DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #4,681 of 22,021
A review by my friend on Audio Garden. It is in French. His conclusion is more or less: 

Plus:

1. Sound is top tier, up there with the best (AK, Sony, Cowon), clear, clean, dynamic as ever, neutral
  2. Ui is very good and quite fast

Less good: a bit large, no play store, only one SD

In conclusion, great package, not as good price quality ratio as the X5III but significantly better sound wise. The best choice for those valuing sound above all else.

http://blog.audiogarden.fr/home/test/ibasso-dx200/

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #4,682 of 22,021
Anyone says play store not working. WindowsX makes everything possible

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #4,683 of 22,021
I have only tried FLAC files. It pauses. You have to press playi to get it to start again. Can happen about 5 times during a 3 minute long song

We will have a FW fix for this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #4,684 of 22,021
  A review by my friend on Audio Garden. It is in French. His conclusion is more or less: 

Plus:

1. Sound is top tier, up there with the best (AK, Sony, Cowon), clear, clean, dynamic as ever, neutral

In conclusion, great package, not as good price quality ratio as the X5III but significantly better sound wise. The best choice for those valuing sound above all else.

We have an upcoming FW that will allow Google.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #4,685 of 22,021

Plus:

We have an upcoming FW that will allow Google.

Oh, yeah!!!  Now, we're talking business
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #4,686 of 22,021

biggrin.gif

Google Play Store will not be pre installed but will allow for the installation of the Play Store. A drill will be offered an additional card slot.  The drill does come with the, "Voids your Warranty" sticker and use at your own risk in multiple languages.
smile.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #4,687 of 22,021

biggrin.gif

Google Play Store will not be pre installed but will allow for the installation of the Play Store. A drill will be offered an additional card slot.  The drill does come with the, "Voids your Warranty" sticker and use at your own risk in multiple languages.
smile.gif

Excellent!  Anxiously waiting for drill-update, hopefully it's released on April 1st!
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #4,688 of 22,021
The jury's still out for me on this device. It's quite a resolving DAP, but it's not clear yet how much of that is just due to the fact that it's quite a bright-sounding DAP. On the headphones I've been using (SE846, FLC 8S, both balanced and SE) that brightness comes at a price of less bass & sub-bass compared with the X7 (with any amp module) or the QP1R. I'm also still a tad disappointed that a premium Android 6 device comes without the Play store or Google Play services, although I understand there's hope that will be rectified one day. One feature request for iBasso -  @Paul - iBasso, I hope you will consider adding an on-screen volume control to the Mango player? The hardware volume control knob looks good from the photos, but in practice, it's your only option with Mango and it's terribly slow to raise or lower the volume by any significant amount. The QP1R volume control is waaaaayyyy better. IMHO.

I've also got some concerns about hardware reliability and customer service for those purchasing within the US. I also had hardware problems with my device (unfortunately for me, much more significant than just spurious screen inputs) and requested a replacement from ProStudio (US Amazon seller). I had to pay for return shipping (including insurance and signature-on-delivery) and also got this message from them:

Quote:
Please understand that ProStudio Sound & Music reserves right to determine whether the returned product is defective. All non-defective returns are subject to 18% restocking fee and physically damaged unit is not qualified for refund or warranty service. Also original shipping and handling fee we paid will be deducted from refund amount. 

On the one hand, I sympathize with these online sellers, whose profit margins probably aren't huge. Shipping costs are astronomical and are only going higher, and I'm sure there are a percentage of folks that abuse the system, just to try out a new device and then return it used because they don't like the color, etc. On the other hand, if a customer receives defective hardware through no fault of their own, it's harsh to make them pay shipping (+ insurance + SOD costs) both ways, in addition to a potential 18% restocking fee for a returned device. I do actually want a replacement device, but I don't know yet what my final cost is going to be to achieve that. It certainly looks like it's not going to be zero.

Those of you in the US that had to make returns/exchanges via Amazon, what was your experience like? 

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,689 of 22,021

On the one hand, I sympathize with these online sellers, whose profit margins probably aren't huge. Shipping costs are astronomical and are only going higher, and I'm sure there are a percentage of folks that abuse the system, just to try out a new device and then return it used because they don't like the color, etc. On the other hand, if a customer receives defective hardware through no fault of their own, it's harsh to make them pay shipping (+ insurance + SOD costs) both ways, in addition to a potential 18% restocking fee for a returned device. I do actually want a replacement device, but I don't know yet what my final cost is going to be to achieve that. It certainly looks like it's not going to be zero.

Those of you in the US that had to make returns/exchanges via Amazon, what was your experience like? 

I am sending mine back to Prostudio as well due to ghost tapping issues. You are correct about their policy. However, if you can gather some photographic evidence of the fault before you ship it back I don't see how they can get away with charging restocking -  iBasso will give them a brand new replacement. You could always contact Amazon if you are charged they will be able to help. 
Regarding shipping both ways, I would buy a new unit from them (free shipping) and request a refund for the faulty one. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #4,690 of 22,021
I've never paid for shipping on a return on Amazon for a defective device. That's unfair. You shouldn't have to pay for shipping period if the device is defective. If you return it, yes, absolutely. If you send it in for exchange, I find that unfair. Not my problem you do business on the Internet. Also not my problem that I received a faulty device. Cost of doing business. Online retailers also save a ton over brick and mortar stores. Less expenses... Much less.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #4,691 of 22,021
When fullfilled by Amazon sure, but this is a marketplace seller and they get to publish their own return policy which you can review before buying. I have paid return shipping to several audio stores for defective products. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,692 of 22,021

Due to phantom screen presses, I shipped my DX200 back to ProStudio on February 17th. They signed for delivery on February 21st. I emailed them on February 23rd to confirm delivery, and they told me that their return department hadn't yet received it, it takes from two to five days for a return to be processed, and they thanked me for my patience (which I don't really have, but I don't see any alternative at the moment :) ).

I still haven't heard from them, and I will email them again tomorrow if they haven't made contact by then. I paid more than $30 to ship it back by Priority Mail, insured for full value.

Before making the return, I had a very long back-and-forth, civil email discussion with them about the nature of the problems that I was experiencing, and I sent them the link to two very short videos I posted to YouTube that illustrated the problem. They authorized the return, and we did the usual Amazon button-pressing to make it official.

To date, ProStudio has behaved in a thoroughly professional manner. I look forward to hearing from them, and I will post further here once I do.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,693 of 22,021
  Regarding shipping both ways, I would buy a new unit from them (free shipping) and request a refund for the faulty one. 

That's actually what I did. I figured this was the quickest way of getting a replacement. However, this also gives our friends at ProStudio a bit more leverage. I've already paid for one lot of return shipping and (entirely at their discretion) it seems they can subtract two more sets of shipping fees, plus the 18% restocking fee from my refund. Let me know how your return works out. I'll post back with more details of mine later...

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,695 of 22,021
Reading a couple of posts above. I see that iBasso has replied a page back or so that the screen action, action on its own, is something the next FW is addressing. Also it is commented above that the DX200 is bright. I guess, know, we all hear things differently, but I don't hear this. I have the Sony WM1Z and in comparison, the DX200 isn't bright but has a little better detail. In comparison to the Hugo, directly out or my desktop amp in the chain, the DX200 isn't bright either. Of course this is my ears but I know bright and don't like it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back