Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 586
Got my DOOK U2 Pro in today. Using the coax out into my Bifrost 2 -> G111 -> Vokyl Erupt, because no BF2 driver for Win7 ^ ^ Gotta say, the setup sounds bloody fantastic. I'm only hearing magic. Superb refinement, dynamic range, detail, separation, space, and not a drop of bass missing. I downloaded the XMOS driver from the link on the DOOK site, instead of using that cute mini CD with the bananas <3 Using the included power cable, with my 5V phone charger. Will plug the coax into Mojo soon, see if it improves the sound there, as well, vs USB.
photo_2021-07-12_22-15-55.jpg

photo_2021-07-12_22-15-48.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 586
Got my DOOK U2 Pro in today. Using the coax out into my Bifrost 2 -> G111 -> Vokyl Erupt, because no BF2 driver for Win7 ^ ^ Gotta say, the setup sounds bloody fantastic. I'm only hearing magic. Superb refinement, dynamic range, detail, separation, space, and not a drop of bass missing. I downloaded the XMOS driver from the link on the DOOK site, instead of using that cute mini CD with the bananas <3 Using the included power cable, with my 5V phone charger. Will plug the coax into Mojo soon, see if it improves the sound there, as well, vs USB.
photo_2021-07-12_22-15-55.jpg
photo_2021-07-12_22-15-48.jpg
Got a link for the driver? Can't find it on their site. Cheers.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #18 of 586
Will plug the coax into Mojo soon, see if it improves the sound there, as well, vs USB.
Battery powered device is receiving less interference than a desktop device, so don't expect miracles, unless it is modded with a better clock, see below. However it is nice to hear that sound of BF2 is improved. My U2 will arrive only few weeks from now.

Clock modification will be similar to my mod of the Amanero board on the R2R-11. I will post later what clock devices are expected to work with U2 Pro.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 586
Battery powered device is receiving less interference than a desktop device, so don't expect miracles, unless it is modded with a better clock, see below. However it is nice to hear that sound of BF2 is improved. My U2 will arrive only few weeks from now.

Clock modification will be similar to my mod of the Amanero board on the R2R-11. I will post later what clock devices are expected to work with U2 Pro.
Mojo sounds muddy and congested compared to BF2, using the same coax or optical line from the Douk. Mojo has met its limit, heh.

I have only heard BF2 with my phone's USB, not USB from PC yet, because I don't have "a modern OS"(according to Schiit, who also considers BF2 "affordable"). But I only tested AST and Starsea on the Mojo, so I need to test Erupt for a direct comparison.

I ordered an iFi iPower2 for the Douk next, to see if there is a further improvement.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 586
That DOOK thing deserves an affordable but solid linear PSU from china, with the blue or light green encapsulated in plastic transformer. I have one with regulable voltage and a display. Was well under 100€, closer to 50€ than to 100€. 5V is regular USB power, so I could be able to use the one I already own, which has two or 3 energy outputs.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 586
Here's my question about these power filtering devices, such as the iFi iPower2 - Where is the data showing that they do what they claim? Where can I see that X unit is a good enough performing unit for my needs? I see plenty of anti-jitter tests for devices like the Galvanic Isolator, but have seen absolutely nothing for devices like iPower.

Edit - I did find one test on the original iPower 9V here, showing incredibly excellent performance, surprisingly... As good as a raw battery!

@ 1A = 10uV (0.15uV audio band)
@ 2A = 12uV (0.15uV audio band)
PSU03.png.77431fcf80ccacb6944a7de28bf1342b.png

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #22 of 586
Edit - I did find one test on the original iPower 9V here, showing incredibly excellent performance, surprisingly... As good as a raw battery!

@ 1A = 10uV (0.15uV audio band)
@ 2A = 12uV (0.15uV audio band)
Such measurement is more suitable for the analog chain. A goal for DDC PSU is to redirect ground loops from the noisy source. Therefore filtering of mains can even obstruct this job, depends how it is done. There shouldn't be any choke placed on the ground wire.

More important than analog performance of PSU is a cable layout and conductivity. EMI is proportional to the area where current is flowing, so you need minimise this area by plugging both devices close to the same outlet an laying power cables together. Shielded power cable helps more than many people think. It allows to move emission few meter away from the place where it created (in your device, surprised?), it becomes less harmful from a distance. USB cable should be short and have ferrite chokes either moulded or added clamps.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #24 of 586
Just got this; broke on first try.

Junk and best avoided.
What broke..? And how? Works great for me.

I have coax and optical hooked up, running 24/7.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #25 of 586
What broke..? And how? Works great for me.

I have coax and optical hooked up, running 24/7.
The entire system. It literally made a clicking sound as though some internal mechanism had sprung out of control. To be fair, I wasn't expecting much given the price but wanted to try the coax connection. I've since ordered a higher model from Matrix.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 586
I am more interested where you did purchase from. When it says on the box Douk Audio, it doesn't have to be original product. I already ordered from Amazon Douk Audio store, there are no reports of DOA, the same on the official Aliexpress store.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #27 of 586
I am more interested where you did purchase from. When it says on the box Douk Audio, it doesn't have to be original product. I already ordered from Amazon from Douk Audio store, there are no reports of DOA, the same on the official Aliexpress store.
Direct from Amazon.de. Came in and was returned same day. Not a big deal, it's only 60$, but just a heads up.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 195929.png

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #28 of 586
At least this product is fulfilled by Amazon and can be returned at no cost.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #29 of 586
Direct from Amazon.de. Came in and was returned same day. Not a big deal, it's only 60$, but just a heads up.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 195929.png

Get a working one and comment back. Certainly not the first device DOA, not the first one, at all. Amazon will refund you or send a working one, otherwise we are going to think that you work for the competition and this is all a bluff.

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 586
Get a working one and comment back. Certainly not the first device DOA, not the first one, at all. Amazon will refund you or send a working one, otherwise we are going to think that you work for the competition and this is all a bluff.
LOL, work for the competition. That's a good one. My line of work is slightly loftier, thankfully.

To be perfectly honest, I have no investment in any audio company. If it works, it works. I don't care who makes it. This didn't work, no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back