DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 5, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #10,921 of 14,084
  I've had some trouble with using my DX90 as a DAC and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.  It works alright as long as I use F8 to disable Driver Signature Enforcement at each bootup, but the last time I tried to open iTunes while playing music through my PC and DX90, I got the first Blue Screen of Death I've seen in probably a year.  I was able to get things up and running again but I've got to be honest: that sort of thing scares me.

This might help: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/loading-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-7-and-vista-64-bit-x64/

Also, another idea could be getting Win7 Pro and run it in XP Mode (VM) to see if it behaves better.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #10,922 of 14,084
Nearly another week to go:/
seems the bugs ibasso's facing for the new fw are more than we are thinking.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #10,923 of 14,084
Not trying to criticize your favoured listening settings or anything, but thought I'd point out ... do you understand that the volume control on the DX90 is digital? It transforms the waveform of the music BEFORE it gets amplified. The amplification is fixed depending on what gain you choose. If you've the volume at less than 255 (100%), you're losing quality from your music. Obviously you cant just whack it up to 100% and keep your hearing ... but the further away from 100%, the more information (quality) you're losing from your music. I have it on low gain so for me comfortable is 230 and up ... depending on the track. (I think I'm a quite moderate volume level listener).

Whether anyone could hear the difference in quality, say from 230 at low gain and 200 at hi gain, is a whole other question.

Note, this is why you should put the volume up to 255 for line out.

J

Ah, that is theoretically correct, and consistent with how I use my other dacs with digital volume. I will give the low gain a try myself the next time I put the dx90 to use and see if I get more bits of information when listening. Thank you for reminding us of the way digital volume works.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #10,924 of 14,084
Nearly another week to go:/
seems the bugs ibasso's facing for the new fw are more than we are thinking.

With FW releases it's normal for iBasso si take weeks when they say the release will be in a few days. Weeks become months. Nothing new here. But a new FW sure will go out no need to hold your breath. :grin:

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #10,926 of 14,084
Not trying to criticize your favoured listening settings or anything, but thought I'd point out ... do you understand that the volume control on the DX90 is digital? It transforms the waveform of the music BEFORE it gets amplified. The amplification is fixed depending on what gain you choose. If you've the volume at less than 255 (100%), you're losing quality from your music. Obviously you cant just whack it up to 100% and keep your hearing ... but the further away from 100%, the more information (quality) you're losing from your music. I have it on low gain so for me comfortable is 230 and up ... depending on the track. (I think I'm a quite moderate volume level listener).

Whether anyone could hear the difference in quality, say from 230 at low gain and 200 at hi gain, is a whole other question.

Note, this is why you should put the volume up to 255 for line out.

J

Generally, it's true. But relevant only to older 16-bit DACs. The latest generation of DAC and Sabres especifically use 32 bits internally to control volume. Digital volume using 32 bit word has shown that it doesn't impact SNR as much as it does 16 bit DACs. It will only start to be a problem at very low volume level usually approaching half the volume range in my estimate,

I think many people like the high gain because it adds a little bit of distortion. There is measurements posted in erji.net forums and headphonak review which shows DX90 at high gain punches above 1% THD.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #10,927 of 14,084
If I understood review on headphoniaks,on high gain thd is about 1% at 245 volume on 15 ohm earphone. Hifiman re600s is 16 ohm, so I think it's comparable. Such a high volume is impossibile for me to listen to, it's really deafening!

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #10,928 of 14,084
What's the best out to use with the DX90 + amp: HO, LO (gains not "working"), coax?

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #10,929 of 14,084
What's the best out to use with the DX90 + amp: HO, LO (gains not "working"), coax?

With an external amp you would normally use LO and max volume on DX90

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #10,931 of 14,084
Line out with volume set to 255 (max)

Gain is disabled when using line out.

Edit: beat me to it.

Gain is not exactly disabled. It is only applied/active on HO since it is an amp's function. You can still hear the effect if you have a headphone connected to the HO while when you are using the LO.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #10,932 of 14,084
Gain is not exactly disabled. It is only applied/active on HO since it is an amp's function. You can still hear the effect if you have a headphone connected to the HO while when you are using the LO.

Ok, I am aware of this, but if we must summarise the situation. Gain is not 'active' on the line out jack.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #10,933 of 14,084
Another thing, as I'm a bit confused concerning the firmwares.

I downloaded and installed the Lurkers firmware from the first page. But it seems it doesn't have the dual boot with rockbox.
So in case I want to have both (Lurker + RB), what do I have to download and install?
Is it possible to have both? If not which one is better sonic wise (although I adore the funcionality of RB)?

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #10,934 of 14,084
Another thing, as I'm a bit confused concerning the firmwares.

I downloaded and installed the Lurkers firmware from the first page. But it seems it doesn't have the dual boot with rockbox.
So in case I want to have both (Lurker + RB), what do I have to download and install?
Is it possible to have both? If not which one is better sonic wise (although I adore the funcionality of RB)?

Check the Rockbox for DX90 thread for links to dual boot versions of lurker. Only you can decide what sounds best to you

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #10,935 of 14,084
Hai, I am new to this high ress audio world, my question is, i have downloaded this amazing albums of oldschool song, but the format is .opus, is there any ways i can play those music on my DX90? thanks before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back