Earbuds Round-Up
May 13, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #886 of 75,652
Well I've got to mention Atomic Floyd Earjax I suppose;an easy match for MX980 but only my opinion. But I doubt you'd be anyone else to agree as not many have heard them

If you believe some of the posts on here the Earbells but they're nothing like to me. Totally unnatural sound compared to the Earjax not in same class.

'Unnatural sound' is probably the last description I'd use about the E100s. Have you tried putting them in your ears? 
wink_face.gif

May 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #887 of 75,652
'Unnatural sound' is probably the last description I'd use about the E100s. Have you tried putting them in your ears? :wink_face:

Oh no. I haven't, was shoving em down me trousers will try in ears later

May 13, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #888 of 75,652
Long day but I finally got a chance to ear these in my ears.

Still sound a bit weird .Similar to some Sennheiser (CX275s)  in ears I have, the soundtaging seems all wrong. All left or right and little in the centre; difficult to explain. Either my hearings out or you need to try some other phones if these sound natural. As it is I look at them as £13 wasted when combined with ornamental non functioning remote. They're not terrible, their tone is quite good, but they are inferior imo to the cheaper K311 (a real under appreciated earbud), let alone the MX760 or K317/319 and it would a bit silly to compare them to MX980 or Airjax.

I however realise I'm probably a minority of one and these are indeed the absolute pinnacle of earbud design Which by definition they have to be according to that expert understated review which states as fact they are better than the MX980 at 1/10 price. 

Buy with confidence and ignore my ramblings. Believe the hype.

May 13, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #889 of 75,652
Although I think the E100 is worthy of its price and I'm generally happy with them, as somebody who also owns the CX275S, I get what you're saying about the soundstage. It's as if the phones could use a crossfeed filter to get rid of a slight bit of hollowness in the presentation. In fact it's this reason why I agreed that the one review linked was a bit hyperbolic. They're certainly not in the same league as the MX985 or Zen, at least to these ears.

May 13, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #890 of 75,652
Although I think the E100 is worthy of its price and I'm generally happy with them, as somebody who also owns the CX275S, I get what you're saying about the soundstage. It's as if the phones could use a crossfeed filter to get rid of a slight bit of hollowness in the presentation. In fact it's this reason why I agreed that the one review linked was a bit hyperbolic. They're certainly not in the same league as the MX985 or Zen, at least to these ears.

Yes they're worth the money. I was just expecting a lot morr. I just end up accumulating a lot of cheap phones I don't end up using which is still a waste of money.

May 14, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #891 of 75,652
I have the non-remote version. Maybe they sound different?

Most probably it's the shape of your ears, because I have tried many many different earphones over the years and the soundstaging on the E100 is brilliant in my view.

I assume you are using them with the donut foams?

May 14, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #892 of 75,652
Well I've got to mention Atomic Floyd Earjax I suppose;an easy match for MX980 but only my opinion. But I doubt you'd be anyone else to agree as not many have heard them

If you believe some of the posts on here the Earbells but they're nothing like to me. Totally unnatural sound compared to the Earjax not in same class.

Haven't heard those unfortunately but E100 I do have. Its not bad for the price and very enjoyable :)

Still sound a bit weird .Similar to some Sennheiser (CX275s)  in ears I have, the soundtaging seems all wrong. All left or right and little in the centre; difficult to explain. Either my hearings out or you need to try some other phones if these sound natural. As it is I look at them as £13 wasted when combined with ornamental non functioning remote. They're not terrible, their tone is quite good, but they are inferior imo to the cheaper K311 (a real under appreciated earbud), let alone the MX760 or K317/319 and it would a bit silly to compare them to MX980 or Airjax.

I however realise I'm probably a minority of one and these are indeed the absolute pinnacle of earbud design Which by definition they have to be according to that expert understated review which states as fact they are better than the MX980 at 1/10 price. 

Yeah that review was a bit hyperbolic but the E100s are pretty good for the price but not a giant killer imo. The cable for one thing really annoys me

Yup I have both the E100 and Zens right now, and to my ears Zens are in a different league compared to the E100. Again E100 aren't bad, they are good for the price but like you said they are NOT in the same league as Zens imo.

I love the soundstage of the Zens and it gives an excellent out of head sounstage experience. Sound does not feel like its coming from inside the head. Easy and non fatiguing while retaining tons of detail which is a feat itself. Where as the E100 has treble that makes my ear ring and fatigue after listening. 

May 14, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #893 of 75,652
How can anyone dislike the E100 cable? Its one of the best cables I have ever seen.

As for the Headfonics review being hyperbolic - no, it's not. 

With regards to the VE Zen, I would love to try them but they are too expensive and I dont own a portable amp any more. These 2 obstacles are not small, in my humble opinion. How much does an amp + Zen total? 

May 14, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #894 of 75,652

Honestly, I wanted to report that last link to the E100 review to get the post deleted. That has got to be the most hyperbolic and looney review I've read about something in a really long time. I don't care if it's the best thing since sliced bread, it's not comparable to $1000 summit fi headphones lol. That was an amusing read, but I feel bad for giving the site a page view.  

I'm sure the E100 is really good for reference, but reviews like that make actual impressions about the product seem non-credible. 

EDIT: the review I was referring to is this, not ClieOSs review of the E100 which I think is very fair. 

May 14, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #895 of 75,652
I've heard E100 for near a year, it's great and I think the position in ClieOS round-up is not wrong.
Actually, E100 is not just pretty good for its price.
It can be a giant killer for small budget....but not the champion slayer....haha
Cable is ok, but I prefered Tingo's cable.
Straight jack plug is bad for long-term using. 

May 14, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #896 of 75,652
  Honestly, I wanted to report that last link to the E100 review to get the post deleted. That has got to be the most hyperbolic and looney review I've read about something in a really long time. I don't care if it's the best thing since sliced bread, it's not comparable to $1000 summit fi headphones lol. That was an amusing read, but I feel bad for giving the site a page view.  

I'm sure the E100 is really good for reference, but reviews like that make actual impressions about the product seem non-credible. 

EDIT: the review I was referring to is this, not ClieOSs review of the E100 which I think is very fair. 

Where is ClieOS review?

I loved the Headfonics review of the E100 - seemed very astute to me, pointing out just how much you can get for so little money and what that might mean in an industry predicated on shaking you down when you walk in the door. 

May 14, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #897 of 75,652
Long time since I posted here, but I have to comment on the Earbell E100. I own earbuds such as Sennheiser MX980 and Blox TM7 together with vintage earbuds such as Sony MDR E484 and Aiwa HP-D9.

Overall, I would put the Sennheisers and Blox at the top of my list. They are very similar and don't really lack anything. Fully textured bass, highs that are detailed without being piercing, wide and deep soundstage with a 3D feel...

The Sony E484 have got the best bass I've ever heard in a pair of earbuds. However, after a driver on one of my two pairs died, I was forced to start using my NIB backup pair and now I'm afraid to bring them outside. The Aiwas have the best soundstage I've heard in a pair of earbuds/headphones. I haven't heard the more expensive over ear headphones (except ATH A2000X), but these D9's are just incredible. It's like being inside of a huge dome where every instrument is clear and can be exactly positioned. However, bass is not very good on these Aiwas. I feel the same about them as the vintage Sony earbuds and don't bring them outside.

Cheap Chinese earbuds are like a godsend. I have enjoyed the Dasetn earbuds and looked up many other ones that have been introduced in this and other earbud threads on Head fi.
Overall, Earbell E100 is my budget favorite by far, when it comes to the sound. It is a bit thin sounding overall and it might not agree with some sources (for instance, I discovered yesterday that my otherwise good sounding Samsung YH-J70 HDD MP3 player doesn't work with the E100, but really well with my Blox BE3).

I have owned Sennheiser MX760 and sold them. I did not like the "sterile" sound combined with an unnatural soundstage. I still have my pair of AKG K319. I still like their dry sound even if they completely lack that 3D aspect of the soundstage.
The cheap Earbell E100 blow both the MX760 and AKG K319 away. They are not as good as the MX980 and TM7, and while the E100 might not be as good as the Sony E484 and Aiwa D9, they have a more balanced sound overall.

My only complaint is the fit...

May 14, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #898 of 75,652
  Long time since I posted here, but I have to comment on the Earbell E100. I own earbuds such as Sennheiser MX980 and Blox TM7 together with vintage earbuds such as Sony MDR E484 and Aiwa HP-D9.

Overall, I would put the Sennheisers and Blox at the top of my list. They are very similar and don't really lack anything. Fully textured bass, highs that are detailed without being piercing, wide and deep soundstage with a 3D feel...

The Sony E484 have got the best bass I've ever heard in a pair of earbuds. However, after a driver on one of my two pairs died, I was forced to start using my NIB backup pair and now I'm afraid to bring them outside. The Aiwas have the best soundstage I've heard in a pair of earbuds/headphones. I haven't heard the more expensive over ear headphones (except ATH A2000X), but these D9's are just incredible. It's like being inside of a huge dome where every instrument is clear and can be exactly positioned. However, bass is not very good on these Aiwas. I feel the same about them as the vintage Sony earbuds and don't bring them outside.

Cheap Chinese earbuds are like a godsend. I have enjoyed the Dasetn earbuds and looked up many other ones that have been introduced in this and other earbud threads on Head fi.
Overall, Earbell E100 is my budget favorite by far, when it comes to the sound. It is a bit thin sounding overall and it might not agree with some sources (for instance, I discovered yesterday that my otherwise good sounding Samsung YH-J70 HDD MP3 player doesn't work with the E100, but really well with my Blox BE3).

I have owned Sennheiser MX760 and sold them. I did not like the "sterile" sound combined with an unnatural soundstage. I still have my pair of AKG K319. I still like their dry sound even if they completely lack that 3D aspect of the soundstage.
The cheap Earbell E100 blow both the MX760 and AKG K319 away. They are not as good as the MX980 and TM7, and while the E100 might not be as good as the Sony E484 and Aiwa D9, they have a more balanced sound overall.

Nice comments, but I would say that for me, the E100 easily beat the MX980 I had (until it broke last week), for both fit and sound.  The 980s were too heavy and needed constant re-arrangement, and the bass was anaemic.  So I found them a lot more thin sounding than the E100s - using the donut foams on the Earbells, the sound is rich and very addictive. 

I guess this underlines just how subjective audio is, especially when it comes to biological interfaces. Not only do we all have different tastes in music but our lugholes are all shaped differently. Actually, I guess the latter probably determines the former to a large degree, but you know what I mean.....

The bottom line for me is that I am not made of money like some of the people here, and for me the E100 represent the perfect sweet spot.

May 14, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #899 of 75,652
Nice comments, but I would say that for me, the E100 easily beat the MX980 I had (until it broke last week), for both fit and sound.  The 980s were too heavy and needed constant re-arrangement, and the bass was anaemic.  So I found them a lot more thin sounding than the E100s - using the donut foams on the Earbells, the sound is rich and very addictive. 
I guess this underlines just how subjective audio is, especially when it comes to biological interfaces. Not only do we all have different tastes in music but our lugholes are all shaped differently. Actually, I guess the latter probably determines the former to a large degree, but you know what I mean.....

The bottom line for me is that I am not made of money like some of the people here, and for me the E100 represent the perfect sweet spot.

To me, the bass of the MX980 is "heavier" and more deep than the E100. However, the bass of the E100 is more detailed.

I can see what you mean about the subjectiveness of audio. Half of the time when I buy something that others recommend, I end up not liking it and selling it.

Cheap Chinese earbuds are also great for me. I used to be able to spend more on audio than these days when I have a family to support...

May 14, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #900 of 75,652

This seems like a really reasonable and most likely true assessment. I have found that my MX985 is clearly technically superior to all the Chinese budget brands, although some come closer than others like the E100. My Blox BE5 is a close second but my personal favorite for listening on the go and for enjoyment because it has a slightly more musical sound and lusher bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back