DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4,396 of 14,084
I didn't get a charger from ProStudio, I just got the digital adapter and the cable. Too bad it's an audio cable but I already have several digital cables. Still don't know what that adapter cable is with the 1/8-inch stereo plug on one end and a sort of square thing on the other.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4,397 of 14,084
  I didn't get a charger from ProStudio, I just got the digital adapter and the cable. Too bad it's an audio cable but I already have several digital cables. Still don't know what that adapter cable is with the 1/8-inch stereo plug on one end and a sort of square thing on the other.

That's the burn-in cable if you want to burn in your DX90 without actually a headphone. (why I have no idea.)

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4,398 of 14,084
  That's the burn-in cable if you want to burn in your DX90 without actually a headphone. (why I have no idea.)

Why to burn in or why to use the resistor network? 

I think the included resistor for burn in is a great idea. If you like to burn in, which I do, no headphones are plugged in and I can just let it go while forming the capacitors and doing whatever else burning in does. I hear and have heard changes. Some hear a difference some don't Nice addition though, IMO. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #4,399 of 14,084
If the DX90 requires burn-in, it does not seem to exhibit the symptoms of other components during their burn-in, such as harshness and/or frequency imbalance. Looking forward to hearing the fully burned-in version.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #4,400 of 14,084
  Why to burn in or why to use the resistor network? 

I think the included resistor for burn in is a great idea. If you like to burn in, which I do, no headphones are plugged in and I can just let it go while forming the capacitors and doing whatever else burning in does. I hear and have heard changes. Some hear a difference some don't Nice addition though, IMO. 

If the DX90 requires burn-in, it does not seem to exhibit the symptoms of other components during their burn-in, such as harshness and/or frequency imbalance. Looking forward to hearing the fully burned-in version.

So far I haven't noticed any changes after listening to it for a while.  BTW, the DX90 sounds like a more refine version of the AudioQuest DragonFly, which also uses an unspecified version of the ESS Sabre DAC.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #4,401 of 14,084
Thanks nc8000, that means there's hope for those albums. Now, how do I do that? In mp3tag, or some other way? PM if necessary.

Jim

Yep, you use mp3tag

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #4,402 of 14,084

Just saw the DT880 600ohm going for a good price on the web... Can the Dx90 drive them adequately? If someone can kindly give me its pros and cons I would really appreciate it..

A few days in and the K545 somewhat cannot satisfy me like it did T_T 
dont know what's happened... 

DT880 @ 600Ohms is a bit more sensitive (96 dBSPL/mW) than K545 @ 32Ohms (97 dBSPL/V)

To hit the 110 dB peak which is lough enough for most recordings (Pop, rock) K545 needs 4.4 Vrms and DT880 needs 3.8 Vrms. DX90 as per specs can only put out 2.8Vrms @ high gain. DT880 can sound louder than K545 but still not enough.

I don't speak electrical engineering, so I'll just take your word on that :wink:

I just tried it and have to say it doesn't really drive 880/600s to satisfaction.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #4,403 of 14,084

DT880 @ 600Ohms is a bit more sensitive (96 dBSPL/mW) than K545 @ 32Ohms (97 dBSPL/V)

To hit the 110 dB peak which is lough enough for most recordings (Pop, rock) K545 needs 4.4 Vrms and DT880 needs 3.8 Vrms. DX90 as per specs can only put out 2.8Vrms @ high gain. DT880 can sound louder than K545 but still not enough.

The first value is efficiency, and the second is sensitivity.  Completely different types of values.  Not comparable values.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4,404 of 14,084
The first value is efficiency, and the second is sensitivity.  Completely different types of values.  Not comparable values.

Sure they are different values but they are related. You can extract 1 value from the other. The more sensitive the headphone the more efficient it is. So how is it not comparable?

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #4,405 of 14,084

Sure they are different values but they are related. You can extract 1 value from the other. The more sensitive the headphone the more efficient it is. So how is it not comparable?

mW is power input.  V is voltage input.  Power depends on two of the three variables(V,I,R), and then there is only voltage dependency for sensitivity.  One maybe more efficient than the other, but not necessarily more sensitive while at it.  

May 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,406 of 14,084
mW is power input.  V is voltage input.  Power depends on two of the three variables(V,I,R), and then there is only voltage dependency for sensitivity.  One maybe more efficient than the other, but not necessarily more sensitive while at it.  

Ok this is becoming a sound science topic but is a very basic one. V, I, R are all involve but you only need to get 2 values of any combination of the 3 to compute for power. These are not absolute values because there are other factors involve (e.g. cuurent limiter circuit etc) but the headphone sensitivity/efficient spec are nominal values and they are good enough as a general guide.

To make things simple:

96dbSPL/mW headphone definitely will play louder than a 97 dbSPL/V all things equal. If you don't agree the best thing to prove it is get the 2 exact headphones in question K545 and DT880 and see which one sounds louder.

May 1, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #4,407 of 14,084

So far I haven't noticed any changes after listening to it for a while.  BTW, the DX90 sounds like a more refine version of the AudioQuest DragonFly, which also uses an unspecified version of the ESS Sabre DAC.

I got a chance to hear a brand new set of DX90 comparing with my set burn in abt 100 hrs.. there is a different how great u have to hear it yrself.... the burn in unit is more refined, less bright, bass is better controlled. Everything is less harsh. Somehow soundstage is narrower..

May 1, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #4,408 of 14,084
What's the easiest way to restore the default wallpaper? I haven't started messing with mine yet, but I always like to have an exit strategy for when I inevitably end up somewhere I regret.

Thanks.

May 1, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #4,409 of 14,084
I took a different approach to buying a spare battery, although costlier. When the DX90 runs out, I have to switch to an X5. When the X5 runs out I switch back to the DX90. Such a tough life☺ But each time I pick up either unit, I enjoy changing.

May 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #4,410 of 14,084
What's the easiest way to restore the default wallpaper? I haven't started messing with mine yet, but I always like to have an exit strategy for when I inevitably end up somewhere I regret.

Thanks.

Simply take out from the DX90 the "wallpaper.png" you put on the internal memory in order to get a custom wallpaper in the first place 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back