Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 23, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #37,831 of 75,855
My order of an RY assortment arrived yesterday. Here's what I'm finding...

RY4S - the basic buds for $6 cdn. These things sound great. Nice deep bass but still a balanced and fairly open sound overall. Better SQ than the Monk+ imho. Cable is nice too.

RY4S UE Cable - Bass not quite as thick as the basic RY4S and a more open soundstage. Lots of detail. Great overall sound. Not entirely sure it's worth the extra $6 a pair...but they definitely sound very good!

RY4X - these ones sound a little cluttered and just not as refined as the others to me. They sound a little more like a cheap earbud...and I don't like the cable much at all. (I accidentally selected the ones with the twisty black cable, which I don't like much. I see there is an option to order with the same cable as the standard RY4S which I would have preferred.)

So, the basic RY4S is the budget champ for me right now. Really amazing buds for $6...I think the RY's with the UE cable do sound a little better overall, but It's possible to convince myself that the basic buds have a SQ that isn't actually worse if you know what I mean. I'm happy to have a pair of the UE-cabled ones but I'll be ordering more of the standards just to kick around with.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #37,833 of 75,855
I believe it’s worth the money a year ago. I originally bought the BK and I like it a lot. So I quickly ordered the Limited edition before it came out a year ago. I have a lot of good earbuds on hand but I ended up spend much more time on this one. The cable of the limited edition and plug will never be outdated is of first class material. When I didn’t like the earbuds again, I just needed to convert it to a mmcx cable for other buds.

However, if I wanted to spend the same money today, I would spend the same money on ATH CM2000ti!
Thank you :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #37,834 of 75,855
Have you ever seen a seal wearing briefs?

(Feel like watching one of the Marx bros movies right now)

How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #37,835 of 75,855
Didn't even have to go to the store on Black Friday, to find just what I needed... :wink: :ksc75smile:
(This PMJ video is definitely in my Top 5 favorites of theirs.)

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #37,836 of 75,855
Didn't even have to go to the store on Black Friday, to find just what I needed... :wink: :ksc75smile:
(This PMJ video is definitely in my Top 5 favorites of theirs.)

Ha! That was somewhat awesome!

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #37,838 of 75,855
Oh my bad! It's about 2 mil.

IMO it makes a notable difference to the tonality. Just by blocking it with my thumb I can hear a difference. I prefer it open as it lends to the tm9's additional sub bass and more open sound. But I think it wouldn't hurt to be slightly more restrictive to tighten the bass slightly. Also the low mids seem to get a nice bump when its sealed. I'm guessing this has something to do with the science behind resonance peaks and how a dip follows. But it's just a subjective observation for now.

Bottom line is the tm9 is tuned a bit soft in the treble so swapping foams is not gonna help as it sounds best with thin as possible or even no foams. But the mids are pretty lean and brighter in that config. So I feel like it's missing that lush textured midrange quality I expect in a TOTL bud.

Overall I feel the mids needed to be fuller, or the treble a bit brighter to achieve a good balance.

The Yin is obviously the answer to the treble 'problem'. Do the yin still ship with thin foams I wonder? Or which foams are preferred for it. (Nevermind saw your Yin impression now, has ve thin blue foams)

Does the yin sound any fuller in the mids? Or is it still the same as the tm9? I think you mention its more forward and engaging. Hoping that means more emphasis in low and middle vocal region where most of the vocal body comes from.
Thanks, so definitely is seems that there is a huge hole difference of on the TM9 and YIN.
I tried to block the bass port with some "patafix" and I hear "almost" no difference that without blocking it, so it proves the hole must be extremely tiny on the YIN. It seems there is slightly less bass emphasizing (but not by much), other freqs aren't affected and looks the same, but like you, I much prefer them stock.
I will try this hole experimentation on my own EMX500 DIY project, as this looks quite interesting.

I prefer my YIN with ali foams that you recommended so much :) (well, like 80% of my other earbuds now, lol)

About the fuller mids, I need to spend more time with YIN, as I didn't in the past few days since I received them. But overall, it's still not a "wow effect" earbuds at first sight. They remember me the same feeling as when I listened to TM9 for the first time. Between TM9 and YIN, it is not night and day difference as they shares the same signature (soundstage too), but there is definitely improvements in mids (especially) and highs/treble. Bass remains almost the same to me but in slight favor of the YIN.
I just need to have TM9 back to really see the difference, as I'm doing those compares just with my memory, which prolly will get even more erased in the upcoming weeks to remember properly my old TM9 for a fair compare).

Overall, this YIN is now a keeper. It has the real TOTL sound from an earbuds I was expecting. It is still a true allrounder, which is really appreciated. On the YIN, I still feel like I'm listening to headphones, it has a very addictiv sound.. :)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #37,839 of 75,855
Received the QianYun Qian69 and Nicehck EB2 in the mail today after ordering them for 11/11, both ordered from Nicehck. Got the EB2 as a review sample, paid sale price for the Qian69. I'm liking the Qian69 a lot more than the EB2. I haven't had a lot of experience with earbuds since really getting into audio, with my only other earbud up to this point being the Monk Espresso. The Qian69 sounds huge, open, and very detailed, yet more tonally consistent than a lot of the IEMs I've used recently. The EB2 is less impressive. It seems to be really finicky as far as fit goes, with the sound quality and channel balance varying dramatically depending on minute adjustments, and sounds a little thin to me.

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #37,840 of 75,855
The EB2 is less impressive. It seems to be really finicky as far as fit goes, with the sound quality and channel balance varying dramatically depending on minute adjustments, and sounds a little thin to me.

Are you using foams with it?

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #37,842 of 75,855
Yeah, they help but it's still not great. I'm wondering if I got a bad pair.

The shifting channels make it seem like they aren't stable in your ear. What if you put a donut over the full foam.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #37,843 of 75,855
Thanks, so definitely is seems that there is a huge hole difference of on the TM9 and YIN.
I tried to block the bass port with some "patafix" and I hear "almost" no difference that without blocking it, so it proves the hole must be extremely tiny on the YIN. It seems there is slightly less bass emphasizing (but not by much), other freqs aren't affected and looks the same, but like you, I much prefer them stock.
I will try this hole experimentation on my own EMX500 DIY project, as this looks quite interesting.

I prefer my YIN with ali foams that you recommended so much :) (well, like 80% of my other earbuds now, lol)

About the fuller mids, I need to spend more time with YIN, as I didn't in the past few days since I received them. But overall, it's still not a "wow effect" earbuds at first sight. They remember me the same feeling as when I listened to TM9 for the first time. Between TM9 and YIN, it is not night and day difference as they shares the same signature (soundstage too), but there is definitely improvements in mids (especially) and highs/treble. Bass remains almost the same to me but in slight favor of the YIN.
I just need to have TM9 back to really see the difference, as I'm doing those compares just with my memory, which prolly will get even more erased in the upcoming weeks to remember properly my old TM9 for a fair compare).

Overall, this YIN is now a keeper. It has the real TOTL sound from an earbuds I was expecting. It is still a true allrounder, which is really appreciated. On the YIN, I still feel like I'm listening to headphones, it has a very addictiv sound.. :)
I'm not surprised its a minor difference as it's just controlling airflow by the bass port.

However if the same logic is applied from speakers with bass ports I think the lenght and diameter of the port can effect the bass resonance (moving the peak slightly lower or higher in the bass region) and also any peak is usually followed by a slightly dip.

This may play into the tonal balance on the tm9, but could not have as profound an effect on the Yin especially if the port size is reduced.

Their must be a benefit to the bass port as a tube/cylinder over a simple opening like all the other vents. Other than it not effecting the back wave resonance in any way, it must help bass response differently than standard venting.

Or else sennheiser would not have added it at all. They obviously did their research and that's why the shell stuck around so long and became popular in chi fi buds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back