DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jun 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #766 of 3,609
Quote:
If you can demo it first more power to you :). I think it's a very good player. Still not perfect but as close to being perfect as I've gotten so far :)

Really like the small size, but really put off by AK's marketing and 1000% mark up in price. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #767 of 3,609
I can't argue with you there. The price alone is a sore point but who knows? With time maybe they will come down in price as the AK100 has. From $700 to $500+. I see iRiver selling many more units with a lower price point. Plus factor in the build quality, decent UI, battery life and sound quality all in one package. I can see them making bank on them.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #768 of 3,609
Quote:
I can't argue with you there. The price alone is a sore point but who know? With time maybe they will come down in price as the AK100 has. From $700 to $500+.

/i may start to think about getting it if it drops below $1000, but anything over, no way. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #769 of 3,609
Quote:
I can't argue with you there. The price alone is a sore point but who knows? With time maybe they will come down in price as the AK100 has. From $700 to $500+. I see iRiver selling many more units with a lower price point. Plus factor in the build quality, decent UI, battery life and sound quality all in one package. I can see them making bank on them.

I think iRiver needs to drop the price some. I for one will not buy the AK120 at its asking price no matter how good it is.  I predict that we will see a substantial price decrease when the DX50 & X5 become available at a much more reasonable cost.  However, they might just released a new flagship with dual DAC chip per channel on the AK140 and charge 1.5k for it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #771 of 3,609
Quote:
If they do they're crazy. This is 2013 not 1989. There's no reason for a DAP to cost 1000 plus in the modern era.

Err...the AK120 has a $1300 pricetag.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #773 of 3,609
Quote:
If they do they're crazy. This is 2013 not 1989. There's no reason for a DAP to cost 1000 plus in the modern era.

If speaker cables can cost $21,000, then a DAP for a grand is no big deal imo.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #774 of 3,609
Because R&D and quality control is free these days.

No R&D isn't free but the cost of producing these DAPs in China is pretty rock bottom cheap. It it wasn't companies wouldn't be contracting products to be assembled there hand over fist or building their own plants outright. Whether people want to admit it or not the iRiver DAP line is overpriced for this day and age. Give it time though, it'll come down

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #775 of 3,609
Quote:
If speaker cables can cost $21,000, then a DAP for a grand is no big deal imo.

Nah...that's a big deal.  B/c when one manufacturer start overcharging for products, it sets a trends and others will soon follow.  Tell me one good reason why it will be beneficial to you and me to overpay by at least two folds for such a device?  I can afford the AK120 but I refuse to pay that amount for a DAP.  $1300 can buy a lot of near reference level home DAC my friend.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #776 of 3,609
Quote:
Nah...that's a big deal.  B/c when one manufacturer start overcharging for products, it sets a trends and others will soon follow.  Tell me one good reason why it will be beneficial to you and me to overpay by at least two folds for such a device?  I can afford the AK120 but I refuse to pay that amount for a DAP.  $1300 can buy a lot of near reference level home DAC my friend.

Says the guy who has the five most expensive headphones on the market. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #777 of 3,609
Quote:

Says the guy who has the five most expensive headphones on the market. 
tongue_smile.gif

That maybe true...but I paid reasonable price for them and they do hold on to their value if not appreciate very well.  In DAPs it is a different story.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #778 of 3,609
Quote:
That maybe true...but I paid reasonable price for them and they do hold on to their value if not appreciate very well.  In DAPs it is a different story.

Very true, but like I'm sure you know, top of the line products (atleast spec wise) typically cost an arm and a leg, they are usually overpriced (sometimes x2, x3, x4 the competitors), and the parts used to make the device don't go hand and hand in how much it will be.  

Price is definitely a major con for the AK120 and the AK100, but realistically speaking, that can be said for a lot of audio equipment. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #779 of 3,609
Quote:

Very true, but like I'm sure you know, top of the line products (atleast spec wise) typically cost an arm and a leg, they are usually overpriced (sometimes x2, x3, x4 the competitors), and the parts used to make the device don't go hand and hand in how much it will be.  

Price is definitely a major con for the AK120 and the AK100, but realistically speaking, that can be said for a lot of audio equipment. 

Well it is.  However, I didn't think the price for the AK100 was too bad until I see the AK120's pricing.  That's one of the reason why I am waiting for the released of the FiiO X3 & X5 as well as the DX50.  FYI, I love iRiver and still hold on to two iHP120 & 140.  I just disagree with their pricing policies b/c other mfg. may follows....and all of us consumer will pay a whole lot more to get less.  I sure hope FiiO & Ibasso will continue with their affordable high performance gear.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #780 of 3,609
Quote:
No R&D isn't free but the cost of producing these DAPs in China is pretty rock bottom cheap. It it wasn't companies wouldn't be contracting products to be assembled there hand over fist or building their own plants outright. Whether people want to admit it or not the iRiver DAP line is overpriced for this day and age. Give it time though, it'll come down

Could you elaborate on your calculations a bit perhaps? You seem to be an expert on the cost of R&D, parts, warehouses, custom enclosures, software development, shipping, standards testing and -approval, licensing (Mp3 isn't free) not to mention the current cost of skilled electronic engineers in one of the fastest growing economies on the planet. Oh and remember to set a bit aside for warranty claims as well. I am very curious about how you reached your conclusion that these arguably limited productions are "rock bottom cheap".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back