Doge 6210 HP amp - good tube combos.
May 20, 2007 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
HP listening tips:

Headphone listening is different from speakers just like speakers are different from live - you have to learn to be content with a smaller soundstage in going from live music to recorded music played on speakers, and in going from speakers to headphones you reduce it to a really miniature soundstage.

You will have a tendency to turn the volume up to bring the music closer and larger to make it more like speakers. This will collapse or compress the fore and aft soundstage and increase the distortion.

You must discipline yourself to turn the volume down some, to put the music further away from you. Instruments in the back should not sound loud but soft. The distance from near and far instruments will increase - too much volume and this distance compresses.

You absolutely need a quiet environment - no noises in the background - to hear soft passages at lower volumes.

Volume can't be too low or the tones won't bloom.

With headphones you can get a natural timbre that is unadulterated by speaker-room phase distortions and phase distortion from cross-fed speaker sound. This affords better focused imaging with more distinct instrument separation, and better inner detail, compared to room speakers, but at the cost of some good attributes of speaker sound: weight to the music, fullness to the tone, and a larger sound stage.

You must live with these deficits but many try to duplicate speaker sound by turning the volume up with HPs. However, this will cause other problems and should be avoided. Headphones offer enough compensating virtures over speakers to make up for what you miss.

I only use my headphone system when I want to engage in intensive and maximally concentrated listening. So I keep the volume down to the point of no distortion, and good fore and aft soundstaging with depth of distant instruments. Adjusting the volume properly is critical to getting the best sound.

If you get noises or other problems in one of the two channels, change the tube from right to left - front (tall tubes) first in the Doge. Does the noise switch sides? If not, switch the sides of the back (short) tubes. In this way you can tell which tube is bad - replace the suspected one and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes it is poor pin contact from pin corrosion. You can bend the pins very slightly inward to get better pin contact, or better, clean the pins to remove corrision. Always turn the amp off, and allow the tube to cool a few minutes, before removing a tube.

The new Chinese tubes that come with the Doge need 5 hours of use to burn in and start sounding good. I have found the Chinese 6N14 (EL84 or 6BQ5 type) to be useful, but not when combined witht he Chinese 12AX7 tube. Any brand of 12AX7 tube needs to be properly mated to the right 6BQ5 tubes to get a good match - some combos give too much euphonic distortion and other combs are overly lean in tone body richness.

I rate tubes from 1 to 5 on richness.

1 is very lean in tone body but has sharp tone edges giving a highly detailed and sharp imaging sound with excellent instrument separation. This sound is very hard and can cause listening fatigue.

5 is very euphonic. This gives an overly rich or fat tone body with poor edge definition so the tone spreads out in an overly liquid soundstage, tones that tend to blend together with poor instrument separation, and poor or blurred/muddy imaging. Bloated or tubby bass that is poorly defined is obvious here.

For me, a rating of 3 to 3.2 is best but sometimes I prefer the slightly greater sharpness and focused images of down to a 2.8 and sometimes I prefer the slightly greater smoothness and rich timbre of up to a 3.4.

I am continuously updating my tube recommendations - check from time to time. Here are some good tube combos with the Doge - bad ones are not mentioned:

Use the two Chinese 6P14 in front with two GE 12AX7 (long plates of 17mm) in the back. Rated 2.9 on richness. Strong bass, detailed, but high resolution (need a good source).

Use two Russian 6P14P EB (or harder to find EP instead of the EB for slightly more power - good for the AKG K701) in front and two Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in back. Rated 3 on richness.

Use two Baldwin made in Japan 6BQ5 tubes in front with two GE 12AX7 long plates in back (or even two Electro Harmonix 12AX7) in back - neutral and uncolored, good for vocals and choral works. Rated 3 on richness. These Japanese 6BQ5 have one short rectangular slot in the middle of the plate and two long rectangular slots at the top and bottom. Other Japanese 6BQ5 tubes have one short rectangular slot in the middle of the plate and two short (not long like the Baldwin-Japan) rectangular slots at the top and bottom, and also sound good with the 12AX7 GE long plates. Rated 3 on richness.

Note: Many will prefer slightly more tone body richness (bloom) than the above and should use Use two Baldwin made in Japan 6BQ5 tubes in front with two Groove Tube (GT) 12AX7 long plates in back. This also adds slightly more deep bass (may be too much for the HD650) and gain (turn the volume knob down some). Rated 3.1 on richness.

Use two Russian 6P14P EB in front with two Groove Tube 12AX7 (11mm plate length) in back - one of the very best - I would go with this one if forced to use only one combo. You could "hot rod" this combo some by using the Russian 6P14P EP (instead of the EB) for slightly more power but I prefer the EB myself. Rated 3.1 on richness.

Use the two Chinese 6P14 (EL84 or 6BQ5 types) in front with two Mullard GB 12AX7 (medium plates - 14 mm) in back. Rated 3 on richness. Very slightly softer than above - more forgiving of the source.

Use the two Chinese 6P14 (EL84 or 6BQ5 types) in front with two Ken Rad 12AX7 in back. Rated 3.1 on richness. Even slightly softer than above - more forgiving of the source.

Use two GE 6BQ5 tubes in front with two Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in back. Rated 3 on richness.

Use two GE 6BQ5 tubes in front with two Sovtek 12AX7WA in back. Rated 3 on richness. Slightly more laid back than other combos. Rated 3.2 on richness.

Use two GE 6BQ5 tubes in front with two Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 in back. Rated 3 on richness - slightly more forward (less laid back) than the above.

Use two GE 6BQ5 tubes in front with two RCA 7025 gray plates in back. Rated 3 on richness.

Use two GE 6BQ5 tubes in front with two Ken Rad 12AX7 in back. Rated 3.1 on richness.

Use two Amperex EL84/6BQ5 (I have halo getters but D getters may be even better) in front and two Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in back. Rated 3 on richness.

Use two RCA 6BQ5 in front and two Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in back. Rated 3.1 on richness.

Use two Russian 6P14P EB in front and two Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates in back. Rated 3.1 on richness.

Use two Raytheon 6BQ5 made in Japan and two Ken Rad 12AX7 in back. Rated 3.2 on richness.

Use two Philips-Heerlen EL84 in front with two Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in back. Rated 3.2 on richness.

Use two Mullard-England EL84 (with D getters, not Halo getters) in front and two GE 12AX7 long plates (17mm) in back, to get a nice slightly sweet timbre - rated 3.2 on richness.

Use two Raytheon/Japan, Hitachi, or other brands of 6BQ5 made in Japan, in front, with two German RTF (short plates of 10mm) in back. Rated 3.2 on richness.

Use two Russian 6P14P EB (or harder to find EP instead of the EB) in front and two GE 12AX7 medium plates (13mm) in back. Rated 3.2 on richness.

Volume note: With two 12AX7 GE long plates and two Chinese 6P14, I turn volume knob up very little but if I switch the Chinese 6P14 for two Philips-Holland EL84 (that test strong as new), I have to turn the volume knob way up over the previous setting, and the richness changes to 3.2. Some combos do require turning the volume knob up more than usual. Most are not too different though.

Use the two Chinese 6P14 in front with two GE 5751 in back. Rated 3.2 on richness - this is my favorite rich combo.
5751s are richer and softer than 12AX7s. Some 5751s should match well with the lean and detailed Chinese 6P14 - richness and softness is complemented with leanness and sharpness. pftrvir clued me in to this combo in liking the Sovtek 5751 with the Chinese 6P14 (which I haven't yet tried).

Use the two Chinese 6P14 in front with two Sylvania 12AX7 in back. Rated 3.3 on richness.

Use two Sylvania 6BQ5 in front and two Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in back. Rated 3.3 on richness.

Use two Russian 6P14P EB in front and two RCA 12AX7 or 7025 gray medium (13mm) rib plates in back. Rated 3.3 on richness - a fun, rich and lush sound that some will like (I like it occasionally, along with the one above and below).

Use two Mullard (Halo getters, not D getters) in front and two Sylvania 12AX7 or 7025 with long (17mm) gray T plates and halo getters. Rated 3.35 on richness.

The match is the thing: The Russian 6P14P EB, or even the Chinese 6P14, as output tubes give great sound when matched to the right 12AX7. I never thought such great sound was possible from a Chinese tube but the Chinese 6P14 sounds great with the tubes such as the GE 12AX7 long (17mm) plates.

May 20, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 18
To my ears, two 12AX7 GE long plates and two Chinese 6P14 sound muddy and flat. My favorite matches for Chinese 6p14 are Sovtek 5751 or JJ ECC803S.

May 21, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 18
art have you had a chance to hear the new Chinese 12AX7s from the Shuguang plant?

I believe the latest ones use 9th generation tooling and are said to sound particularly good for their meagre price

mine arrived today and initial impressions are very very positive, too good almost for their price $6/tube

I'm not using them in a 6210 but in my MC-66AE but the WoW factor is certainly there, maybe they'll have a similar effect in your 6210 =D

May 21, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
art have you had a chance to hear the new Chinese 12AX7s from the Shuguang plant?

I believe the latest ones use 9th generation tooling and are said to sound particularly good for their meagre price

mine arrived today and initial impressions are very very positive, too good almost for their price $6/tube

I'm not using them in a 6210 but in my MC-66AE but the WoW factor is certainly there, maybe they'll have a similar effect in your 6210 =D

No, but I have one 12AX7 made in China that uses bright chrome plates (unusual)- single tube so I haven't tried it - need a matched pair. I also have a single 12AX7 Groove tube with short plates - maybe 6 or 7 mm.

My current combo is the Groove tube with 11mm plates (it has some chrome supports on the plates - also unusual) and two Russian 6P14P EB. Very impressive.

Does the new Chinese give sharper detail in the MC66AE? I wish I had used more 12AX7 types when I had the MC66AE - I loved the rich lush sound but would have like to see if I could lean it out just a tad with some 12AX7 experiments.

May 21, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but I have one 12AX7 made in China that uses bright chrome plates (unusual)- single tube so I haven't tried it - need a matched pair. I also have a single 12AX7 Groove tube with short plates - maybe 6 or 7 mm.

My current combo is the Groove tube with 11mm plates (it has some chrome supports on the plates - also unusual) and two Russian 6P14P EB. Very impressive.

Does the new Chinese give sharper detail in the MC66AE? I wish I had used more 12AX7 types when I had the MC66AE - I loved the rich lush sound but would have like to see if I could lean it out just a tad with some 12AX7 experiments.

I haven't heard the stock chinese tubes for some months, I've replaced the output tubes with some old soviet 6H6N and until today was very content with the Sylvania 5751 Gold Brand in the input position.

Compared to the 5751 GB the Shuguang 12AX7 is a bit leaner sounding, but that's could be due to the 5751GB being one of the most mid-heavy tubes I've ever had the pleasure of hearing, really puts vocalists in your lap so to speak.

The Shuguangs are much more balanced, the mids aren't as over emphasized and they have good amounts of detail, however there is this annoying grain in some treble that I'm hoping will dissapear with some settling in.

It doesn't exactly make the MC66-AE sound solid state or anything, but much more balanced and refined than I ever remember it being with stock configuration, yet retains that tube sweetness and softness around the edges, though not to the extent it causes it to sound mushy (not to me anyway)

These new tubes sound better than any other current production tubes I've heard which unfortunately is just limited to the Sovtek 5751 and Electro Harmonix Gold 5751s. Detail and dynamics wise they are superior. Tone-wise I'd put it between the dry sounding sovtek and the mellow EHG tube, again, "balance" comes to mind.

Compared to the 5751GB though I think i still prefer the 5751GB for their imaging and soundstage, but this could just be their seductive mids bringing the music to life and adding realism to the vocal music I use it to listen to. The treble glare that is present in these shuguangs is a bit disconcerting, but I will give it a few more hours and see how things turn out.

All in all could not be happier considering their price and ready availability.

May 21, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pftrvlr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, two 12AX7 GE long plates and two Chinese 6P14 sound muddy and flat. My favorite matches for Chinese 6p14 are Sovtek 5751 or JJ ECC803S.

The GE 12AX7 long plates and Chinese 6P14 is lean and detailed to me, with strong tight bass.

Check your GE 12AX7 to see if they are the 14 mm plates instead of the 17mm plates.

Your post about using Sovtek 5751 and Chinese 614P intrigued me as the Chinese 614P is one of the leannest and detailed tubes. The 5751 tends to be richer thant he 12AX7 and counteracts the leanness of the Chinese 614P.

I don't have Sovtek 5751 but I did try GE 5751 with the chinese 614P.

At first it seemed too liquid and rich since I tend to favor a detailed and sharp sound, but then I noticed detail was present and it was not syrupy rich. The timbre was very pleasing. Very nice and I rate it as 3.2 on the richness scale.

I think you are on to something in using the Chinese 6P14 with the 5751 and I hope to get some Sovtek 5751s to try.

May 23, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 18
Here is my list over tested input tubes for my Doge 6210.

Ranking:
1. Mullard 12AT7WA
2. Brimar 12AX7
3. Golden Dragon 12AX7A
4. JJ ECC83S
5. Sovtek 12AX7LPS
6. Stock Chinese 12AX7B

All of these are tested together with stock Chinese EL84.

I`m waiting for a pair of Mullard EL84 and thinking about ordering a pair of Golden Dragon EL84.

I love this tuberolling!

May 23, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fillemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello drarthurwells,

have you already received the schematics of the doge amp.
or somebody else.

thanx

Yes. Will have pics this weekend or mail copies if you want better clarity. PM with your email to send a pic or to give me your address for a copy.

May 30, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Will have pics this weekend or mail copies if you want better clarity. PM with your email to send a pic or to give me your address for a copy.

I search for a good tube amp - please can you send me a copy from the schema of Doge 6210 HP amp too.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by johna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my list over tested input tubes for my Doge 6210.

Ranking:
1. Mullard 12AT7WA
2. Brimar 12AX7
3. Golden Dragon 12AX7A
4. JJ ECC83S
5. Sovtek 12AX7LPS
6. Stock Chinese 12AX7B

All of these are tested together with stock Chinese EL84.

I`m waiting for a pair of Mullard EL84 and thinking about ordering a pair of Golden Dragon EL84.

I love this tuberolling!

hello is there a risk to replace a 12ax7 by a 12at7 ?
i thought it wasn't the same spec ???
plainface.gif

hi !

Jun 2, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fillemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you ,

just post it here, no need to pm, that way everyone can have a look, i'm not a pro like people around here. mostly i just try to understand what they are saying.

greetings

I would rather not post it for various reasons and hope no one else does either.

I will mail a good clear copy to anyone free worldwide if they PM me their address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back