DUNU 4 Driver, 5 Driver new Hybrid earphone presentation on 2015 the 22nd Beijing International Hi-Fi Exhibition
Jun 3, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #496 of 692
  DUNU attended P.A.S 2016 (Portable Audio Show) at Vietnam together with SpinFit, we'd like to collect more feedback of DK-3001 and DK-4001 from more people from different countries before they launched.
regular_smile .gif

CanJam London on August 13-14 would be an excellent opportunity for DUNU to collect European customer feedback...
wink_face.gif

Is there any chance DUNU will attend this exhibition ?

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #497 of 692

CanJam London on August 13-14 would be an excellent opportunity for DUNU to collect European customer feedback...
wink_face.gif

Is there any chance DUNU will attend this exhibition ?

DUNU won't go to CanJam London this time since our new model would be finished later after that, however, audiophiles in UK may present the event with our products, most probably include DK-3001 and DK-4001.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #498 of 692
A little update to my review - and also a big shout out to Vivian and her engineers for sending me replacements.  They didn't need to, I didn't ask for them - and it just goes to show how much DUNU want to make sure things are right.

My original review can be found here - http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2002/reviews/16064 (I will be updating it as soon as I can). Usual disclaimers apply:

1. Check review for summary of my know bias
  2. The review samples were provided by DUNU with no obligations attached (given freely).  I still regard them as DUNU's property though.
  3. The graphs  are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. They aren’t calibrated to IEC measurement standards, but the raw data I’m getting has been very consistent, and is actually not too far away from the raw data measured by other systems except for above 4-5 kHz where it shows significantly lower than measurements performed on a properly calibrated rig. So when reading the graphs, don’t take them as gospel – or at least remember that the area above 4-5 kHz will likely be significantly higher than m,y measurements.
  4. The graphs are provided merely as a point of discussion, and are useful as a comparison to other IEMs that I've measured on the same equipment.
  5. DUNU kindly sent me a copy of their own graph - which I think shows the similarities between the results we're getting.  Theirs shows a channel measured with and without a full seal. Not sure if it was left and right, or both measurements of one only

Anyway - last week I received the replacement pair of DN-2002, along with an upgrade cable DUNU are considering.  The issue with my first pair of 2002 (the ones I reviewed) was some channel imbalance in the bass. It was pretty much unnoticeable with music playing, and didn't detract from my enjoyment of the 2002.

The replacement pair is graphed below.  There is still some imbalance, again only with the bass.  When I took the measurements I used the exact same tip for both channels (foam tip which gives a great seal).  I also took 4 measurements of 5 iterations, so 20 in all, and took the closest matching average measurements to build the graphs. The seal is definitely a good one. Any channel imbalance is unnoticeable again, and these sound every bit as good as the first ones.

New DN-2002 channel measurement
1st pair vs 2nd pair

Main difference is that the channel matching is a lot closer, and this pair have a higher peak at 9kHz.  They still sound really good, and would be my favourite DUNU release to date (sonic signature).

Here is DUNU's graph for comparison:

But this time Vivian included something a little special that they've been working on.  An upgraded copper aftermarket cable.  Its two twisted pairs (4 separate wires which are twisted to a quad below the Y-split. This means converting to balanced is as simple as changing the jack. The cable is really supple, looks really good, reasonably low microphonics (over ear) - there are some, but it isn't bad. The connectors are a lot skinnier, and actually fit snugly inside the existing connectors. Not sure if they intend changing to something a little more suited to the socket dimensions, but I actually like these the way they are. The jack is right angled, quite heavy duty, and looks really amazing. Only one small nit-pick is that it's not friendly with my iPhone case - but it's only a small critique as it fits everything else fine.

The best thing about the cable is that it fits over-ear brilliantly - tends to stay there rather than occasionally unlooping. It is probably the small bit of extra weight and the suppleness.  So looks good, fits well - how does it sound?  Exactly the same as the other cables actually (c'mon you knew I was going to say that 
wink.gif
). But to make sure - I measured.  There was a volume difference of around 0.5 dB - but as you can see (after vol matching), the freq response is pretty much identical:

So is the cable upgrade worth it? - hard to tell as I have no idea of whether its being offered as an extra or included for future accessory packs.  I really like it though, and if it was reasonably priced I'd probably get one for the aesthetics and improved fit.

Pics below:
The replacement 2002s with the new cable
Connectors and jack - 4 separate conductors

The jack is heavy duty -  love it
New skinny connector vs standard

New connector in place
The fit is actually really good and they seem to be very secure

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #499 of 692

ㄴ Diffuse Field Target Compensated
Black: DN-2002 / Orange: DN-2000J

http://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/06/dunu-dn-2002-iem.html

Here is the measurement results of DN-2002!
Sadly, first one was defective unit so I measured other pairs as well.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #500 of 692
I was able to audition the DN2002 for a while and thought I'd share some thoughts:

The measurements above are interesting. While I no longer own the 2000J and the bass quantity measures very similar, I'm finding the 2002 to be bassier than my memory of the J. Perhaps the J's elevated treble gave me the perception of less bass and/or the 2002 has slower decay and lingers longer for a perception of more bass. While the 2002 has plenty of sub bass rumble, it is tilted towards mid bass but it's not a problem in that it still has good timbre and texture. It just isn't OMG AMAZEBALLS like the J was. So far I'm not convinced that dual dynamics can do anything necessarily better than a high quality, well made single dynamic like the J or a Sony EX1000/7550. 

Finally some Dunu treble I can fully support! Very nice sparkle, timbre and extension without being too bright. Treble is fully engaging and is neither too bright nor too dark. Definitely a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I really enjoy the 2002 treble presentation. 

The 2002 sounds a little too V shaped for my personal preference, especially when comparing directly to flatter FR iems but is definitely the best overall Dunu production tuning to date. While the midrange is sounding fuller and meatier than my memory of the J, it still sound distant at times. Now if they could just capture the J bass with the 2002 treble...

I think the housing shape is completely and utterly 2 steps backwards from the J housing shape. The 2002 is much bulkier and more difficult to fit in smaller ears, plus I have wide and straight canals, so when I try and push it deeper for better seal and fit, the housing rubs my ears and is distractingly uncomfortable. All in all a very solid offering and proof that Dunu is continuing to evolve their SQ for the better. Now if they could just do something about improving the housing shapes...

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #501 of 692
  I was able to audition the DN2002 for a while and thought I'd share some thoughts:

The measurements above are interesting. While I no longer own the 2000J and the bass quantity measures very similar, I'm finding the 2002 to be bassier than my memory of the J

-> 
  [...], let's look at the measured frequency response with the white silicone tips (as usual, they were made with my Vibro Veritas and pseudo-calibrated for diffuse-field compensated measurements with a real IEC711 coupler but still have some issues around 3 and 6 kHz where one should add around 5 and around 10 dB at the latter to make them more plausible with any measured in-ear). What I tried to do is to simulate how the DN-2002 sounds in different ears where the vents might be covered differently. So in one's ears, the DN-2002 will have more low end quantity than the dark yellow line but less than the bright yellow line. In my ears, the DN-2002 is bassier than the DN-2000J.

Perhaps the J's elevated treble gave me the perception of less bass [...].

->

[...] nonetheless it sounds not just a little bassier than the DN-2000J (ca. 5 dB more bass than the ER-4S) – why? Simply because the DN-2002 has a bit more upper bass and lower root than the DN-2000J, which is already responsible for most of the perception of bass heft and impact. Then of course, the DN-2002 is not as lean in the midrange and has less middle plus lower treble quantity that compensated for the DN-2000J’s modest bass elevation. I’ve double- and triple-checked it with an equalizer – the DN-2002 doesn’t have that much more bass quantity but does not sound just a little bassier (lowering the DN-2000J’s treble and upper mids by about 4 dB, it becomes obvious that it sounds subjectively not just a little less bassy because of the treble that compensates for the lows – and increasing DN-2002’s treble, it is suddenly perceived as less bassy as before).

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #505 of 692
Well ordered a pair of 2002's from Amazon. Should get here tomorrow or Thursday. Was a big fan of the 2000J's let's see what the mailman brings

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #506 of 692
  Well ordered a pair of 2002's from Amazon. Should get here tomorrow or Thursday. Was a big fan of the 2000J's let's see what the mailman brings

These arrived this morning. Doing some A/B testing vs the FLC8S running red-grey-gold filters. So far the FLC8S have more bass but the 2002's have a better clarity to them.

Also lucky in that the 2002's fit fine in my ear when wearing them over ear. I guess my ears are just big enough :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #507 of 692
  These arrived this morning. Doing some A/B testing vs the FLC8S running red-grey-gold filters. So far the FLC8S have more bass but the 2002's have a better clarity to them.

Also lucky in that the 2002's fit fine in my ear when wearing them over ear. I guess my ears are just big enough :)

How are you liking them overall, and what source are you using with them?

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #508 of 692
  How are you liking them overall, and what source are you using with them?

These are a nice pair of IEM's. Listening to them mostly through a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC and a Burson Soloist SL amp on the low output. A little bit through my phone the Nexus 6P. The issue is they cut in and out on the Nexus 6P so I am getting a replacement pair or cable from the seller.

Very natural sounding IEM's with a lot of clarity. Wishing they had a little more sub-bass impact. If I remember correctly the 2000J's have a little more sub-bass presence which I loved. These have more of a mid-bass presence vs sub-bass. I think Dunu was going for more of a balanced tuning on these puppies.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #509 of 692
  DUNU won't go to CanJam London this time since our new model would be finished later after that, however, audiophiles in UK may present the event with our products, most probably include DK-3001 and DK-4001.

I've had the 2002 for a week now and it's my new favourite earphone , definitely an upgrade from my previous favourite  the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 and much easier to drive . Hopefully I'll bump into somebody at the canjam in London on august 13th with the DK-3001 and/or the DK-4001 to compare with the 2002.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #510 of 692
  I've had the 2002 for a week now and it's my new favourite earphone , definitely an upgrade from my previous favourite  the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 and much easier to drive . Hopefully I'll bump into somebody at the canjam in London on august 13th with the DK-3001 and/or the DK-4001 to compare with the 2002.

Nice to know your feeling about 2002 and good luck to you on Canjam London 
beerchug.gif

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back