DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 22, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #6,302 of 14,084
Here's my experience with batteries.  
I initially replaced the stock Pisen with a no-name 4300 mAh, and was happy with the extra run time.
Then with all these findings from people about the better SQ, I bought a Korea/China battery, date: 2014.03.03 and compared it against my existing batteries.
Definitely a worthwhile improvement, so I happily switched to the Samsung battery.  An easy decision, as it's a low cost item to get an improvement.

Then I was looking at one of the stands in a HK market, that sells used/new cellphone accessories.  Bought a Japan/China, date: 2012.7.14, and a Korea/Vietnam, date: 2012.07.03.  Came home, charged them, and tried them, kind of expecting that they would be pretty similar to the Korea/China battery I was using.  Actually, I was worried that these 2 year old batteries might not last long enough, or might not be as good as a new fresh battery.

Well, I was quite surprised, that the old Japan/China sounded noticeably better.  SQ is more detailed, airy.  Guitar notes shimmered, and stood out.  Like a layer of haze had been removed.  

Now, to all the people who believe this is nonsense, and all in the head, let me just say that I don't believe that is the case, as I have actually been more on the doubters side starting off, and only grudgingly changed my beliefs, after trying and observing, and realizing that even if it made no sense, I could not discount what I was hearing.

And here is some theorizing on what may be causing the difference.  Some speculation has been on impedance, cell resistance, etc.  These are what first come to mind, I believe.   Here is another possibility.  The protection circuit.  While I am ready to believe that cell physical makeup will make a difference, I have doubts about how much difference this would cause.  No facts, just a gut feel about what I personally feel is likely.

Now, the protection circuit is inline with the output, as it needs to protect against over-current (shorts), over voltage, under voltage, etc.  So this implies that there is a solid state switch inline with the output, to shut off the battery if needed.  This may be the cause of the different SQ affect.  The Japan/China battery uses a different protection circuit board.  It is likely that the Japan production sourced a different circuit, as Japanese production often specifies different specs for products manufactured for Japan market.

If this is the case, then one way to verify is to disconnect the protection circuit, and connect the battery directly, bypassing the protection circuit.  
Let me say that I am only suggesting trying this to prove the theory, and not to run with it permanently.  Though it may be possible, accepting that there is a risk if the battery shorts.  And being much more careful to not let it run down, as the low voltage protection would not be there.  Or replacing with a better protection circuit.  Identify which one the Japan/China battery uses, and get replacements to swap in.  Then could go back to a bigger battery!

So all conjecture for now.  The simplest solution is to use the battery I have now.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #6,303 of 14,084
What I've learned is not to be too concerned about the naysayers on head-fi. You hear what you hear, that's it. You don't have to justify it to anyone. Everyone is a skeptic on the inside. Nobody wants to be gullible/foolish. Everyone has their own careful method of testing/judging. If it passes your personal test for a better sound than don't worry about what other people say.

So I'm out at a coffee shop listening to the DX90 + Sig Pro combo. My DX90 is loaded with the awesome Samsung "made in Korea" battery and what can I say? Just totally awesome. The precision/seperation/layering + air is improved, more dynamic slam/energy too. It's blowing my mind right now. Sig Pro sounds even more neutral than before. I'm confused because they sound like a more transparent Spirit Pro right now. Haha.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #6,304 of 14,084
About batteries, my personal impression is that my Japan/China battery is definitely the best one out of the several I currently own (another couple of China/Korea Samsungs, the gold Klipsch 3250 mAh, 2 Pisens, one other aftermarket).

About the reason why this might be so, and limiting the comparison to the Pisen stock battery (I didn't pay too much attention on noticing how much different batteries lasted after a while, preferring to concentrate on enjoying the music
smile.gif
), one thing that I noticed is that the Pisen also definitely seems to last longer… maybe the Samsung battery outputs more "energy" (power/current, whatever), though the nominal specs (volts, mAh) are nominally the same? And that's why it sounds better?

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #6,306 of 14,084
Yes, voltage/current are at the heart of everything, but this is only the surface, and does not indicate anything about the other factors.  The current drain is one of these factors.  Though I suspect this is not one of the main factors for an audio player, which does not need to draw a lot of current.  For led flashlights, sustained drain is a major factor to get the max light output, but an audio player does not need a high current drain.  I suspect that all the batteries put out enough current.  The same reasoning for the other factors, like chemical composition of the cell, etc.  They can all be different, but are they a reasonable suspect as to the cause? 

Thinking about the makeup of a battery(or detailing anything we are troubleshooting) is a useful exercise.  Listing out the parts that we are aware of:  the actual cell, with wires connecting it to the protection circuit.  The PC (protection circuit) is inline between the cell and the external battery contacts.  The PC is a complex little circuit, which we may forget about the existence of, but it is there in every lithium battery.  So the PC may have a major impact on what the cell delivers.  Both the PC and the cell can have an impact.  At the moment, we don't know which has the greater impact, or whether it is a combination of both factors.  Going on my interest in audio, and the differences that wiring can make, I have a thought about what the effect would be if the wiring is replaced with Cardas ribbon interconnect wire, which I happen to have a couple of feet lying around.....but no, while it would be interesting, and might actually give some unexpected results, I am too lazy to go down that path, at the moment.

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #6,307 of 14,084
Hello,

I'm a complete audiophile noob.  I just got the DX90, and it has firmware 2.0.0.  Sorry if I'm asking something that has already been answered; I've searched but didn't find the answer.

I am using a Macbook Pro and so far have only downloaded audio from HDTracks.

I haven't gotten a microSD card yet, but when I do, will it be better to plug the microSD card in my Mac and transfer files that way, or insert microSD card in DX90, plug DX90 into my Mac via USB then transfer that way?

Do I need to format anything specifically for Mac?

Thanks in advance

Enjoy your new DX90 peruna96. They are wonderful devices, which put a smile on your face.

By far the easiest and fastest way to get music on your Micro SDCard is to drag and drop while your card is in your Mac.

If you do it while the card is in your DX90, the DX90 does a lengthy re-scan. When you do it on your computer, once you put the completed card in your DX90 there is a short scan of the entire card. You don't need to do any special reformatting.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #6,309 of 14,084
I have 2 of the made in Korea assembled in china batteries and they do sound better than the stock and the other 2 I have.
I followed Jamatos advice and order 2 of the ones he has which are supposed to be made and assembled in Korea , and they are the best ones he has heard. I will get them in a couple of days.
Now everyone is saying that the japan made ones are the best, can anyone please tell me where I can find one?
Thanks in advance for any assistance

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #6,310 of 14,084
I have 2 of the made in Korea assembled in china batteries and they do sound better than the stock and the other 2 I have.
I followed Jamatos advice and order 2 of the ones he has which are supposed to be made and assembled in Korea , and they are the best ones he has heard. I will get them in a couple of days.
Now everyone is saying that the japan made ones are the best, can anyone please tell me where I can find one?
Thanks in advance for any assistance

Go back one page

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #6,311 of 14,084
  So is there a one second delay? I have read this but am not sure what this refers to. 

I think i know what this means
For the audio playing through foobar I had no delay at all BUT when i tried to play a game there was a 1-2 second delay and the 'mango' driver caused my PC to bluescreen and crash! :)
So for me audio is perfect but playing a game did not work... I havent tried videos

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #6,312 of 14,084

Users who are viewing this thread

Back