DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,416 of 14,084
Deleted. 

Measurements all look good, difference but I look forward to listening impressions. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,419 of 14,084
According to that Chinese link, the graphs show that DX90 wins in almost any aspect compared with DX50/X3/X5...

Also someone in that link said it would be better to use the LO and add an amp in order to get better SQ from the DX90, just like the AK series...

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,421 of 14,084
Wait... why is the voltage only 2.1Vrms?

Shouldn't it be 2.8Vrms like the X5 and X3?

147mW into 32ohms, while being okay is much lower than stated by Ibasso. I was thinking it would do 250mW+ like the X5 since they're both rated at 2.8Vrms.

(Is this DX90 perhaps just a beta-test unit or something?)

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #2,422 of 14,084

147mW into 32ohms, while being okay is much lower than stated by Ibasso. I was thinking it would do 250mW+ like the X5 since they're both rated at 2.8Vrms.

I don't read chinese, but possible it's set to mid gain?

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #2,423 of 14,084

Maybe it was set it medium gain? That would make sense as medium gain is rated 2.0Vrms

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #2,424 of 14,084
I don't read chinese, but possible it's set to mid gain?

Maybe it was set it medium gain? That would make sense as medium gain is rated 2.0Vrms

I REALLY hope that's what it is. And you guys are right, that's the most logical explanation.

For reference on the Ibasso site it says:

Output Level: 1.3Vrms(Low gain), 2.0Vrms(Mid gain), 2.8Vrms(High Gain)

So if it was on medium gain then it exceeds the specifications, if it was on High, then...
confused.gif
(calling on our Chinese members for clarification please, thank you)

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2,425 of 14,084
  I think the DX90 and X5 are neck and neck except distortion, which DX90 has less, and X5 has more power.  I'm not totoally sure, but DX90 square wave looks the best, and X5 is the next best.

You are somewhat right. The number looks better on DX90 for the most parts but when it comes to full output, you can see X3 and X5 can comfortable max out (and almost double the output) and still has THD under 1%. Basically it means DX90 should have the advantage as long as you don't push it outside of its comfort zone. The further you push it, the more X5 will catch up, and overtake when near / over 150mW is needed. But with that much power into 32ohm, DX50 should be just fine with most headphone out there.

iBasso stated it can do 2.8Vrms, but it is not that same as saying it is the maximum undistorted output. It is the 1% THD threshold that matters. Gain setting doesn't have much to do with it directly. What the measurement means is that you keep pushing the volume (and gain) higher and higher until you hit the 1% mark (or you max out on volume and gain, like X3 / X5 in this case). The 1% mark is chosen because it is believed that that is the point when distortion becomes audible to human ears. So basically it is a test to show the maximum power you can get into a certain load until you start to distort the sound audibly.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2,426 of 14,084
All I know from listening is that I can run the DX90 at max volume and I hear no distortion and the sound quality doesn't really change from when the volume was lower. I wonder if they tested it correctly. I trust iBasso more than what is shown there for output because I have heard the output into the TH900 and the HE-560. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #2,427 of 14,084

iBasso stated it can do 2.8Vrms, but it is not that same as saying it is the maximum undistorted output. It is the 1% THD threshold that matters. Gain setting doesn't have much to do with it directly. What the measurement means is that you keep pushing the volume (and gain) higher and higher until you hit the 1% mark (or you max out on volume and gain, like X3 / X5 in this case). The 1% mark is chosen because it is believed that that is the point when distortion becomes audible to human ears. So basically it is a test to show the maximum power you can get into a certain load until you start to distort the sound audibly.

I see, so what you're saying is that if the tester maxes the volume of the DX90, then it will be 2.8Vrms, but with higher than 1% THD?

Does it say what volume he used before reaching 1%?

Hmm... I guess the X5 does have an advantage for harder to drive cans that need closer to max volume.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #2,429 of 14,084
  All I know from listening is that I can run the DX90 at max volume and I hear no distortion and the sound quality doesn't really change from when the volume was lower. I wonder if they tested it correctly. I trust iBasso more than what is shown there for output because I have heard the output into the TH900 and the HE-560. 

So from your subjective impression, would you say the DX90 is just as powerful as the X5 in driving all those cans? Or a little less? Because according to this tester the X5 is like 48% 25% more powerful which seems just wrong, unless he was using medium gain or something.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,430 of 14,084
I REALLY hope that's what it is. And you guys are right, that's the most logical explanation.

For reference on the Ibasso site it says:

Output Level: 1.3Vrms(Low gain), 2.0Vrms(Mid gain), 2.8Vrms(High Gain)

So if it was on medium gain then it exceeds the specifications, if it was on High, then... :confused: (calling on our Chinese members for clarification please, thank you)

It must be. The DX50 is also at the same level at 1.7Vrms (1.612Vrms) for mid gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back