DT 880 PRO recommended for someone who loved the DT 990 PRO ?
Sep 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Thommohawk

100+ Head-Fier
Simple enough, would you say that the DT 880 PRO would be a good recommendation as someone who loved the DT 990 PRO ? 

I've heard people say it sounds same but less bass, but I've also heard people say it sounds quite a bit different after all it is a different headphone entirely. 

Also to anyone that happens to have both the DT 880 Pro as well as the DT 990 Pro - what is the difference between the two in terms of detail and also just how much less bass is there by comparison and is the bass virtually non-existent or is it more a case of it's there perfectly audible but nowhere near as much boom and impact....

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 24
Sound: It uses the exact same driver as every dt 770/880/990, but it has a smaller soundsage, less bass, less 6k treble spike, and more pronounced but slightly less resolving midrange.

Isolation: It isolates just a very wee bit more than dt990s, or not much at all.

Build Quality: It will feel more solid in the hand than the dt990 pros(mostly because of the metal cups on dt880)

Verdict: I would definitely recommend it over the hd600 as a flat headphone. It is definitely a great q701 replacement with more subbass, less midbass, and less laid back presentation.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 24
Is it true that the dt 770s/880s/990s all have the exact same drivers?

I knew that, for example, the dt 990 pro and dt 990 premium versions had the same drivers, but those are both 990s in different trim levels

all of the dts are the same headphone with different ear cups??

I just paid $100 more for the dt880s than I could have paid for the 770s so I'd like to know if this is true... It doesn't seem like a metal grill with some holds poked into it should be worth $100 extra

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 24
It's sad but true, but rather than looking at it as holes poked into a metal cup, i would say that Beyer 880s are miles better than dt770s and if you really want something like a dt770 then a healthy dose of AKG k272 is what you need

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 24
Hmmm.. How is it that the 990s are supposed to have much more bass than the 880s if they use identical drivers and are both very similar open-back designs?

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 24
I think it has something to do with the enclosure, but im not sure. Either the more closed in design is preventing the use of the cups as bass ports or the other way around for the dt990. Also the DT990 isnt like beats studio/grado sr-80 in bass comparison, its more like comparing the K701 and the Q701 in bass. Just a bit more (2db or 3db) more midbass, but still incredibly deep based on their own merit.
P.S  All the beyer DT770/880/990s costed the same at one point in time.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 24
I just ordered DT 990s, so I will compare them when they both get here on Tuesday and keep the one I prefer.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Hmmm.. How is it that the 990s are supposed to have much more bass than the 880s if they use identical drivers and are both very similar open-back designs?

It is not only the drivers that determine how a headphone sounds, and depending on how you define "driver", it may not even be the same; check this thread, for example, for some comparisons with pictures. The 880 has more damping that "flattens" the bass response, and also a felt disk in front of the driver to roll off the treble somewhat.

In addition to differences in the enclosures, damping, bass ports (if any), etc., the ear pads are also an important factor. The DT770 has more isolating ones that increase the bass, but may also in part be responsible for the recessed upper mids.

Quote:
I'd go for the DT770s. The DT990s were quite too bright for me.

The DT770 is also bright, only the 880 has treble filtering. Although the 80 Ω drivers (if that is the version you have) are said to have more rolled off treble, and the increased amount of bass and the dip in the upper midrange may give the impression of an overall darker sound.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 24
The thing for me is despite finding the 990s more attractive, I ordered the 880s being under the impression that they were in their own league.

I know subtle acoustic modifications -- the shape of the housings, the addition of damping foam, etc -- can have as much effect as the drivers themselves, but I'm not sure it's worth paying almost $100 more for less attractive headphones. We will see.

The DT 990s are now in the mail with the DT 880s. Both are in PRO 250 ohms trim. I'll share my verdict...

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 24
Not sure how I "jacked your thread" by  discussing the differences between DT 880s vs DT 990s in a thread asking about the differences between DT 880s vs DT 990s?...

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 24
You came in asking your own set of questions for yourself and having your own conversations - if that doesn't constitute a thread jack then I don't know what does. Whatever it is it's plain disrespectful hence why I politely asked you not to do it in future.

If you want to ask questions of your own and discuss things in a convenient thread that's not of your own making well then do it but at least have the decency to be aware of what you're actually doing and that it's not your thread.

It wouldn't have been an issue if you had simply said 'apologies for jacking the thread' and then proceeded to ask your own set of questions and what have you but instead you treat it as your own thread and then try to deny any wrong doing when I rightly point out that you're ignorantly thread jacking someone.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 24
Hey,

Even though he came is asking his own questions, I think they are valid and contribute to the thread. You wanted to know if the DT880 would be fine for someone who likes the DT990, he asked what the differences were. I think they are valid as the answers outline the sonic differences of the two and also give you an idea if the sound is to your liking, no? I don't think the thread was jacked at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back