Dumpling appreciation thread
Dec 28, 2006 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
Go get some frozen dumplings, drop them into boiling water for 10 minutes, then dip them into dumpling sauce, yumm.....
icon10.gif

Dumpling-Fi, anyone?

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 51
i was until jahn took me to some nyc dive in chinatown and introduced me to the water balloon dumpling. it has broth contained inside and bursts in your mouth like a water balloon....too bad it tasted like the inside of my cowboy boot at the end of summer....
plainface.gif

but my fav right now is shrimp shumai...and deep fried korean dumplings..man too good......so tasty..damn i am hungry and i just had dinner

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 51
What exactly are we talking here: Chicken and Dumplings, like described on every box of Bisquick. If so, lay some skin on me.

I'm not married, but I prophetize a war with the future Mrs. Samgotit over our wedding reception spread. I'm not paying some caterer with a fancy, quilted, stainless steal wagon to provide food that I can trump with the aid of the recipes on the side of a Bisquick box. Petifores - what for? Who needs them? All they do is provide a place at the buffet where the elderly huddle. I don't want that kind of clutter at my reception. They'll stand and gawk at the Petifores, backing up an others wise good buffet pace.

To round out the menu I'll have the proper number of Moons Over My Hammy®, per guest, cut up into fourths. Genius isn't it? You may know it as the perfect breakfast sandwich from Denny's, but cut it up into four equal pieces and you've got a finger sandwich extraordinaire. Now get this Binks: you're invited!

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 51
The perfect dumpling is a very sexy thing. It's sweet, succulant, juicy and very personal.

The best dumpling that I ever had was in the form of an Italian ravioli at Babbo restaurant in New York. This is owned by celebrity chef Mario Batali.
It was a ravioli stuffed with calf's brain and sauteed in butter and sage. Very delicate in flavor but simply incredible. It does sound strange but the idea of using brains to stuff ravioli is actually an old Italian practice in some villages. Outstanding.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not married, but I prophetize a war with the future Mrs. Samgotit over our wedding reception spread. I'm not paying some caterer with a fancy, quilted, stainless steal wagon to provide food that I can trump with the aid of the recipes on the side of a Bisquick box.

Just do what the wife and I did: "You are invited to so and so's wedding. Reception to be held at blah-blah-blah. Bring A Dish."

70 relatives & friends bringing a bizarre cornocopia of dishes, and about 10 cases of champagne to wash evberything down. Nobody went hungry, nobody had to pay $15/steak, and guests got to feel more involved. Plus after your first bottle of bubbly, you could be eating raw cats and wouldn't notice.

"What'd you serve at the reception?"
"Oh, you know, the usual: Meatball subs, chicken wings, cake, mushroom-stuffed-mushrooms, 3 bean salad, artichoke dip, lil' hotdogs, crab cakes, gellatin desserts, spanish rice, etc etc etc"

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 51
I don't like boiled dumplings. Then again, that might be because my family doesn't know how to boil them without breaking the skins.

On the other hand the kind which are... um... cooked in a skillet (I can't remember the Chinese term and I'm not sure if there's an English word for it) are nice.

I think ravioli is better than both though
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 51
my sister took me to a place in pasadena
din ti fung or something like that

they were the best dumplings i ever had. but the ones i get at the korean market are pretty good for a quick meal

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 51
OK, the exception is Ding Taifeng. If I remember correctly that's the place with the broth inside the dumplings and it is absolutely fantastic. Too bad there arent any of them around here
frown.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 51
The place in Pasadena is probably called Din Tai Fong http://www.dintaifung.com.tw/ specializing in "Little Dragon Dumplings" which are steamed. Supposedly soup is frozen into little cubes and wrapped inside the dumpling with other ingredients by hand.

The pan-fried dumplings are called Gwo Tie, or Pot Stickers. Japanese-style are called Gyoza.

A rule of thumb for cooking frozen dumplings is to let the water boil three times. Once getting it to boil, second after putting in the dumplings. Then put in a cup of cold water and let it boil a third time. This should ensure the dumplings are fully cooked. The skins shouldn't break much if you stir them gently once in a while. Don't let them stick together or to the sides of the pot.

Many types of condiments are available. The most basic is just soy sauce. You can add sesame sauce, vinegar, chili sauce etc. in various combinations.

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 51
Haha...for some reason, I read the header without the "L" in the word "Dumpling" and I was shocked
biggrin.gif
Holidays can make me little dyslectic. Yeah....I love dumplings too...one of the perfect (fast) food, IMO.

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha...for some reason, I read the header without the "L" in the word "Dumpling" and I was shocked
biggrin.gif
Holidays can make me little dyslectic. Yeah....I love dumplings too...one of the perfect (fast) food, IMO.

That would have been an interesting thread.

I'm with the chicken and dumplings wedding guy except I would just make the dough from scratch. You have to use quality baking powder to get those kind of dumplings just right.

I don't really like any of the Asian variety of dumplings. Raviolis are the bomb though. I like spinach raviolis the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back