Dynamat mod for Sony MDR-1R
Aug 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #19 of 90
Do you guys think I can apply this mod to the BT version? Has anybody done it before?

Hmm i think the insides are different because of the battery compartment and the nfc and other hardware components. I don't have an mdr 1rbt so i can't say how much. Maybe you could open it and see..

Finished up the mod a while back. I think more people should just directly buy the dynamat... The improvement is more than worth the $20 spent on the dynamat. And you also have dynamat for any future projects lol.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 90
Quote:
Hmm i think the insides are different because of the battery compartment and the nfc and other hardware components. I don't have an mdr 1rbt so i can't say how much. Maybe you could open it and see..

Finished up the mod a while back. I think more people should just directly buy the dynamat... The improvement is more than worth the $20 spent on the dynamat. And you also have dynamat for any future projects lol.

Thank you. I was actually thinking in opening them but they are pretty brand new and I suppose I'll wait a little bit more. That's why I was wondering if somebody had already done it, to have kind of a guide on it.

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #21 of 90
Quote:

Thank you. I was actually thinking in opening them but they are pretty brand new and I suppose I'll wait a little bit more. That's why I was wondering if somebody had already done it, to have kind of a guide on it.

Ah, sorry can't help you there I have the regular version. I tried doing a quick google search but didn't really find anything useful.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 90
Just bought the MDR-1RBT today, like them quite much. Nonetheless, I am wondering if the MDR-1RBTs are technically the same as the MDR-1Rs in terms of same sound quality when run in passive cable-mode. Any ideas on that?

My point is...if that's the case...then your mod should work just quite as well, right?

Besides...anyone else besides the thread-opener done this mod to his phones already?

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #24 of 90
Just bought the MDR-1RBT today, like them quite much. Nonetheless, I am wondering if the MDR-1RBTs are technically the same as the MDR-1Rs in terms of same sound quality when run in passive cable-mode. Any ideas on that?

My point is...if that's the case...then your mod should work just quite as well, right?

Besides...anyone else besides the thread-opener done this mod to his phones already?

Various people (like me) have done the dynamat mod. Again i dont have the rbts but it think the interior is different. The regular ones just have an empty chamber but the wirelesss needs battery and the controls and hardware aspect. If you arent worried about opening your headphones we could solve this mystery heh.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #25 of 90
Quote:
Various people (like me) have done the dynamat mod. Again i dont have the rbts but it think the interior is different. The regular ones just have an empty chamber but the wirelesss needs battery and the controls and hardware aspect. If you arent worried about opening your headphones we could solve this mystery heh.

Thanks, still weighing options though, since I just started playing with some equalizers and wondering if that's not just enough for my needs. Anyhow, I am aware that the RBTs must be technically different to the 1Rs to a certain extent due to the bluetooth-stuff (battery, controls, else), but my questions is directed (solely) to the sound-relevant stuff, like the drivers, etc. All of that should be the same, right? Assuming this is the case, then applying the dynamat-mod should produce the same results as on the 1Rs, am I correct?

As I am completely NEW (like really really new) to all this sound-enthusiasm, I start to realize the complexity behind all this as I just started doing research. I have another illustration to make my point. Yesterday I read the reviews on the MDR1s (so all three phones) on http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/solid-sony-mdr-1r-mdr-1rbt-and-mdr-1nc (what a lovely site that is, btw) and I was wondering about the differences in the measured frequency responses. Take a look.

R1: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR1R.pdf

RBT: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR1RBTActive.pdf

or to make it simple (that's a gif, wait for 4 seconds): http://www10.pic-upload.de/04.08.13/1kg7w3zs2r3.gif

Am I correct that the different responses are a solely due to the bluetooth-streaming since the devices are (sound-)technically the same since they are of the same built? If this is so, I have two options, either using a equalizer to level out these differences or instead using dynamat. Or should i first try to use the equalizer to level out the inherent sound-differences to the 1Rs and then apply the dynamat to make them sound just like your modded 1Rs?
Talking about the equalizing-part since this is complelty new to me: Am I correct that it's that simple to basically overlay both frequency graphs (1Rs and RBTs) and calculate the differences on any given point in the frequency range and then to make the corresponding changes to the equalizer? Example: I calculated -18db on the 300Hz frequency for the RBTs in comparison to the 1Rs, so all I do is increase the equalizer accordingly (+18db on the 300Hz) to make them sound as 1Rs? Hopefully I was capable of making my point since I'm not a native speaker. Cheers.

@ admins: How can I directly paste images into my posts? Somehow this is denied for me.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #27 of 90
Ideally you shouldn't do any positive EQing. Positive EQing can introduce clipping and distortions. For the frequencies you want to boost, leave them at 0 and lower everything else instead. Or in other words, just shift all of your EQ down so that your highest one (250hz), is at 0 and everything else is below 0.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #28 of 90
Ok, I understand what you are aiming at, plus I do unterstand why positive EQing isn't all that great. But wouldn't your approach deaden (absorb) the entire listening experience, or am I wrong?

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #29 of 90
Dumpen? It'll have the same effect as you intended, but you will just need to raise the volume of your player or amp to make up for the lower volume.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #30 of 90
Quote:
Dumpen? It'll have the same effect as you intended, but you will just need to raise the volume of your player or amp to make up for the lower volume.

sry, wrong language. replace dumpen with absorb or let's say deaden out the sound over the entire frequency range (damping maybe?). that's what i meant. understood your point though. thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back