Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 4, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #18,514 of 75,423
I'd like to know if spending 730 USD on CAX Golden Reference is reasonable?

Only 2 pair were made. Is someone selling their pair? I paid $280 for my pair of CAX black. Would easily pay $400. $730? Not so sure. I would not pay that much for any pair of ear- or headphones.

Apparently CAX golden reference has got better bass while CAX black has got better highs. So a Stax owner should feel more at home with CAX black...

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #18,516 of 75,423
Thanks. None want to sell their golden reference so apparently paying almost double the price will get you a new one. Stax is great, but sounds too "real" for my taste. I've ordered the TY Hi-z 650, hopefully would be great. I really like my MX985, I do appreciate neutral but also warm sound. As for what I understand, the golden reference easily out beats the CAX black. I do have the money to spend on the golden reference, but I don't know if to take that leap of faith.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #18,517 of 75,423
  I do have the money to spend on the golden reference, but I don't know if to take that leap of faith.

Just remember that earbuds are rather fragile in general and sometimes they don't last very long - their drivers can be blown or develop rattle. And sometimes children eat them - that's a $730 meal and not very nutritious but OK you can spend even more in a restaurant so...

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #18,519 of 75,423

Just remember that earbuds are rather fragile in general and sometimes they don't last very long - their drivers can be blown or develop rattle. And sometimes children eat them - that's a $730 meal and not very nutritious but OK you can spend even more in a restaurant so...

That's a good point. I was going to argue that Audeze headphones have a history of driver failure, but they also have a great warranty, even for second-hand owners. I just got into earbuds just last year, but do earbud sellers have any long standing warranty? Especially DIY builders, like Cypherus, that sell high end buds? I would imagine it would be too costly for them, or just plain impossible since they use drivers that are very limited in supply. (Like the original Monk drivers for Diomnes)

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #18,520 of 75,423
I'd hope things like the cable would at least be covered. It would be lame if you bought a DIY bud and the drivers still worked but something else broke and they wouldn't fix it. Like the connector plug or wire or something.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #18,521 of 75,423
A person who has heard both golden reference and Black told me that G.R has got better and deeper bass while Black has got better details. Bass is neutral on Black and I do prefer bass on CampFred. Other than that Black is on a different level compared to CampFred. You could get both CAX Black and Zen Black for a little over $600. $730 is just too much in my opinion.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #18,523 of 75,423

That's a good point. I was going to argue that Audeze headphones have a history of driver failure, but they also have a great warranty, even for second-hand owners. I just got into earbuds just last year, but do earbud sellers have any long standing warranty? Especially DIY builders, like Cypherus, that sell high end buds? I would imagine it would be too costly for them, or just plain impossible since they use drivers that are very limited in supply. (Like the original Monk drivers for Diomnes)

I have read on Head-Fi numeros times that $358 Zen Black is offered with lifetime guarantee and that would be very fair offer although I haven't found any official info about it on VE web pages. And what lifetime really means in the case of the Zen Black? Some companies offer lifetime guarantee but it means for the life of the product, i.e. as long as the products is offered by the company and the lifetime guarantee expires when the products is discontinued.

I guess that these makers that use limited NOS or donor drivers for their more expensive earbuds (e.g. Mojito, Cygnus, CAX) will keep some drivers on stock for future guarantee service.

By the way, my Ostry KC08T already developed right driver distortion and my Cygnus L/R channel imbalance - I will have to send them both back for service. Untill now I only had to send back for service my Mojitos but it was solely because of connectors problem.

I think that's part of the magic with cheap earbuds - they may be treated like disposable contact lenses - you can almost just throw them away at the end of a day/week/month and just use another pair.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #18,524 of 75,423
  I also ordered several other budget (<$10) earbuds (Qian25, Qian39, Standard VE Monk Plus), some cable, and connectors - to experiment with cable modding.

Once I get my Taxes filed, and find out what the refund might be, I'll consider one of the more expensive earbud models.

Take Care,
David Baldock

NASA doesn't pay very well? Lol. :wink:

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #18,525 of 75,423
Hello,

this is strangely the first time (I guess as I had to create a user) that I post here. Although I am following the thread almost from its inception!
I am writing you to give a heads up as i am selling my second pair of Sennheiser MX980 as new on ebay  ( http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/132115961007 ).

Although if you want to conclude on PM before anyone bid on ebay I am open for it (as i can close the ebay selling before a bid), just let me know.

Cheers and happy listening!

PS: just for info/sharing I am using my other pair (the one not selling) with a GEEK OUT IEM 100 amp/dac with my laptop and it is fantastic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back