DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jun 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #618 of 2,123
Spiral dot tips and no tuning ring maybe :sweat_smile:

I just bought some spiral dot tips for the 2000J.  I'll try them with my 1000 and 2000 too.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #620 of 2,123

Sounds pretty darn good for the money. More aggressive/cooler than K3K is pretty meh tho. Methinks SGS will be reselling lol. Glad I didn't hop on. 

I'm guessing SGS is a member here? I actually got them to make an except in refunding my pre-order, so that's that. They already charged the full amount, but made an exception and refunded me. I think maybe because the specs that were originally on the page were off. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #621 of 2,123
  I'm guessing SGS is a member here? I actually got them to make an except in refunding my pre-order, so that's that. They already charged the full amount, but made an exception and refunded me. I think maybe because the specs that were originally on the page were off. If someone here can get in on my spot, let them know A. Muse sent you since they did me a solid.

SGS is Shotgunshane. I dunno, it's early yet, but James' impressions seem to align with Tom's in that these aren't exactly meant for high(er) volume listening. I don't listen loudly or anything, but I almost certainly listen louder than either of them, and detailed yet non fatiguing sound is a must for me, and that often necessitates neutral tuning and detail that isn't coerced through the use of strategic treble spikes. James has yet to try comply tips, but comply has never been my style. Can't stand that weird expanding sensation that they exert in my ears. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #622 of 2,123

SGS is Shotgunshane. I dunno, it's early yet, but James' impressions seem to align with Tom's in that these aren't exactly meant for high(er) volume listening. I don't listen loudly or anything, but I almost certainly listen louder than either of them, and detailed yet non fatiguing sound is a must for me, and that often necessitates neutral tuning and detail that isn't coerced through the use of strategic treble spikes. James has yet to try comply tips, but comply has never been my style. Can't stand that weird expanding sensation that they exert in my ears. 

Gotcha. It's a must for me too. Eh, and I was told they can switch people's places. Oh well.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #623 of 2,123
IDK if this is weird or not, but I tend to find bass more fatiguing than treble brightness- if I boost the bass on these 2000J or the ex1000 it tires me out much quicker than flat listening @ same or lower volumes- from that perspective I don't find these particularly fatiguing. Maybe because I tend to listen at lower volume overall.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #624 of 2,123
It's not weird at all. That's part of the reason why U/V shaped phones tend to wear out our ears quicker than flatter sigs. Mid/sub bass boosts, I can only take in measured doses. I'm actually fairly tolerant of brighter sigs, but the tonal characteristics of peaky treble do annoy me post Stax/UERM/Angie. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #625 of 2,123

Well, I'm back from my vacation, and coincidentally the 2000J from Penon Audio arrived at my doorstep.

Haven't had much time to try them, maybe an hour or so. Spent half of that A/Bing to the K3003 (both with silicone tips), so these are just very early impressions:

1. Design / housing is very similar to the K3003, and I can fit both comfortably without problems.
  2. Nozzles are similar and tips are interchangeable. I prefer the slightly more bulbous K3003 tips on both IEMs.
  3. DN2000J have a tad less mid/upper bass, which results in a cooler midrange.
  4. DN2000J have a tad more upper mids / highs, which sound slightly less refined and somewhat harsh in comparison to the K3003's.
  5. Due to slghtly less bass and more highs, the DN2000J's overall balance is slghtly tipped towards brightness in comparison.
  6. The DN2000J sound clearer and more agressively analytical, but also thinner and more fatiguing.
  7. The slightly warmer and smoother tuning makes the K3003 noticeably easier to listen to for me (particularly with classical music).
  8. Initial listening has been done at low to medium volume with mostly jazz, classical and acoustic stuff.

tbc...

Only managed a brief comparison to the Havi but I concur with your observations. Highs are very detailed but also abit harsher than I'm used to. The tunings rings had quite a marked effect for me. Have you tried them?

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #626 of 2,123
I think they are definitely made for Comply tips --- they have a clear effect on the sharpness of the peaks, making them a lot more listenable, and allow for the treble extension not to be masked by the last treble peak (which is also, in my estimation, the root cause for the perception of "harshness" in the treble, as it makes cymbal clashes and other similar sounds a bit splashy); while the Tx tips do the best job of smoothing out the treble, I find that it starts to encroach on transparency, so I still recommend the Ts-500, as it's more comfortable, mostly maintains the overall signature, and still manages those peaks.

I've managed to get used to them with silicone tips but as I mentioned, I tend to listen at low volumes. The effect of tips will have different effects on different people; I've managed to find that dual flange wide-mouthed tips do a good job taming treble for me, but it might not work on others. I don't like using the spacer rings, but they absolutely do have an effect on where the quarter-wave resonances crop up in the treble; this effect is clearly shown in AKG's studies regarding front volume differences. Keep in mind that this "predictable" effect within an ear simulator doesn't necessarily coincide with real world perception, as ear canal shape, curvature figure into differences, as well as a person's own perceptual inclinations to sibilance and harshness.

Also wondering if James has tried the effect of K3003 tips on the 2000J; even though the two types of tips are similar, when the K3003's tips affixed to the 2000J, they do make the treble a little more gentle and less harsh by just a tad to my ears --- more like the K3003 in nature. The added brightness ends up coming from the psychoacoustic effect of a tighter mid-bass response, mostly. From the beginning, I've been a little baffled by their choice of silicone tips; perhaps it's that these tips help bring out midrange detail a little better, but they do tend to make the treble quite a bit less palatable.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #628 of 2,123
I agree a lot with what Tom is saying.  I use Sony Isolation tips, and while they are silicone outer, the foam inner really helps me with a complete seal.  I also listen at a lot lower volume than a lot of people on these boards.  For this - the 2000J is perfect.  Maybe those who normally listen louder are finding things a bit too much.  I love them.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #629 of 2,123
  I think they are definitely made for Comply tips --- they have a clear effect on the sharpness of the peaks, making them a lot more listenable, and allow for the treble extension not to be masked by the last treble peak (which is also, in my estimation, the root cause for the perception of "harshness" in the treble, as it makes cymbal clashes and other similar sounds a bit splashy); while the Tx tips do the best job of smoothing out the treble, I find that it starts to encroach on transparency, so I still recommend the Ts-500, as it's more comfortable, mostly maintains the overall signature, and still manages those peaks.

I've managed to get used to them with silicone tips but as I mentioned, I tend to listen at low volumes. The effect of tips will have different effects on different people; I've managed to find that dual flange wide-mouthed tips do a good job taming treble for me, but it might not work on others. I don't like using the spacer rings, but they absolutely do have an effect on where the quarter-wave resonances crop up in the treble; this effect is clearly shown in AKG's studies regarding front volume differences. Keep in mind that this "predictable" effect within an ear simulator doesn't necessarily coincide with real world perception, as ear canal shape, curvature figure into differences, as well as a person's own perceptual inclinations to sibilance and harshness.

Also wondering if James has tried the effect of K3003 tips on the 2000J; even though the two types of tips are similar, when the K3003's tips affixed to the 2000J, they do make the treble a little more gentle and less harsh by just a tad to my ears --- more like the K3003 in nature. The added brightness ends up coming from the psychoacoustic effect of a tighter mid-bass response, mostly. From the beginning, I've been a little baffled by their choice of silicone tips; perhaps it's that these tips help bring out midrange detail a little better, but they do tend to make the treble quite a bit less palatable.

Okay, I have to be completely honest here...I am a total n00b with comply tips.
redface.gif
  Normally with foam earplugs, I squeeze the Schiit out of them and let them expand in my ear.  I've tried that a few times with the comply foam tips and never get a satisfying fit.  Is there a trick to inserting them that I am missing?

I agree a lot with what Tom is saying.  I use Sony Isolation tips, and while they are silicone outer, the foam inner really helps me with a complete seal.  I also listen at a lot lower volume than a lot of people on these boards.  For this - the 2000J is perfect.  Maybe those who normally listen louder are finding things a bit too much.  I love them.

Is there a source for the Sony isolation tips or can I get them through the Big Internet Store that shall not be named?
Seriously...Thanks for any advice you guys can offer!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Are these what you are talking about, Brooko?  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA
       Or these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OT3O5A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AO3G8O6K63K1Q  (Ordered a set)

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #630 of 2,123
Yep - that's the isolation tips. You have to really stretch them to get them on - it's not easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back