DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
May 22, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #646 of 3,609
Quote:

Because it has a output resistors of 22ohm. A good player (and amp or any source as well, on that matter) should be 1 ohm or less ideally, 2~3ohm is still acceptable (which is typical for iDevices). Lower output impedance gives you better electronics dampening (reduce noise) and it won't color the sound of headphone with non-linear impedance phase (*typical for custom and multi-driver IEM with passive crossover). You don't need to mod it per se - all you need is to use it with a amp with low output impedance and the result will be pretty good.

I'm probably not going to get AK products. They charged $700 for an upgrade from 1 to 2 WM8740 chips and a bigger housing. That costs something like $20. 

May 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #647 of 3,609
Quote:
I'm probably not going to get AK products. They charged $700 for an upgrade from 1 to 2 WM8740 chips and a bigger housing. That costs something like $20. 

I know but people are buying it anyway. Not me. Such greed. 

May 22, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #648 of 3,609
Quote:

Especially considering the first one should have been priced at something like $400 in the first place. The ES9013 in the HDP-R10 and the DX100 are much better DAC chips and the amp section is better as well. I sure hope that the DX50 is an AK100 killer. 

May 22, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #649 of 3,609
Guys, since the topic is relevant I have a question. So let's say I have AK100 and I pair it with very low OI Portable AMP (any examples you can give, maybe Heir R1 or Tralucent T1 ? don't know their technical specs), I magically remove the 22 OI problem of the stock AK100? As I stated earlier too, I am really not a tech guy the make the link in between, if someone can explain I would appreciate that.

However, AK100 has a magical size, it is meant to be all in one device, using it with an amp is somehow ruins its purpose.

AK120 is, well, such a disaster with its pricing.

May 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #650 of 3,609
Yes, you are right. If you use an external amp with low output impedance, then the issue is gone, but so is the small onebox idea as you say. That's why people choose to have the output resistors removed (mod the AK100).

The output impedance of the AK120 is officially 3 Ohms, but someone measured it to be 5 Ohms. Either way it is still not ideal, but much better than the AK100.

It should be said also that the output impedance issue is only a problem with some IEMs and that the sound isn't distorted or completely off, it's just not as good as it should: bass is lost and not as firm and treble boosted.

People who has / heard the stock AK100 with JH16 find it having a very good synergy. This is contrary to the whole point we are getting regarding output impedance since the JH16 is in fact a multi BA driver custom IEM with low impedance (16 Ohm). However, since it has a bass boost by design the attenuation it gets from the high output impedance of the AK100 makes it a fair pairing. Also the somewhat warm tone of the AK100 pairs well with the JH16. This is not my impressions, but what I have read people say who has / heard this combo. The same story applies to the JH16 with HM-801 as far as I have understood.

May 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #651 of 3,609
With an output impedance of 22ohm, it will distort with any headphones with an impedance less than 176ohm.

It doesn't add distortion. Perhaps you mean alter the frequency response of non linear impedanced BA's? Most dynamics have a flat impedance curve. Also being under damped and adding resistance inline is how Etymotic acheives its stated driver response. It is the same affect as having an amplifier with 75 ohm OI. Anyway point being, adding resistance can have a desired affect but unless you know the impedance characteristics of your earphone, its a complete crapshoot.

May 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #652 of 3,609
Quote:
Yes, you are right. If you use an external amp with low output impedance, then the issue is gone, but so is the small onebox idea as you say. That's why people choose to have the output resistors removed (mod the AK100).
The output impedance of the AK120 is officially 3 Ohms, but someone measured it to be 5 Ohms. Either way it is still not ideal, but much better than the AK100.

If I knew it in the earlier days I would have been bought it already but too late now, I am going to get either X5 or DX50, which both have less than 0.5 OI. Must be honest, I am leaning towards to FiiO in this comparison but I am only talking about specs, nobody has heard them yet anyway. After reading a some reviews I will decide.

Things attractive in X5 for me: double microsd slot, physical buttons instead of touchscreen (hate everything with touchscreen, including my galaxy s2 or idevices). Also, I am not sure but the dac chip they use is better I think, which is not something clear. What is better? Nobody can tell it all depends on the whole structure .Anyway it is incredibly early for me to decide. It is good that I didn't buy AK100 before.

I know the success of DX100 especially soundwise, so iBasso has my curiosity and attention. I will never go without considering DX50 seriously. I wish DX100 had a little longer battery and physical control buttons and without android, that would be my ultimate device. I really don't mind its size since an amp is really not necessary with it.

The japanese version of DX100 has longer battery I believe but it still doesn't solve the UI and all.

May 22, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #653 of 3,609
Quote:

I know the success of DX100 especially soundwise, so iBasso has my curiosity and attention. I will never go without considering DX50 seriously. I wish DX100 had a little longer battery and physical control buttons and without android, that would be my ultimate device. I really don't mind its size since an amp is really not necessary with it.

The japanese version of DX100 has longer battery I believe but it still doesn't solve the UI and all.

cant agree more

May 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #654 of 3,609
Quote:

I can't agree more.  The sad part is some people will fall for that which will lead to other manufacturers raising their price.  Same thing with the new Shure IEM with a $1300 price tag.  The age of reasonable price gears are now coming to an end.  Funny how Sony walkman(s) are now considered cheap compared to these iRiver products.  BTW, I love the DX100 and I thought the pricing isn't too bad.  The only beef that I have with them is the size, UI, and battery life.

May 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #655 of 3,609
Quote:
I can't agree more.  The sad part is some people will fall for that which will lead to other manufacturers raising their price.  Same thing with the new Shure IEM with a $1300 price tag.  The age of reasonable price gears are now coming to an end.  Funny how Sony walkman(s) are now considered cheap compared to these iRiver products.  BTW, I love the DX100 and I thought the pricing isn't too bad.  The only beef that I have with them is the size, UI, and battery life.

Years ago there was a sports car, nice car, looked good but it just didn't sell well. Then with a couple of small changes, the biggest, upping the price to the next level, they sold great. Why? The price. Now people now thought they were really getting a great car. 

I think the DX50 will open things up unless people feel the need to spend more money. :^)

May 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #656 of 3,609
Quote:
Years ago there was a sports car, nice car, looked good but it just didn't sell well. Then with a couple of small changes, the biggest, upping the price to the next level, they sold great. Why? The price. Now people now thought they were really getting a great car. 

I think the DX50 will open things up unless people feel the need to spend more money. :^)

I am anticipating the DX50 released.  I have not gone through the entire thread yet but really want one.  I hope it isn't too expensive.  Any pricing information or expected release date?  Yeah, I will not touch the AK120 unless I can get one for around $700.

May 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #657 of 3,609
Quote:

I think DX100 deserves its price totally but I agree battery life and UI, not good responsive touchscreen are my problems too. That's why I stay away from that beauty. Who knows maybe I will not find what I am looking for in DX50 or FiiO X5 and go for DX100.

However I have high hopes for DX50 and X5.

May 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #658 of 3,609
Has anyone asked iBasso why they did not refresh the DX100 by replacing the Android with customized firmware, improve the battery life and add physical buttons while maintaining the original sound signature but at more affordable price?

May 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #659 of 3,609
Quote:
Has anyone asked iBasso why they did not refresh the DX100 by replacing the Android with customized firmware, improve the battery life and add physical buttons while maintaining the original sound signature but at more affordable price?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that at some point. The DX50 seems to occupy a different place in their lineup, and I don't imagine its existence would preclude the development of DX100 successors. I hope so, anyway-- I'd love to pick up a DX100 on the cheap from somebody really jonesin' for a DX110 or whatever :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back