Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 11, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #45,796 of 75,855
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #45,797 of 75,855
Another BGVP product came around and again, I would like to share my thoughts about its sound and overall build.

BGVP DX5

PROS:
- Excellent build quality
- Warm and smooth midrange
- No hint of sibilance
- Above average soundstage quality
- Non-fatiguing sound
- MMCX

CONS:
- Lacks in bass quantity, not for bassheads
- Easily slips out of my ear conchae due to the small driver diameter
- No L/R indicator on the earbuds themselves

Source used: AUNE M1s

Build
Shells are made of metal with good design in mind. It's not your generic kind of shell design. I think this can take a beating and would still work. The 8-core stock cable included is also well made from the MMCX connectors down to the L-plug, which are also both made of metal by the way.

Fit
This pair didn't sit well in my ears due to the small diameter of the drivers and probably the shape of the shells. There are rubber fins included in the package aside from the 6 pairs of extra foams (including donut ones), but they often don't do justice to an earbuds' sound, IMO. I didn't bother using them this time. I prefer using earbuds worn down all the time. For the foams, I used the included full ones.

Sound
Bass - I would consider this pair as bass light. Though the low end isn't totally anemic, they just lack in quantity than what I would have preferred. Subbass is very subtle but is still felt. Midbass has a bit more emphasis here having good punch when needed. I enjoyed using them for genres such as Alternative Rock, Jazz, and vocal centric tracks.
Mids - This area is where I liked them the most. Lower mids has good warmth and is smooth overall. No sibilance at all. Guitars, saxophones, and trumpets are easily heard loud and clear. Though I feel like clarity would benefit more by using donut foams instead of full ones.
Treble - Upper mids to treble is smooth and quite laid back. It is not entirely veiled throughout and sparkle is still audible enough with decent texture, though I feel like there's an early roll off here.
Soundstage - Overall sound feels centered except for the slight emphasis on the upper bass and lower mids. Stage width is actually good, which contributes to the better texture of its bass and treble. Even though they're ever so slightly more pushed back than the mids, good layering and 3D imaging saved their asses so they're not totally left behind in quality.

Conclusion
If you're not a basshead and is in for long listening sessions with tracks that are focused on vocals, the DX5 is a good option for you. Earbuds with this kind of build quality at this price range is not so common. You'll often find the likes of this at above $100. If not for the fit issue (which differs among all of us), this pair would have been a great addition to my earbuds collection. I'm sure some other people will have better experience than I had.

SPECS
Model: BGVP DX5
Drive unit: 14.2mm DLC Dynamic
Impedance: 30ohm
Sensitivity: ≥111dB SPL/mW
Frequency response: 10Hz-45kHz
Distortion rate: 0.5% @ 1kHz
Channel balanced: ≤1dB
Rated power: 8mW

IMG_20191110_203335-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_203614-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_203744-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_211104-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_211638-01.jpeg IMG_20191110_212225-01.jpeg

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #45,798 of 75,855
Another BGVP product came around and again, I would like to share my thoughts about its sound and overall build.

BGVP DX5

PROS:
- Excellent build quality
- Warm and smooth midrange
- No hint of sibilance
- Above average soundstage quality
- Non-fatiguing sound
- MMCX

CONS:
- Lacks in bass quantity, not for bassheads
- Easily slips out of my ear conchae due to the small driver diameter

Source used: AUNE M1s

Build
Shells are made of metal with good design in mind. It's not your generic kind of shell design. I think this can take a beating and would still work. The 8-core stock cable included is also well made from the MMCX connectors down to the L-plug, which are also both made of metal by the way.

Fit
This pair didn't sit well in my ears due to the small diameter of the drivers and probably the shape of the shells. There are rubber fins included in the package aside from the 6 pairs of extra foams (including donut ones), but they often don't do justice to an earbuds' sound, IMO. I didn't bother using them this time. I prefer using earbuds worn down all the time. For the foams, I used the included full ones.

Sound
Bass - I would consider this pair as bass light. Though the low end isn't totally anemic, they just lack in quantity than what I would have preferred. Subbass is very subtle but is still felt. Midbass has a bit more emphasis here having good punch when needed. I enjoyed using them for genres such as Alternative Rock, Jazz, and vocal centric tracks.
Mids - This area is where I liked them the most. Lower mids has good warmth and is smooth overall. No sibilance at all. Guitars, saxophones, and trumpets are easily heard loud and clear. Though I feel like clarity would benefit more by using donut foams instead of full ones.
Treble - Upper mids to treble is smooth and quite laid back. It is not entirely veiled throughout and sparkle is still audible enough with decent texture, though I feel like there's an early roll off here.
Soundstage - Overall sound feels centered except for the slight emphasis on the upper bass and lower mids. Stage width is actually good, which contributes to the better texture of its bass and treble. Even though they're ever so slightly more pushed back than the mids, good layering and 3D imaging saved their asses so they're not totally left behind in quality.

Conclusion
If you're not a basshead and is in for long listening sessions with tracks that are focused on vocals, the DX5 is a good option for you. Earbuds with this kind of build quality at this price range is not so common. You'll often find the likes of this at above $100. If not for the fit issue (which differs among all of us), this pair would have been a great addition to my earbuds collection. I'm sure some other people will have better experience than I had.

SPECS
Model: BGVP DX5
Drive unit: 14.2mm DLC Dynamic
Impedance: 30ohm
Sensitivity: ≥111dB SPL/mW
Frequency response: 10Hz-45kHz
Distortion rate: 0.5% @ 1kHz
Channel balanced: ≤1dB
Rated power: 8mW

Have you by chance used the **** Bk2? These are close to perfect fit for me, but I'm looking to upgrade sound quality. The DX5 is also a 14.2 shell, so I kinda figured these might be the one. I was going to order them on the 15th, but now I'm not so sure. The lack of bass you reference concerns me. No L/R markings on the buds? How do you know which is which, or does it matter?

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #45,799 of 75,855
I am having a problem understanding what you are describing. I have not noticed anything strange with the mids on my M1.

They are very likely made by the same factories for them. Just get what you like the look of. I will mention that I prefer copper personally and for buds I don't want the cable to be too heavy... especially if it is going to hang straight down. I have gotten several 4 core and 6 core copper mmcx cables for just a few dollars each.

Smabat M1 vs Smabat ST-10.png

It's a hard feeling to explain. So I've proceeded to measure them and I've clearly seen what I meant, that emphasis on 3kHz. I don't notice it in all the recordings, but there are songs where I do feel a sense of distance/closeness in the midrange. Now I know why. It may become softer during the burning process. It's not important though.
By the way @mbwilson111, do you have both Smabat, which do you prefer? I haven't compared them yet.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #45,800 of 75,855
No L/R markings on the buds? How do you know which is which, or does it matter?

If a bud is symmetrical and the cable is detachable, then you don't need markings on the shell. The markings on the cables will do.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #45,802 of 75,855
Nov 11, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #45,804 of 75,855
I see, so each bud (l/r) has its own shape. My bk2 - both buds are identical.

No.. if there are no l/r markings on the shells, they should be the same...symmetrical like I said. It does not matter which one you use for which side.

Obviously the cable connectors do matter.

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #45,806 of 75,855
Have you by chance used the **** Bk2? These are close to perfect fit for me, but I'm looking to upgrade sound quality. The DX5 is also a 14.2 shell, so I kinda figured these might be the one. I was going to order them on the 15th, but now I'm not so sure. The lack of bass you reference concerns me. No L/R markings on the buds? How do you know which is which, or does it matter?

you can use this
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

and then just mark the the buds yourself which is left and right.

Edit : scratch that, i misread your post, accidentally thinking that you meant the Shozy BK :sweat_smile::pray:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #45,807 of 75,855
CONS:

They are identical, so it doesn't make much sense to label them since it is the cable that determine which side it is, not the earpieces. On that note, probably a better idea to make the cable L/R marking more obvious by putting a notch and bight color on them.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #45,809 of 75,855
got my VE upgrade package today with the new BIE mmcx with copper cable and the new Sun design with thick copper cable.
So glad I held off the more expensive buds today like the Turendot as I don't see how much better they could be versus this new VE design.
Very happy
No need for further frivolous pursuits
saving up for a TOTL source to power these beasts.
These were pricey even as an upgrade but worth every penny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back