Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #46 of 597
Quote:
Joe, if you had to compare the aud5x to another hp, be it iem or full sized, which would you compare it to?

There is nothing that really presents music in the same way.  There are other headphones/IEMs that share some of the traits, but at the moment I can't think of much that is similar across the spectrum in frequency response.  In presentation, they are somewhat close to the SA-43 or SE 5-way as they are closer to neutral in they way the notes decay, not too analytical and not too thick and warm.  They may be a slightly thicker LS8 or a SM3 with better treble balance and more forward projection, etc.  

Quote:
just placed my order for these solely based on Joes review since... well, no one else has ever heard these or any other from dream earz (most likely).  crossing my fingers that i get wwhat joe got and wrote the review on! kinda scary that there are so many unknowns with this company.  one known is that Mitch is pretty cool. 

one thing i was unhappy with is that i requested his logo DE plus " aud-5x " on the face plate but i would have to pay the 50$ custom art work fee for the aud5x on there.  given that its the product name, i feel it should have been free and i hope he takes it into consideration where all logos, etc will be free. especially with his logo  being rather plain. 

heres to hoping. cheers.

Mitch is a great guy and I am sure he will work with you to ensure you are happy.  From what I know, I would trust that they will turn out like mine, and while anything can happen, I can't see someone not appreciating them for the price.  Please let us know what happens with the $50 for the aud-5X on the face plate.

Quote:
I got to meet mitch at a show he is a very cool guy I'd highly recommend drmearz solely based on meeting him and average_joe's review, I believe his custom's will not disappoint I'm going to order my pair soon hopefully by sunday.

Very cool you had a chance to meet Mitch, I am sure he eased your mind about working with him.  He has done nothing but work with me and always had a great attitude!  I am looking forward to additional impressions of the aud-5X.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #47 of 597
i actually took off the "custom artwork" aud5x and just went with the DE on a custom face plate.  its not going to be anything special.  i like how the UE custom looked and found something on 1964ears that i liked and am going with that.  hope it turns out how i want. either way, im all in since this was out of my original budget but i think it will be worth it.  i just hope my tinnitus doesnt become too much of a distraction. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #48 of 597

Quote:
i actually took off the "custom artwork" aud5x and just went with the DE on a custom face plate.  its not going to be anything special.  i like how the UE custom looked and found something on 1964ears that i liked and am going with that.  hope it turns out how i want. either way, im all in since this was out of my original budget but i think it will be worth it.  i just hope my tinnitus doesnt become too much of a distraction.

eek.gif
 I hope not also!

And I hope the artwork turns out great.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #49 of 597
i just noticed something............ ugh 

i guess i should be as open as possible to the community.

the lab doing the aud5x is exactly the same address as where i shipped my impressions to for my Fisher/Inearz remold.  i thought it looked familiar when i shipped my impressions for the aud5x. 

so really, im not sure how much dreamearz and mitch have to do with their product... is it just they send orders there and its built to whatever he specifies?  a little disheartening.  i hope the sound is still adjusted by mitch as a musician and performer but now im not too sure. maybe fisher does everything, he pays them after we pay him and has no real connection to the product itself. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #50 of 597
This is nothing too unusual.  Every custom IEM is manufactured in a lab, some companies own their lab while others use existing labs for the manufacture portion while development is done by the actual custom IEM company.  There are several other examples I can think of including Livewires, Fidelity, Alien Ears and I am sure many I haven't mentioned.  Also, ACS (everything non EU) and Variphone (Westone in EU) take a design and make it in a different lab than the original.

The good thing is you know the quality you will receive from Fisher, which is one of the larger labs in the US from what I understand.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #51 of 597
ic well thats good. what about the sound tweeking though? i mean having it built in a lab is fine, but is it mitch just says "use these drivers, this many drivers and send it" or is there is a tweeking process?

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #52 of 597
@caracara08 

I'm pretty sure average joe is right, Mitch is the back bone and just sends it to the lab to his specifics. As he can't do it himself since he is a musician.

Back on topic. I'm hoping to get my Aud-5x by the end of this week if not next Monday as Mitch apologized for a day or two delay on my rush order as he had a abundant amount of rush orders including mine. I can't get mad as it was only $30 compared to other companies and since Mitch has great customer service. Very excited, but my wallet is crying as I'm about to hit the $1k mark just for this month....(Aud-5x, HD650s, dac/amp)

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #54 of 597
Long story short, Mitch had a bunch of rush orders that included mine so it was sent out on the 10th day which is acceptable since a rush order is 7-10 days. Then when he did send out my customs on this past Monday with USPS, something went wrong and it was sent back to Mitch, but he resent them with 2 day UPS and it should arrive tomorrow. 

I can't complain with my rush order since it does say 7-10 days and it was only 30$ compared to 100$ with other companies. 

And just as a last note Mitch kept me updated on everything and every time he gave me his word on something it always came true. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #59 of 597
nice. google translate was a bit rough but good to see another person make the jump to a relatively unknown company and product.  too bad even when i do get it, i wont have any great CIEMs to compare them too.  its been a while since i had my jh16 so i dont think it would be fair to compare what i think i remember to whats in my ear when they come.  also i didnt pay for rush so he quoted me 3 weeks but said it could be sooner. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #60 of 597
It is hard to compare things from memory.  Wait, actually pretty much impossible unless you have a benchmark that is on the same level as what you no longer have.

Anyways, I am looking forward to your thoughts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back