DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 31, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #1,683 of 14,084
It is always good to incorporate "operative" words. IMO. :^)

I hope to have more time but just saw my schedule of 12.5 hour shifts and it isn't pretty. One day off after tomorrow and then back again and I have a book I have final submissions for that they want more images for now. 

I will do what I can though but I honestly feel, though there is always the outer. I try and give the best interpretation of what I hear as I can and take it very seriously. So unless something goes odd in the burn in process, I have to say this is one very exceptional dap. It just does so many things right. The HE-6 require an amp but that is true for them with anything I have listened to. With the TH900, just fine like I have an amp already attached. The HE560, well the volume does have to be turned up to around 235 for loud but it doesn't distort and doesn't sound like the amp is straining at all. This little dap is crazy for all that it can do and how it sounds. The dual sabre dacs have been very well implemented. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,684 of 14,084

The operative word in my remark was 'huge'... as in unlikely to be huge.

I don't doubt that there will be a noticeable difference (perhaps in image placement accuracy and neutrality, for example), but, overall, I don't expect the DX90 to 'jump all over' the X5.

'Law of Diminishing Returns', etc. etc.
cool.gif

Like you mentioned before, the biggest possible improvement is the amp section. If DX90 can really sound better or on par with external amps people have been using with DX50 when used with CIEMS and easy to drive cans, then it's huge. I consider the dual-DAC just an icing on the cake. This has the potential to be a truly pocketable hifi DAP.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,687 of 14,084
Wonder how this will compare to the ak480 that was just announced :)
Lol

Obviously it will be 10X as good because it's 10X the price....dah!

At that price the owner is going to keep it in a safe too worried to loose it or get it stolen so we might never know if it was portable. :tongue_smile:

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,688 of 14,084
At that price the owner is going to keep it in a safe too worried to loose it or get it stolen so we might never know if it was portable.
tongue_smile.gif

Have you actually looked at it?

It hardly looks portable....it would however make a fantastic wood-splitting wedge, so I guess for a lumberjack it could be useful on the job.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #1,689 of 14,084

The operative word in my remark was 'huge'... as in unlikely to be huge.

I don't doubt that there will be a noticeable difference (perhaps in image placement accuracy and neutrality, for example), but, overall, I don't expect the DX90 to 'jump all over' the X5.

'Law of Diminishing Returns', etc. etc.
cool.gif

Like you mentioned before, the biggest possible improvement is the amp section. If DX90 can really sound better or on par with external amps people have been using with DX50 when used with CIEMS and easy to drive cans, then it's huge. I consider the dual-DAC just an icing on the cake. This has the potential to be a truly pocketable hifi DAP.

It seems to me that iBasso has made a real effort to beef up the amp section and use one of the best DAC in the making, may I mention in a harder to build dual mode design. Assuming their design work is top notch, I think the player might surprise the owner more than it's believed so the only law of diminishing return will be the one from not owning one.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,690 of 14,084
Have you actually looked at it?

It hardly looks portable....it would however make a fantastic wood-splitting wedge, so I guess for a lumberjack it could be useful on the job.

I would not be so fast to bash the AK240 design, if you go pass the shape which for me was initially difficult, you might marvel at what iRiver has done;

The cold analytic CL4398 dac in dual mode, balanced output which design is never as easy as people might think and to top it off, complete native DSD support through an added XMOS chip. Last and not least a top notch UI. The iRiver engineering team has to be a hell of a design team, the challenges they faced in creating the final product is beyond believe. If it wasn't the price, which is another thing I had a problem going above, I would have bought the player on a heart beat and stopped my search, but alas the chip they did not use is the one I am going on a quest for. I think iBasso is real close to push the envelope. If they could watch and learn what iRiver has done then watch out for the player you will be holding in your hands.

Anyway I got carried away back to the DX90. I like to think that this version is a step up for them which might lead them to the ultimate replacement for the DX100 later on but again only time will tell. Now when I say replacement I mean everything, internal and UI plus all the bell and whistle of a modern player.

My humble prediction is the competition between the different camps will heat up tremendously in 2015.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #1,691 of 14,084
I would not be so fast to bash the AK240 design, if you go pass the shape which for me was initially difficult, you might marvel at what iRiver has done;

Not the AK240....the AK480....'The Wood Wedge'...it's a "marvel" alright....a marvel of expensive ugly-ness. Can you imagine the lovelyness of carrying this thing in your pocket?

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,692 of 14,084

Not the AK240....the AK480....'The Wood Wedge'...it's a "marvel" alright....a marvel of expensive ugly-ness. Can you imagine the lovelyness of carrying this thing in your pocket?

I thought of a whiskey bottle when i saw this image. I think it's 1st of April today right? :wink:

Come on iBasso open that ordering portal!!! :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #1,695 of 14,084

I thought of a whiskey bottle when i saw this image. I think it's 1st of April today right? :wink:

Come on iBasso open that ordering portal!!! :frowning2:

Holly cow all that time I thought you were kidding, hahaha I can't stop laughing. I made a joke on the ak240 thread about the numbering scheme and the cost, looks like they followed the advice. :D

I got a peak at the thread could not believe what I saw, yeah specs look spanking good but not the player though I was hoping they would give up the shape but they decided to keep going. It's definitively not portable and they are saying a 500 lottery pick to buy a 4800 based player. :eek:

Ok it's April's fool day so we can drop the mask :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back