Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #722 of 854
I'd like for 4-pin balanced connectors to be an option for the Torpedo II. It would make it easier for those of us who are already rolling with balanced amps. And since the output is going to be transformer coupled (I presume) it should be a cinch. 

On the same note, will this amp sport balanced XLR inputs? I'm guessing input transformers aren't viable unless the price point shoots way up.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #723 of 854
For now, the plan is to keep the same case and transformers (and thus the same jacks and switches), and to work within those constraints. To do differently will run up the cost considerably which we would need to recoup in the price.

As for output 4-pins, even if we used them, we would need to ground the two negative pins for safety reasons. The benefits of a differential amp are in the circuit, not in the cable to the headphones.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #724 of 854
Meanwhile, Torpedo I's are back in stock!
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #725 of 854
  I'd like for 4-pin balanced connectors to be an option for the Torpedo II. It would make it easier for those of us who are already rolling with balanced amps. And since the output is going to be transformer coupled (I presume) it should be a cinch. 

On the same note, will this amp sport balanced XLR inputs? I'm guessing input transformers aren't viable unless the price point shoots way up.

Dsavitsk answered this, but I thought I'd quote you so I could thank you for displaying the Torpedo at Can Jam SoCal!

On Tyll's InnerFidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-socal-2015-member-table-ojneg-and-bill-p

biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #728 of 854
Excellent!

So I'm guessing that current Torpedo owners will be able to move over to this new amp and save a lot on the transformer cost....unless there's a reason we would want both amps
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #729 of 854
Ooh.  I hate the idea of butchering one amp to build another.  Better to sell one if you decide you don't want it.  The current Torpedo is still better than any other tube-transformer-coupled amp at it's price point. 
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #730 of 854
Yes indeed. Don't ever part out an amp unless it's helplessly broken. I think it's been made clear that the new Torpedo won't necessarily be an upgrade, but rather a different option with a different topology that utilizes a similar footprint to that of the current Torpedo. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #731 of 854
  Yes indeed. Don't ever part out an amp unless it's helplessly broken. I think it's been made clear that the new Torpedo won't necessarily be an upgrade, but rather a different option with a different topology that utilizes a similar footprint to that of the current Torpedo. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

We're still trying to figure out if the different topology is an upgrade or not. 
wink.gif
  It looks like the Torpedo II is simply not as much an improvement as we thought compared to the Torpedo I, especially with the E90CC's.  It simply doesn't make sense to expend the effort and investment when it might be an either-or choice.

The Torpedo III has the potential to be quite a bit better, but we're in the middle of working out the preliminary prototyping process.  I've been listening to the first one extensively for the last several weeks/months and am mightily impressed, but there are a couple of issues we're trying to lick with it.  Right now, I'm listening to it with 5963's and the response and performance is fantastic.  However, the design goal is to be able to use an entire range of different gain tubes such as 12AT7, 12AU7, etc., but the response suffers a tiny bit on the high end with those other tubes (meaning not as extended as Torpedo I).  Dsavitsk has built the 2nd prototype based on this finding (from the one I've been listening to), but he's found out enough that a 3rd PCB is in the works.  That's essentially where we are right now.

There are also some transformer combinations that may elevate it to near-summit quality, but that option may not be possible in the current casework.  I'm hoping that we have an option for a noticeable improvement over the Torpedo I with the existing transformers and the existing case (but it will mean a price increase) and then an all-out summit-fi option with much higher quality transformers and caps.

Dsavitsk may sell the summit-fi option directly from ECP Audio with that option, but we're not really certain, yet - or whether we can get the current bugs out.  This is similar to what we've already done, because the Torpedo I can be thought of as a lower-grade version of the ECP Audio L-2.

Dsavitsk can hopefully correct me if I've stated anything wrong, but I thought it might be useful to further elaborate on what's going on.  Meanwhile, the Torpedo I is still available and will remain so for the foreseeable future. (not so with the MiniMAX, I'm afraid)

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #733 of 854
Not much more to add other than we are working on it and the new circuit seems promising. The II was a 6922 based Beta follower. The circuit is OK, but as Tom said, it wasn't special enough to pursue further, and it would eat rare/expensive 6DJ8s for breakfast.

I think we both like the III better. We are trying to work out the last remaining kinks, and if it is an easy fix, we'll be ready sooner than later (weeks), and if it is not, then it will take a little longer (a month or two) and cost a little more :frowning2:

May 17, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #735 of 854
TORPEDO III is coming!!

This is a prototype that I finished this weekend.  I'll let Dsavitsk explain the details.  In my layman's understanding, he's using a differential (balanced) circuit within the amp to cancel all of the common mode distortion and noise, then combining the result using the OPT's (OutPut Transformers).  The result is very similar to his ECP Audio DSHA-1, except that a tube is providing the gain stage.  Yes, this means the Torpedo III is a tube hybrid, but unlike any tube hybrid heretofore available.  Sound is remarkably detailed from deep bass to extended highs and at the same time, no harshness, no tizziness, even with the most complicated of passages.

The tube basis is the ubiquitous and high-quality 12AU7.  However, unlike most amps based on the 12AU7, the Torpedo III can take a wide range of gains.  This means you can use the 12AY7, the 12AU7 and all its numerous variants, and even the 12AX7.  Versatility extraordinaire!

Beyond that, the Torpedo III uses the same planform as the Torpedo I.  That means the same case, the same hardware, and the same Edcor transformers (but with a future upgrade to Cinemag output transformers).  You could even build a PCB-only and then replace it within an existing Torpedo I case.  I guess I'll have to start selling transformers to make that possible, but that's OK.  Edcor and I will have a little discussion, soon.
wink.gif

So far, I've used the Grado HF-2, AKG K712, KSC-75's, and the Sennheiser HD580 (just for the heck of it).  The Torpedo III handled all of them with ease and with a sound quality like I've never heard before, long-term. Yes, I've heard some very expensive stuff before, but that was only a headphone meet's quick impression - not something I could live with and call my own.  The source I've used is the PupDAC with the DoodleBug, perfectly adequate for great detail and low-noise.  I haven't made measurements yet, but compared to the Torpedo I (already quite good and free of audible hum), the background is very black, with absolutely no noise whatsoever.

Construction is a bit tight in spots, but nothing anyone who's built a Torpedo I can't handle.  You will note the large number of box film caps.  Dsavitsk recommended them - Epcos - from Mouser, so I tried them.  I see no reason to use anything else, but the pads are quite flexible for some very expensive alternatives, for those that are interested.  You may also notice four heat sinks instead of the three on the Torpedo I.  There are several other differences, but all in all, very similar to the Torpedo I - same transformers, same Alps volume pot, headphone jack, Z-switch, IEC inlet, etc.  Just a couple of 9-pin tube sockets and some very special stuff in-between.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back