DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #11,327 of 14,084
  My ears was terribled after 10-15 mins of listen with 2.1.8 - and what? :) If you finded your sound -- it's yours!!
But, it's not mine.

Just about cards - as you see a changes of sounds with current and previous versions of firmware? :)

My ears fine 2.1.8 to be just fine. I prefer the slightly punchier, and more lively sound in v 2.1.8.  Perhaps my ears are not as finely tuned as yours, or as sensitive, or our tastes and preferences are just different?  I do not know.

I am not sure what you are asking with the following:  "Just about cards - as you see a changes of sounds with current and previous versions of firmware?"

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #11,328 of 14,084

My ears fine 2.1.8 to be just fine. I prefer the slightly punchier, and more lively sound in v 2.1.8.  Perhaps my ears are not as finely tuned as yours, or as sensitive, or our tastes and preferences are just different?  I do not know.

I am not sure what you are asking with the following:  "Just about cards - as you see a changes of sounds with current and previous versions of firmware?"

Ours ears FRF is just ours :) meaned the frequency response of.

Please :) - be shure I'v asked about bugs about reading from card with 2.1.5 and the from the new FW. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #11,329 of 14,084
listening on low gain with lurkers 2.1.8, in my opinion the best firmware so far. It took me some time, but after a while playing with the gain settings, I realised that low gain is my preferred setting.
On 2.1.8 for me it is very balanced with better mids than the old firmwares, bass is not hitting harder than the previous one for me.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #11,330 of 14,084
iBasso does not write exFAT driver, but uses one from Android. So, the real solution is to use aforementioned SD card formatting tool.

I don't like this solution.

Right is, the FW exFAT driver is Android OpenSource and now we know it's out of MS specs.
Uhhg, OpenSource and their open definitions.

With little or less Microsoft's help they could exchange or rewrite the driver to MS specs.
I'm shure that using their original exFAT will cost nothing, MS is happy if their file system is
integrated or spread. Doing a WHQL Cert will cost ( hurt ). iBasso still payed ( tons ? ) of money
for doing some Certs with them, so i think they would go the "safer" MS way.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #11,331 of 14,084
I don't like this solution.

Right is, the FW exFAT driver is Android OpenSource and now we know it's out of MS specs.
Uhhg, OpenSource and their open definitions.

With little or less Microsoft's help they could exchange or rewrite the driver to MS specs.
I'm shure that using their original exFAT will cost nothing, MS is happy if their file system is
integrated or spread. Doing a WHQL Cert will cost ( hurt ). iBasso still payed ( tons ? ) of money
for doing some Certs with them, so i think they would go the "safer" MS way.

I think the problem is Microsoft's restrictive licensing and reluctance to release the complete exFAT specification that's causing problems with implementation with Open Source firmware without having to use workarounds.  In theory, Ibasso can probably license exFAT from Microsoft, but that 'll probably cost money.  And that cost will have to be passed to someone (us).  Personally, I'd prefer the current solution than having to pay-up for that.

Edit #1: Also worth noting that the association of companies that are in charge of standardizing SD card implementation (the same folks that make the tool to format the card) includes Microsoft.  One would have thought Microsoft would have used a similar standard in formatting SD cards through Windows... It makes me think it's Microsoft's problem for not following industry set standards properly as well.

Edit #2: It seems that gapless playback on 2.1.8 causes two tracks to overlap.  On Dream Theater Live at Luna Park for example, "On The Backs of Angels", "War Inside My Head" and "The Test That Stumped Them All" seen to have a 16th note missing between them. 

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #11,333 of 14,084
  hai, is there a way to change battery icon to battery percentage? thanks!

+1 

That would be really useful !

On another note, I've been listening extensively to the 2.1.8 L0 fw for the past four days. And I've noticed the bass is hitting harder, but I'm not annoyed by it. I've also noticed more micro details in most tracks. And scanning my 128GB Sandisk card (which contains around 36GB of Hi-Res, CD-rip Flac and 320K mp3) took less than a minute !!!

Thanks iBasso and Lurker0 :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #11,335 of 14,084
  +1 

That would be really useful !

On another note, I've been listening extensively to the 2.1.8 L0 fw for the past four days. And I've noticed the bass is hitting harder, but I'm not annoyed by it. I've also noticed more micro details in most tracks. And scanning my 128GB Sandisk card (which contains around 36GB of Hi-Res, CD-rip Flac and 320K mp3) took less than a minute !!!

Thanks iBasso and Lurker0 :)

More than in 2.1.5 L*? My ears opinion is another :)
I listening flac only.

Every new fw release is a mix of pain in the *** and a wonderful present.  I don't know if this also happens with other DAP manufacturers, but I'm addicted to it. Ibasso and Lurker, keep on feeding us!!!

I agree with Zvermetel, the sound of 2.1.8 is too much and rich for my taste, because of the less pushy character, details with 2.1.5 L are more present, balanced and (between my ears) natural. So I can't wait until the next fw, and the one after that, and after that and.....

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #11,336 of 14,084

Every new fw release is a mix of pain in the *** and a wonderful present.  I don't know if this also happens with other DAP manufacturers, but I'm addicted to it. Ibasso and Lurker, keep on feeding us!!!

Many thanks to Lurker's job!!! But the 2.1.8 - is, (as I see) - just the step out (from the "quality" of the previous FWs).

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #11,337 of 14,084

ZverMetel - Nobody dictates you have to use 2.1.8, this is a free world, use 2.1.5 if it makes you happier!
I love 2.1.8, especially with the T5p and CKR9 LTD - much more musical than 2.1.5.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #11,339 of 14,084
Yeah 2.1.8 lost a little bit of top-end but traded it off for some really nice rich mids and slamming lows. For example, Dave Matthews' Band's drummer Carter Beauford has 2 ride cymbals, a standard ride with a bell and a flat ride. In the song "41"'s chorus, he uses the flat ride and plays a nice hi-hat groove over it with the snare and toms on the upbeats. In 2.1.5L, I can distinctly hear that flat ride cymbal in the "Live Trax Vol 32" album. It gets drowned-out a bit in 2.1.8L. The same goes for Mike Mangini's rapid-fire ride work in "Lost Not Forgotten"'s chorus in Dream Theater's "Live at Luna Park" album. You can still hear them, just not as prominent as before. Toms also sound sharper (you can hear the attack of the stick on the head) in 2.1.5L.

That said, I'm liking the lush mids so I'm sticking with 2.1.8L until something better comes out. I'm a drummer, so I usually listen to how the drums sound in my favorite tracks and base my impressions on that first. Don't get me wrong, 2.1.8L does not sound bad. It just has a unique signature in the way 2.1.5L did.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #11,340 of 14,084
Yeah 2.1.8 lost a little bit of top-end but traded it off for some really nice rich mids and slamming lows. For example, Dave Matthews' Band's drummer Carter Beauford has 2 ride cymbals, a standard ride with a bell and a flat ride. In the song "41"'s chorus, he uses the flat ride and plays a nice hi-hat groove over it with the snare and toms on the upbeats. In 2.1.5L, I can distinctly hear that flat ride cymbal in the "Live Trax Vol 32" album. It gets drowned-out a bit in 2.1.8L. The same goes for Mike Mangini's rapid-fire ride work in "Lost Not Forgotten"'s chorus in Dream Theater's "Live at Luna Park" album. You can still hear them, just not as prominent as before. Toms also sound sharper (you can hear the attack of the stick on the head) in 2.1.5L.

That said, I'm liking the lush mids so I'm sticking with 2.1.8L until something better comes out. I'm a drummer, so I usually listen to how the drums sound in my favorite tracks and base my impressions on that first. Don't get me wrong, 2.1.8L does not sound bad. It just has a unique signature in the way 2.1.5L did.

I am on 2.1.5L3 and it sounds perfect to me. Unless there is a update worth doing Im going to stick with this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back