DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 28, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #11,641 of 14,084
  Of course.Linus is a computer reviewer not a music expert.I would seriously be tempted to give pono a listen but i can't find a store in Greece that has one on display.Oh,well at least we have beautiful girls.

But as I know the audiophile is a very strange person with his own of mind :) and (without really beautiful girls in Greece) I (temporary) turn out myself about the Pono with phrase "the need for sufficient". It's just my phrase :)

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #11,642 of 14,084
  Of course.Linus is a computer reviewer not a music expert.I would seriously be tempted to give pono a listen but i can't find a store in Greece that has one on display.Oh,well at least we have beautiful girls.

especially in your town - i know 3 beautiful women there all worked up to meet me - too bad i live 500 kms away from your town
frown.gif

oh well , at least i have the dx90+K3003 keeping me company at night

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #11,643 of 14,084
want to add that DX90 is still better suited for mult-balanced amature phones than the pono which has an output impedance of 4 Ohms...
Tyll also adresses this issue in his review => devices with high output impedance like the pono or even the expensive AKs change the frequency response of  complex balanced amature ear-phones significantly. This is a fact, whether some people like the introduced changes is a different story and for highger impedance phones it shouldn't matter anyhow.
But as for me, I also like to use my go to DAP with low impedance balanced amature phones, and considering how well the DX90 measures and the output impedance of < 0.1 ohm, I never have to worry in this regard.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #11,645 of 14,084
True, the output impedance of Pono can alter some very low impedance iem's, but 4 ohm is quite reasonable, so changes will be on the smaller side, and as you say, some might even like the change that the higher out put impedance gives to the sound, a guy in Pono thread loves his 8 ohm SE846 with the Pono more than his X5 for example. And there is a reason behind the output impedance at least, the engineer behind Pono Charles Hansen from Ayre, didn't want to use negative feedback to reduce output impedance, which many daps do, claiming that it degrades sq. Charles is obviously a knowledgeable guy, he designed discrete transistor IV, LPF and Buffers for the Pono, while DX90 for example uses opamps for each. I'm not saying ones better than the other, but Charles designing it discrete allows him to fine tune the sound to exactly what he wants rather than rely on opamp signatures.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #11,646 of 14,084

Originally Posted by Kerouac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Btw, there's one for sale in the classifieds (page 3 at this moment). A Neil Young signed limited edition for ''only'' $400 (kickstarter price). It says ''Will ship to US'', but you can always give it a try
biggrin.gif

Thanks about joke about trying Pono in US :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but it wasn't a joke. What I ment was "Maybe you can buy it from him and he will send it to Russia''. Just saw there's already another potential buyer though...

True, the output impedance of Pono can alter some very low impedance iem's, but 4 ohm is quite reasonable, so changes will be on the smaller side, and as you say, some might even like the change that the higher out put impedance gives to the sound

A few hrs ago I received a (2nd hand) Sony Z7. The sq in balanced mode scales up quite a bit over single mode...
But I believe you have/had the Z7 also, right
rolleyes.gif

I will try the Z7 later this weekend also from the DX90...

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #11,647 of 14,084
  I have a question 2All.
Does anyone use the protection film for player's screen? And if it's possible - describe please why yes or no in your answers.
Thanks.

The DX90 comes with a protective screen installed as well as one or two spares.  The factory installed screen is done so well you probably already have it on yours and don't realize it.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #11,648 of 14,084
Pono lacks DSD support. They said "No" to this format as it won't be offered at Pono Shop. Does it have an integrated amp? No? 400 bucks? Are you pulling my leg? If I should replace my DX90 with another DAP, I'd look at
- FiiO X3-II/X5-II
- Cayin N6
- iBasso DXxxx

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #11,649 of 14,084
Of course the Pono has an amp.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #11,651 of 14,084
I have read the Pono sounds pretty good and some good reviews. I can't get by the shape, the high output impedance, no matter what you say, that can skew the freq response. I wouldn't mind seeing one and listening to see if I would change my mind but frankly, I don't think there is really an excuse for 4 ohms on the output. but again, obviously I am open to different daps and functions. I must be with all that I own now. lol 

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #11,652 of 14,084
Pono lacks DSD support. They said "No" to this format as it won't be offered at Pono Shop. Does it have an integrated amp? No? 400 bucks? Are you pulling my leg? If I should replace my DX90 with another DAP, I'd look at
- FiiO X3-II/X5-II
- Cayin N6
- iBasso DXxxx

It plays DSD, it has an amp!

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #11,654 of 14,084
Why not? I regularly receive the parcels from US and EU without any problems. There are some problems with DHL parcels in Russia as I know (customs clearance etc.) and that's all.
Sorry it was ment to be a joke

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #11,655 of 14,084
I like Linus, and he was ragging on the whole hi-res file part more than the actual player. There are a lot of debates on the whole 24/192 stuff on this site - which shows that there is a lot of speculation among the "audiophile" community as well.

I have read the Pono sounds pretty good and some good reviews. I can't get by the shape, the high output impedance, no matter what you say, that can skew the freq response. I wouldn't mind seeing one and listening to see if I would change my mind but frankly, I don't think there is really an excuse for 4 ohms on the output. but again, obviously I am open to different daps and functions. I must be with all that I own now. lol 

Pretty much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back