Dream Dream Rigs
Dec 1, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 38
Hmm, I just built up a new PC, and it's in a supposedly quiet case (Antec Sonata II) with all the drives isolated by rubber grommets, but the fans are still noisy...
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #17 of 38
I fondly remember when my uncle started to duelve into the hi-fi market in the middle 80's and came home one day with a McIntosh c-55 preamp, mc-2255 power amp, a mr-80 am/fm tuner all with beautiful walnut enclosures and a pair of McIntosh XR-7 iso-planar radiator system, along with a tandberg cassette and a Bang&Olufsen beogram 4004 turntable (which I currently own) I recall at the time the complete setup was a bit over $12k which was kind of absurd to most of us
blink.gif
His brother (who always competed with him with everything) also bought the exact system , but with 4 Dalquist speakers that were stacked (1 pair inverted on top of the other) I dont remember the model of the dalquist tho :/ I spent many hours sitting in front of those huge Mac speakers listening to great stuff like MFSL Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, on through stuff like Andreas Vollenweider Yanni and Kitaro. Was good times
icon10.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Within the realms of realism dream rig ;D - quad stacked (2x2) Quad ESL2905 electrostatics
LEO0425-12.jpg

with Quad subs behind
subl.jpg

and a Precide Kithara on each side.
kithara1.png

Each one of the 14 speakers (yes 7 per channel) running from a Quad 909 monoblock.
11.jpg

Stick a Quad 99 pre-amp in there between the 909s and my TOTALLY silent PC with Chord64 DAC, my Meridian CDP and 0o0o0o, lets have a Transrotor Artus for the vinyl.
TransRotor2.jpg

Not forgetting the AKAI 747 reel to reel.
c3_12.JPG

The maxed ES-1 for my Quad panelled jecklin float electrostatics and the infinately long room to eliminate the electrostatic backwave.

Id like a very comfortable chair and a butler to do the VPI thing with all my records for me too. Thanks. If I werent doing this essay at the last minute, I'd probably put all that together in photoshop to see how it looked...

Now THAT's a system I could get cozy with! I've had two sets of Quads, and would love to hear the new ones...

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 38
i'd ask for A-mei, the taiwanese singer on my avatar, to sing to me. her vocals is my dream rig! nothing else can sound more intimate!

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #21 of 38
Asr - other than that it looks pretty and makes the rig look nicer, why do you have the aristaeus there but no electrostatic headphone that you can use it with?
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asr - other than that it looks pretty and makes the rig look nicer, why do you have the aristaeus there but no electrostatic headphone that you can use it with?
tongue.gif

Uh... er... I didn't realize what its outputs were.
redface.gif
Ba dum pish? My fanboyism for anything HeadAmp is more than I thought.
biggrin.gif
Scrap the tube amp then, no other tube amp exists in my dreams other than the Aristaeus.
580smile.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #23 of 38
I'd be pretty happy with P-01/D-01/G-0s -> CPA4000E -> SPM1400E -> Grand Utopia Be. It's not extreme in the world of extreme high end hifi, but I can tell you it sounds wonderful already. Sorry about the picture quality: it was quite dark in the listening room. I ended up spending 2.5 hours in that room that afternoon for good reasons
biggrin.gif
The Grand Utopia Be were pushed back into the corner when we listened to the Divas...

circuit1mp0.jpg

circuit2zr1.jpg

circuit3re8.jpg

circuit4uc8.jpg
<- my brother, a budding audiophile
biggrin.gif
I got him the ER6i awhile ago, now he's wanting a pair of E500
tongue.gif
He's also developed a keen interest in CD transports
confused.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #24 of 38
^
eek.gif

Way closer than I'll ever get to my dream system for sure!

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd ask for A-mei, the taiwanese singer on my avatar, to sing to me. her vocals is my dream rig! nothing else can sound more intimate!

Listening to all her CD from the 1st release. I noticed her voice quality degraded over time. sad but true. I guess she doesn't know how to sing. sure got a good voice, or rather had a good voice.

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #26 of 38
This is what I would call a properly extreme (pure McIntosh) stereo rig:
DSCF8016.jpg

DSCF8022.jpg

DSCF8012.jpg

DSCF8010.jpg

I saw this at the 2006 Hong Kong High-End AV Show, but the pictures are from the 2005 show. I still can't believe all those components are part of the same system
biggrin.gif

Or this rig:
DSCF5256.jpg

DSCF5251.jpg
<-translation from top to bottom: speakers, transport, DAC, preamp, poweramp, power conditioner, WB turntable
DSCF5253.jpg

DSCF5255.jpg

All image credits go to AVBuzz.com, used without permission.

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From up to down stream.

C-5xe_thumbnail.jpg

K-1x_Preamplifier_thumbnail.jpg

MX-R_mono_amplifier_thumbnail.jpg

MX-R_mono_amplifier_thumbnail.jpg

Strad-3-4-Front-N-G_s.jpg

See not so expensive isn't it
k1000smile.gif

I am one of those low budget shoppers
orphsmile.gif

Your speaking my language! Add the Ayre P-5xe phono stage and my turntable, change the speakers out to my Thiel CS7.2s and you have my system. I have heard the new amps and they are next on my list. I own everything else so far. SO FAR SO GOOD!

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #30 of 38
Dream dream? Everything custom made, everything, by the best designers in the world. If I have to raise a few from the dead so be it!

I'd be thinking:

Custom electrostat system by Stax, not the other guys (apparently only the Omega I and the T2 were actually built by Stax), though if we could get Martin Logan working on headphones...I'd give them a shot.

Custom dynamics by Grado, custom amp by E.A.R.

Custom speakers by Sonus Faber and custom amps by Wavac.

Custom tt...hmmm this will be the hardest...I'd want Tim De Paravincini to get together with the guys at Teres Audio and SME and design something with the build quality of SME, the theories of Tim and the looks of the current top Teres models. For an arm...I'd want something like the Schroeder but with the build of a SME, maybe a super SME! Carts...hmmm, a Koetsu/Grado collaboration would be the most idea in the world for me and then EAR and Manley Labs would have to get together and design the uberest phonostage ever.

I'd have a NAS somewhere in the house (2-3 TB's for sure) streaming to a superb DAC...E.A.R. would have to be involved, maybe Linn and EMM, heck throw in Bermester and Wadia and we have a total shoot out among the greats.

That leaves cables, if we can figure out a way for electrons to fly through a vaccuum perfectly, I'm all in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back