbuds, in order to get the best seal - so Bass response suffers.
The donut foams ended up being the best solution for holding the Zen LL in my ears, providing an adequate seal to give good Bass response, and blocking the least amount of Midrange & Treble.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #39,349 of 75,550
Does anyone know a seller on AE that sells a good Vido? I mean with no defects or irregularities. The one pair I have,one wire to a driver is longer than the other. I literally have to fold and tape the longer wire to make it an equal length to the shorter wire.
That's not a defect. It's a 'J' cable designed to be worn looped around the neck. The vido with a mic has a standard cable.

Edit: Which everybody has already informed you... I should check the recent posts before hitting reply :thinking:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #39,350 of 75,550
Guys anyone know of any other slightly thicker rings than the VE ex pack variant?

Using them on my mojito but looking for just an ever so slightly better seal.

I have that one link from aliexpress
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32324321353.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spider=y&productId=32324321353&productSubject=Rubber-ring-for-earbuds-15mm-16mm-MX980-MX985-OMX985-MX880&ved=2ahUKEwiQ4MXJn4TgAhUJjqQKHTZmCZ4QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw08A-h0TGD56OfXu680VvqR

in my cart and they may be what I'm looking for, if anyone has bought em let me know how they compare to the ve rings.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #39,351 of 75,550
Ones with mics have a regular cable I think? Mine did!

Correct. Unfortunately it doesn't work well with my Radsone ES100 (some 4 pole plugs work with the ES100, but not the Vido's).

Nope, it was a design from the past - the idea is to use longer cable behind your neck and short one regularely. There are many IEMs that used this. Sony MH1c for example - good sound but terrible J cable (and it's also flat which makes it even worse).

Sony MH1C cable = absolute worst cable ever designed.

That MH755 cable is a special kind of awful. J-cord AND very short. Great set but annoying to use. I have an extension for now but I have a couple of pairs coming for a recable attempt.

Hmm, I have the MH755 incoming. Sounds like it might be able to take over the "worst cable ever designed" throne!

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #39,352 of 75,550
Guys anyone know of any other slightly thicker rings than the VE ex pack variant?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32324321353.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spider=y&productId=32324321353&productSubject=Rubber-ring-for-earbuds-15mm-16mm-MX980-MX985-OMX985-MX880&ved=2ahUKEwiQ4MXJn4TgAhUJjqQKHTZmCZ4QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw08A-h0TGD56OfXu680VvqR

in my cart and they may be what I'm looking for, if anyone has bought em let me know how they compare to the ve rings.

The "rings with wings" might be thicker, but you would have to either align them for how you want to wear them, or trim the wings off.
IMG_20190123_100840.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #39,353 of 75,550
Well, while the "rings with wings" hold the Zen LL securely in my ears (especially since I wear the cables over-the-ear), they don't allow me to position the earbuds, in order to get the best seal - so Bass response suffers.
The donut foams ended up being the best solution for holding the Zen LL in my ears, providing an adequate seal to give good Bass response, and blocking the least amount of Midrange & Treble.

Some of the VE users shaves the wings off the rings because the regular rings don't work too well for them.

I personally didn't find either rubber options (with or without wings) to be comfortable, thus putting up with that bit of sound degradation using regular foams.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #39,354 of 75,550

I've ever considered those in your link, but always found them too costly for me to justify clicking the purchase button...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #39,356 of 75,550
Hmm, I have the MH755 incoming. Sounds like it might be able to take over the "worst cable ever designed" throne!

No, it just needs a couple of simple mods... some white electrical tape and a short extension cable... unless you are using it with an armband as it was meant for in the first place. Or, you could recable it as @HungryPanda did with his. I have a spare coming for a recable attempt but will leave this one as it is. Took longer than I thought to get that tape on.

Worst cable ever is still the MH1C... wide flat J cable noodle with a mic that just hangs in the air next to your jaw.

R0014182.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #39,357 of 75,550
No, it just needs a couple of simple mods... some white electrical tape and a short extension cable... unless you are using it an armband as it was meant for in the first place. Or, you could recable it as @HungryPanda did with his. I have a spare coming for a recable attempt but will leave this one as it is. Took longer than I thought to get that tape on.

I'll mainly be using it with the Radsone ES100 which I can clip anywhere, so it might work out well.

Worst cable ever is still the MH1... wide flat J cable noodle with a mic that just hangs in the air next to your jaw.

<<<shiver>>> I forgot about the dangling mic. Yup, the MH1C handily retains it's throne!

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #39,358 of 75,550
I'll mainly be using it with the Radsone ES100 which I can clip anywhere, so it might work out well.

Yes, for that purpose you might actually appreciate the MH755 cable. Maybe you won't mind the J cable either and can wear it behind your neck. I just can't/won't because of my hair. Taping it was a bit more awkward than taping the Vido.

Does anyone know a seller on AE that sells a good Vido? I mean with no defects or irregularities. The one pair I have,one wire to a driver is longer than the other. I literally have to fold and tape the longer wire to make it an equal length to the shorter wire.

Yes, as you now know it is supposed to be like that. I too literally folded and taped the longer wire. I could have bought the one with the mic to get a Y cable but I don't use mics and this one will be recabled soon anyway. I would did not want to pay anextra dollar for a cable that will be removed. Many people recable them.

So this is my Vido in its current state. I just got it last week. I will post a new photo once it has the new cable. No rush. I want to get used to the sound as it is now so later I can maybe tell if the new cable makes it sound different. I have never been sure if I can hear a difference between cables. Others do hear a difference.

R0014186.JPG

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #39,360 of 75,550
On a whim,I I tried re-cabling for the first time with this cable to the Vido. It came from an $6 earbud that I threw to the side 2 years ago.

HTB1dhAvLXXXXXcMXFXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg

Were you successful? The Vido still works?

Great photo... looks like you have a serious camera there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back