DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #6,527 of 14,084
Yea, but another amp can probably shape the sound in a different way than the internal amp that might be more pleasing to some people. I've recently heard an external amp that say vs internal iphone amp can pull a soundstage and images therein towards the vertical plane, ie producing more soundstage height at the expense of some width. For some earphones, this is a welcome change that I'd choose as a preference.

I think that my words get read as 'sound better' when all I say reference is performance. Performance does not equate to preference. I know a lot of audiophiles that dig valves. Hell, I dig them. And valves always suffer compressed stereo separation, higher THD, IMD, etc. and noise floors that good solid state circuits would never approach. But they sound good to those that like them. They do not perform good, though. So I agree, some amps add flavour. But I stand by what I said, you will not get an external amp to outperform the DX90 with your favourite earphones at safe listening levels. It won't happen. The LO is a fine thing, but the amp itself will not be able to approach the PERFORMANCE of the DX90's headphone output whilst driving earphones. It is an amazing internal circuit. Whether a person likes it or not doesn't bother me. I could care less. I do like it- quite a bit in fact. But I won't put an amp up to the DX90 unless I like the way it degrades sound performance into a pleasing patina.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #6,528 of 14,084
I think that my words get read as 'sound better' when all I say reference is performance. Performance does not equate to preference. I know a lot of audiophiles that dig valves. Hell, I dig them. And valves always suffer compressed stereo separation, higher THD, IMD, etc. and noise floors that good solid state circuits would never approach. But they sound good to those that like them. They do not perform good, though. So I agree, some amps add flavour. But I stand by what I said, you will not get an external amp to outperform the DX90 with your favourite earphones at safe listening levels. It won't happen. The LO is a fine thing, but the amp itself will not be able to approach the PERFORMANCE of the DX90's headphone output whilst driving earphones. It is an amazing internal circuit. Whether a person likes it or not doesn't bother me. I could care less. I do like it- quite a bit in fact. But I won't put an amp up to the DX90 unless I like the way it degrades sound performance into a pleasing patina.

Nah I got you, good posts btw. I just wanted to sort of add an addendum, but did a poor job of it lol.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #6,529 of 14,084
  I think that my words get read as 'sound better' when all I say reference is performance. Performance does not equate to preference. I know a lot of audiophiles that dig valves. Hell, I dig them. And valves always suffer compressed stereo separation, higher THD, IMD, etc. and noise floors that good solid state circuits would never approach. But they sound good to those that like them. They do not perform good, though. So I agree, some amps add flavour. But I stand by what I said, you will not get an external amp to outperform the DX90 with your favorite earphones at safe listening levels. It won't happen. The LO is a fine thing, but the amp itself will not be able to approach the PERFORMANCE of the DX90's headphone output whilst driving earphones. It is an amazing internal circuit. Whether a person likes it or not doesn't bother me. I could care less. I do like it- quite a bit in fact. But I won't put an amp up to the DX90 unless I like the way it degrades sound performance into a pleasing patina.

Can you define the PERFORMANCE you are saying? It seems you do include S/N and stereo separation as PERFORMANCE factors.

One can take the identical DX90 internal amp circuit design, moving all the opamps/capacitors/resistors to an bigger external circuit board with wider copper traces, better shielding and independent power supply, and achieve a lower stereo crosstalk figure. And this better stereo crosstalk PERFORMANCE factor alone contributes to the obvious sound stage and instrument separation which nearly every DX90 + external amp users experience.

External amps does not just add flavor (like you tube amp theory) and power (you said external amp just adds voltage). To the very least they allow real estate for better circuit design over the internal amp which has to be cramped in a 2cm x 3cm circuit board area which also share the power source with the DX90 DAC circuit section.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #6,530 of 14,084

New back cover for extended battery from China Jaben

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #6,531 of 14,084
Nice! I see that being appealing to a lot of people. It would be even better if they could extend it a bit more though...

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #6,533 of 14,084
how much and does it fit OK.

not sure how much or the fitness yet, the announcement was made by the China Jaben in iBasso China forum yesterday as stated "available soon" ~~ Hopefully I can get it asap once they on sale 

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #6,535 of 14,084

Can you define the PERFORMANCE you are saying? It seems you do include S/N and stereo separation as PERFORMANCE factors.

One can take the identical DX90 internal amp circuit design, moving all the opamps/capacitors/resistors to an bigger external circuit board with wider copper traces, better shielding and independent power supply, and achieve a lower stereo crosstalk figure. And this better stereo crosstalk PERFORMANCE factor alone contributes to the obvious sound stage and instrument separation which nearly every DX90 + external amp users experience.

External amps does not just add flavor (like you tube amp theory) and power (you said external amp just adds voltage). To the very least they allow real estate for better circuit design over the internal amp which has to be cramped in a 2cm x 3cm circuit board area which also share the power source with the DX90 DAC circuit section.

You can't increase the size of the tracks in the chips and I guarantee that there's more resistance and other electrical characteristics in the cable, V control and connections used in/for an external amp and really, the only places to use heavier tracks are current related positions like PS and amp out. I bet it's been addressed. You're allowed to prefer an external amp but there's no good 'reason' for it to be better if what's there is neutral and drives it's intended load.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #6,536 of 14,084

You can't increase the size of the tracks in the chips and I guarantee that there's more resistance and other electrical characteristics in the cable, V control and connections used in/for an external amp and really, the only places to use heavier tracks are current related positions like PS and amp out. I bet it's been addressed. You're allowed to prefer an external amp but there's no good 'reason' for it to be better if what's there is neutral and drives it's intended load.

What is the guage and ohmage of a typical cable and what value resistors are used in the circuit of the DAP?  Can you also tell us the ohmage of the apth in the DAP, the ohmage of the circuits in the DAP?  What electrical characteristics do you speak of?

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #6,537 of 14,084
Okay, so I freely admit that I'm not nearly the tech-savvy audiophile that most of you guy seem to be.  I'm primarily here to lurk and learn because I can't "talk shop" on a level with the big boys.  Disclaimer aside, I have questions that seems appropriately timed, given the current dispute about external amplification in the thread.  I love my DX90.  I absolutely love it.  I've never heard instrumental separation like this in my entire life and to call the clarity outstanding is an understatement that borders on insult.  The one issue I have with it—and this may well be the result of an iffy IEM pairing and/or lackluster mastering—is that while the low end is present and accurate it sometimes lacks the impact I prefer.  I don't get a lot in the way of obvious sub-bass, in particular.

I'm not the type of basshead who would shell out for cannons or even Velodyne vPulses but I'd like the option of dialing up the bass a notch or two.  I'd like to get some opinions from the majority of you regarding eternal portable amplifiers and the DX90.  Specifically, I'm looking to spend no more than about $150 right now and I want to maintain as much accuracy as possible in the mix while boosting the lower frequencies.  I'd really like to avoid bass bleed or drowning out my highs/mids.

1)  Yes or no—does it make good sense to use an external amplifier with the DX90 to reshape the sound signature in the way I've described above?
2)  What brands/models would you recommend for this, if any?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to take a few minutes to educate a noob.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #6,538 of 14,084
  Okay, so I freely admit that I'm not nearly the tech-savvy audiophile that most of you guy seem to be.  I'm primarily here to lurk and learn because I can't "talk shop" on a level with the big boys.  Disclaimer aside, I have questions that seems appropriately timed, given the current dispute about external amplification in the thread.  I love my DX90.  I absolutely love it.  I've never heard instrumental separation like this in my entire life and to call the clarity outstanding is an understatement that borders on insult.  The one issue I have with it—and this may well be the result of an iffy IEM pairing and/or lackluster mastering—is that while the low end is present and accurate it sometimes lacks the impact I prefer.  I don't get a lot in the way of obvious sub-bass, in particular.

I'm not the type of basshead who would shell out for cannons or even Velodyne vPulses but I'd like the option of dialing up the bass a notch or two.  I'd like to get some opinions from the majority of you regarding eternal portable amplifiers and the DX90.  Specifically, I'm looking to spend no more than about $150 right now and I want to maintain as much accuracy as possible in the mix while boosting the lower frequencies.  I'd really like to avoid bass bleed or drowning out my highs/mids.

1)  Yes or no—does it make good sense to use an external amplifier with the DX90 to reshape the sound signature in the way I've described above?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to take a few minutes to educate a noob.

Everyone has preferences. It is a very personal thing, in that you hear what "you" hear. 

I find that the amp section, having compared it to external amps, is very neutral and with headphones, that have good bass, are driven with deep bass. If the monitors you use don't have deep bass and would need to use a bit of a bass boost, and your desire is to compensate for the perceived lack of low bass and your desire for it, then possibly an amp with a bass boost. I have the best semi portable amp I have ever heard and for most purposes, do Not find I need it with the DX90. The DX90 is a portable and all my portable phones and most home phones are driven great with it. No distortion or collapse of the sound field is noted in comparison to external amps. The layering is there as are the frequency extremes. 

If you want something different, then use some external amp to your liking but as mentioned, I find the internal amp neutral and powerful and by powerful I mean that it drives without any apparent distortion or constraint on the signal going through it and being amplified. The line out offers you many options and using it, is your choice and playground. :^)

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #6,539 of 14,084
  ...... The one issue I have with it—and this may well be the result of an iffy IEM pairing and/or lackluster mastering—is that while the low end is present and accurate it sometimes lacks the impact I prefer.  I don't get a lot in the way of obvious sub-bass, in particular.

Maybe this will change a little to the good with a future firmware update by Ibasso?

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #6,540 of 14,084

Maybe buy some headphones with good bass? Like, for instance, T-PEOS H-300 or JVC FX850? Both of them cost more than $150, unfortunately… Or, maybe, go for the new  T-Peos Alton200 (which should be somewhat similar to the H300 (who has very very good bass extension), but with "easier" treble...

You might like to have a look at these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724546/new-t-peos-alton200-3-way-hybrid-introduction-high-end-sound-cheap-as-chips
http://www.head-fi.org/t/724471/t-peos-announce-releasing-alton200-and-start-preorder-limitedly

As for amps, the C&C BH2 comes to mind (it's within your budget, it does boost bass - and treble - if you want), but IMHO it is a definite step-down from the amp in the DX90 (great amp for the money - I have it - but the one in the DX90 is simply better, IMHO)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back