Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Sep 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #586 of 597
  Received them at my workplace, I was using my UM Mage before I popped in the 8X, so I can only compare them with the Mage. The first impression of the 8X is... hm... rather complicated...

I'm no good at writing this kinda things so bare with me, my portable rig is Sansa Fuze>LOD>RSA Shadow.

First, the sound is much bigger on the Mage, 8X appears to sound like a much smaller speakers, despite a very detailed one.

The 8X's focus is definately on the mids, particularly upper mids. Mids are also forwarded as many have described, and also very fast. Vocals stands out alot in tracks, but because the upper mid focused, some times vocals appears overly bright and a bit thin.

Treble extension is very good and very energized, although a little grainy. I'd say its almost at the edge of being sibilant because on certrain tracks it almost starting to sound harsh to me.

Bass is as advertised, flat, and fast. Quantity is just right to compliment with the mids, goes quite low too, bass never smears to the mids, which is good.

Instrument seperation is ok, Mage definately still has the upper hand here.

For the shell finishing, it's pretty fine. Some tiny bubbles spotted. The monitors sit too much inside the ear, with the cable plugs actually pushing my ear. I prefer a flush or slightly extruding monitor for comfort and ease of wearing and removing. Unique Melody is a master here in terms of craftsmanship.

Maybe I should give abit more time to it before drawing conclusion, but for now, I still prefer my old UM Mage due to the way bigger sound, better seperation and more organic decay. The 8X has potential though, will put it to burn in and see if there's any sound changes, although I doubt it will improve much.

Looks like my CIEM search is still long way...

This is exactly what I felt when I first received my AUD-5X. I was kind of disappointed with my CIEM because it was sibilant and caused me headache. I have asked Mitch to retune my 5X but it came out that I received a 5X with the same tuning. Hopefully you will get your 8X retuned successfully 
frown.gif
 Good luck

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #587 of 597
Handsome little fellas! I wonder if the wooden face plates affect them at all sonically (?) I say this, as Gavin from Tralucent recommended carbon fibre over steel to me.

I hear the AUD-8X very similarly to Flysweep and Average_Joe, Jason. From our discussions we seem to appreciate the same traits, so hopefully you made the right choice!

The Twag V2 should be a good match. I definitely favour silver, or copper / silver hybrids, over the meagre copper stock. On that note, I recommend cable non-believers to go for either the white or black coloured stock, as the silver one oxidises in a much more visual manner i.e. turns green.

Yeah fingers crossed...will be interesting to compare them to my ASG-2 and see what the sound differences are.....isolation and fit apart.

It always amazes me how rubbish the UK post and customs are.....Mitch sent these express delivery from the USA and they took 4 days to get to the UK. UK Customs have only just released them to the Post Office so it will take 4 or 5 days to get them 300 or 400 miles. 

Oh well fingers crossed they will arrive tomorrow and I can get them into my ears....hoping that they fit well and there were no issues with the impressions I had done.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #588 of 597

Yeah fingers crossed...will be interesting to compare them to my ASG-2 and see what the sound differences are.....isolation and fit apart.

It always amazes me how rubbish the UK post and customs are.....Mitch sent these express delivery from the USA and they took 4 days to get to the UK. UK Customs have only just released them to the Post Office so it will take 4 or 5 days to get them 300 or 400 miles. 

Oh well fingers crossed they will arrive tomorrow and I can get them into my ears....hoping that they fit well and there were no issues with the impressions I had done.

Yeah, customs over here are ridiculously anal. I managed to skip them with my 8X which arrived, door to door, within 24 hours. Touch!

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #589 of 597
Yeah, customs over here are ridiculously anal. I managed to skip them with my 8X which arrived, door to door, within 24 hours. Touch!

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Well I just checked USPS website and it says cleared customs....notifying buyer of charges!!! What I've already paid import duty when I bought them avd now I have to pay when they are returned from reshelling??? Bloody Customs.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #590 of 597
Just heard from the Parcel company that I have to Pay £143.95 Import duty for my returned IEM's. This is a joke!!! 

So I have bought the IEM's and paid import duty when they arrived and now I have to pay again when they are sent back to me after reshelling!!!! 

So by my calculations I have paid more than what a new pair would have cost me direct from Dream Earz.

I am well hacked off!!!!

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #591 of 597
Well I have just collected my AUD-8x from the parcel Depot.....I've paid the import duty and now have to start the process of claiming this back from HMRC as Mitch clearly marked these as a Repair on the package which means (to my mind at least) that import duty should not have been charged!!!

Anyway.....Really impressed with these (my first custom IEM's).....Great workmanship and finish on them, they fit perfectly and dont know Im actually wearing them after about 5 minutes. Great Isolation (never had the volume on my AK120 so low). Initial impressions and the two areas that jump out at me immediately....Amazing Bass impact and fantastic mid range.

And here they are:

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #592 of 597
Mate... feeling for you re: the customs charge. Very cheeky of them! You'll def be able to claim it back, though, I'm sure.

Glad you got them safely... and those face plates go'a treat with the leather case. Nice!

Glad also that the things that immediately stand out, are bass and mids. To my ears, that's always been the meat of their sound. It's great that you got a perfect fir first time, too. I received my LS8+ today, and they fit perfect first time, as did my AUD-8X. Quality of ear molds / impression process is paramount I think.

Looking forward to your impressions after you've had some brain burn-in.     

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #593 of 597
Apologies if plugs aren't allowed, but for the potential 7X buyer, I have decided to let mine go because I need a pair of closed full-sized cans for desktop use.

Wonderful IEMs, but I just haven't been giving them the attention they deserve lately. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #596 of 597
anyone who has the v6 and the 5x, could you chime in on overall comparison in sound quality? It seems like 5x is slightly more bass-heavy, and v6 has slightly more clarity throughout?

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #597 of 597
Hi,

Thank you very much for this contribution! (Even if the publication dates back several years).

I'm really interested in the aud-5x. I'm new in the CIEM domain and I mostly listen electronic music like Moderat, Daft Punk but also classic music. Do you think I could have the bass and sub from these IEM or would it be too flat? Is it a good investment for my purpose? I found they're a really good value for money...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back