DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 9, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #2,431 of 14,084
Well, it is 1% so it is about the borderline of distortion detection for most human, and in very ideal condition. I don't think 1% is really that audible outside of a test labs - but that has to be some standard reference for testing and 1% is chosen by the audio industry based on old data. This depends also on the load as well. It can be better or worst when you change the load. So the number only makes sense if everything is tested under that same load, but not directly reflect to all 32 ohm headphone out there.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,433 of 14,084
  I see, so what you're saying is that if the tester maxes the volume of the DX90, then it will be 2.8Vrms, but with higher than 1% THD?

Does it say what volume he used before reaching 1%?

Hmm... I guess the X5 does have an advantage for harder to drive cans that need closer to max volume.

In the erji.net test, yes.

You can see the voltage on the graph, that's the volume. It is about 2.1Vrms, pretty much full scale line level and way more than what you will ever want on a 32 ohm headphones (which most can usually go very loud with less than 0.55Vrms =old iPod's line out).

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,434 of 14,084

So from your subjective impression, would you say the DX90 is just as powerful as the X5 in driving all those cans? Or a little less? Because according to this tester the X5 is like 48% more powerful which seems just wrong, unless he was using medium gain or something.

Subjectively because of the way it portrays the music, it sounds more powerful to me. I only want my music to be loud enough to be enjoyable but if played louder, the DX90 doesn't compress or lose dynamics, which surprised me. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,435 of 14,084
It must be. The DX50 is also at the same level at 1.7Vrms (1.612Vrms) for mid gain.

So I used Google translate and this is what came up:

"Output power: DX50 output power as relatively small player in the domestic music (still several times larger than the foreign brands), focusing on pushing good earplugs, get longer battery life and a small fever. DX90 output power is 1.8 times DX50, right ear and some large low sensitivity headphones have better performance (of course, life will be shortened). X3 and X5 proud to fly relatively large output power, DX100's actually not much more than 300 milliwatts necessary."

To me, it doesn't sound like he put them on mid-gain, but then again it might just be lost in translation...

Anyways, I'm fine with 2.1 Vrms (if that's what it turns out to be), but I wish I had not been led to believe it would be more. I still think it's "plenty" for most scenerios. And what Jamato said is true, I believe in Ibasso's measurements more than this guy, plus we have Jamato's subjective experience with the 560 which I also trust.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,436 of 14,084
  Subjectively because of the way it portrays the music, it sounds more powerful to me. I only want my music to be loud enough to be enjoyable but if played louder, the DX90 doesn't compress or lose dynamics, which surprised me. 

Ah, that makes sense. If the DX90 can convey the full scale of dynamics in music, it will sound more powerful as it can show the true breath of the dynamics, even at the same volume level as the X5. Anyway, I guess this is a non-issue and I'll find out when I have my DX90 sometime next week. Thanks for answering my questions Jamato.
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #2,437 of 14,084
So I used Google translate and this is what came up:

"Output power: DX50 output power as relatively small player in the domestic music (still several times larger than the foreign brands), focusing on pushing good earplugs, get longer battery life and a small fever. DX90 output power is 1.8 times DX50, right ear and some large low sensitivity headphones have better performance (of course, life will be shortened). X3 and X5 proud to fly relatively large output power, DX100's actually not much more than 300 milliwatts necessary."

To me, it doesn't sound like he put them on mid-gain, but then again it might just be lost in translation...

Anyways, I'm fine with 2.1 Vrms (if that's what it turns out to be), but I wish I had not been led to believe it would be more. I still think it's "plenty" for most scenerios. And what Jamato said is true, I believe in Ibasso's measurements more than this guy, plus we have Jamato's subjective experience with the 560 which I also trust.

Possibly, but it is a certain DX90 has more power than DX50. At this level, there should not be any problem powering most on-the-go headphones and most if not all iems. You probably will use an amp anyway if you listen to a full-size headphone at home since most full size headphones are > 300 ohm or inefficient (think HE-6).

Like Jamato mentioned DX90 can power HE560 just fine to a loud volume which at 147mW is quite enough.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #2,438 of 14,084
For me, the whole point of having the DX90 is not to carry a stack.

I will only be using it with my current headphones, which are all quite efficient. K812, Sig Pro, and Focal Spirit Pro.

I don't forsee any problems, but I do like how much power/headroom I have with the X3 and was thus please when I read the specs on the Ibasso website that said the DX90 has the same amount of power. I think I'll be fine anyway. It's non-issue.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #2,439 of 14,084

Nope. 8GB + 128 GB or even 64 GB is plenty. Plus an OTG option. 

Hard to believe that the DX90 weighs less than the Cowon J3. The J3 is smaller and thinner, but it weighs about .45 lbs. The DX90 weighs about .30 lbs (including the battery). I think it may have something to do with the internal parts being slimmer and more advanced. It's like comparing a old 1990s Nokia phone to the Samsung Galaxy S4/5. 

J3 is much lighter, actually. 76 grams according to Cowon's website.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/j3/tech_specs.html

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #2,440 of 14,084
I broke down and ordered the DX90 tonight to compare with my Fiio X3 and not yet arrived Fiio X5. I imagine I'll pick a winner or two and sell off the remainder.

By the way, word in the X5 thread is that Fiio X5's latest beta firmware completely solves any issues with Gapless playback in tag and folder browsing modes.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #2,441 of 14,084
I broke down and ordered the DX90 tonight to compare with my Fiio X3 and not yet arrived Fiio X5. I imagine I'll pick a winner or two and sell off the remainder.

By the way, word in the X5 thread is that Fiio X5's latest beta firmware completely solves any issues with Gapless playback in tag and folder browsing modes.

X5 is well ahead of the beta testing period. DX90's still hasn't commenced yet. :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #2,443 of 14,084
Speaking of which, has anyone receive any delivery details yet? I made a slight mistake in the delivery address I sent to iBasso, but iBasso has not been responding to my mails since the 2 days ago.

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #2,444 of 14,084
No delivery notice yet.

Ibasso responded to me yesterday about 12 hours after I sent them an e-mail.

I imagine they're crazy busy right now, packing DX90s up and double-checking addresses, orders, etc, etc, and building additional units. It's probably a mad house right now.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #2,445 of 14,084
  I have always enjoyed reading your information in these forums. I was dissapointed to read your response to a question about my iBasso purchase invoice. Not delivery time. I did do a search for the DX90 invoice information. Nothing appeared.

My 26 year old son was rushed to St Josephs Hospital ER on 03/27/2014. He was in the Critical Care unit until 04/05/14. The worst day of my life was when three surgeons told me there was a good probability my son would die on the operating table and to be prepared. Be prepared! How does a parent prepare themselves for that. If he made it through the operation we would have to wait 48 hours to know whether he would survive.

Do you have any children? Do you have any idea what that feels like to know that your child’s life can be cut short by a disease of fate. One day you have a healthy 26 year old son and the next day you are in an emergency room watching him suffer and near death. My son has made it through this nightmare and has come home to live with us until his next surgery in one month. I won’t know what will happen in the next several months. I do know that his life will change drastically.

My love for music has helped me keep my sanity during all of this. Most of it anyway. Although I am still recovering from the shock of that horrible day and not knowing what his future will be now.
No Sir it didn’t occur to me how short our lives would be answering the same questions 15 times a day. I really wasn’t thinking about that at the time. I was simply asking for help. Life can be taken away from us at anytime and any age. I do know how short someone’s life could be.

Thank you to the members that kindly did answer my question.

I have children, two of them. I also have a wife, a house and a full-time job. Between all that, I keep an eye on Head-Fi and follow a few threads, this being one of them. 

The way you phrased your question (and response) and the timing where it came in after a string of similar questions made you come off (to me, at least) as yet another punk expecting to have information served on a silver platter, something that happens way to often on busy forums. I responded accordingly, during a busy day. I now understand why you wrote the way you did, I hope this helped you understand my response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back