Does your rolex get noticed?
May 10, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #78 of 140
Buying a watch of any kind is shallow anyway you see it. A watch today is just not functional anymore when you got clocks everywhere you go. You got them on mobile phones, mp3 players, laptops, cars, just about everywhere.

And buying a Rolex for reliability is a moot point too. Just about any watch you can buy is reliable. Even if it wasnt then you'd still be better off buying multiple watches throughout your lifetime instead of one rolex. But obviously you arent buying a rolex for reliability alone. You'd be better off buying a Bulgari. Those watches look extremely nice in my opinion and its what hollywood stars are wearing. But I can guarantee you that your taste will change over the years. When I was young the Ferrari Testarossa was my dream car. Right now I dont even want one even if you'd give it to me for free.

If you really want to get noticed though then you'd be better off buying a nice car if you havent gotten one already. Trust me on this I am pretty much in the same boat as you and you'll get tons more attentions and functionality to boot. And if you have $2000 left over dont spend it on a watch. Spend it on your car. Get some nice chrome trims and door handles or leather seats. Tons of girls will like you for your car. Unfortunately the world is shallow not you.

May 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #79 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it not buying a Rolex because they're seen as shallow, shallow?

So you can tell all that about a person by looking at the make of his or her watch? I wear an Omega, do tell us what kind of person I am.
wink_face.gif

May 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #80 of 140
@ montell

I have to disagree. Not all mechanical watches are purchased for shallow reasons. I collected mostly because of the artistry and craftsmanship of those marvels. And not to forget the historical significance of many. Which was why a good portion of my collection was vintage.

Ross

May 10, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #81 of 140
Long live Omega!

I wear one too and I prefer it to Rolex because I don't have to worry when I bump into things (I'm clumsy like that and my Omega is built like uh.....a metal watch)

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you can tell all that about a person by looking at the make of his or her watch? I wear an Omega, do tell us what kind of person I am.
wink_face.gif

May 10, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #82 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying a watch of any kind is shallow anyway you see it. A watch today is just not functional anymore when you got clocks everywhere you go. You got them on mobile phones, mp3 players, laptops, cars, just about everywhere.

Absolute BS...At work, I don't have a clock in my sleeping quarters, nor do I have a clock in my office, or work-floor. At home, I don't keep one in my room and the only one I have is downstairs. I spend a lot of time outside too, and I refuse to pull out my cellphone just to look at the time when I can twist my wrist just as quickly, and as it stands, they are banned everywhere at work except at the office desk or in the sleeping quarters.

Please don't pass off the purchase of any watch as shallow, just because you don't have need for one anymore. There are many people who still prefer watches to other electronics w/added clock functionality, and there are others still who enjoy collecting them. I personally own about 6-7 good watches, and I prefer to use them a lot more than any of the clocks in any of the other places you mentionedl.

May 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #83 of 140
I have a Rolex. Parents insisted its what I got for my 21st birthday. It doesn't get noticed most the time, but when I do wear it, I worry it will get noticed as I'm not particularly keen on being mugged.

My biggest problem is if you take it off for 2 days then it loses its time, so I've stopped wearing it. Also I'm a software engineer so spend a lot of time infront of the computer and I find resting on the watch to be uncomfortable so I end up taking it off.

By all means buy one. It's nice to own something of such quality. But to buy it to impress girls isn't really worth it. Impressing girls isn't really that key when you get older, the girls you can impress aren't worth having. The ones that are worth having will be put off by a guy flashing around an expensive watch, they can only be had by personality. (told my gf about this thread and she told me if a guy tried to impress her with a watch she would crush them)

May 11, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #84 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by waffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I love swatches, and they get noticed a lot by girls 18-19 years old.

I think I'll buy a couple of Swatches and give it a try! For the life of me, I can't understand how you could think this would be a bad thing.

May 11, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #86 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wayne, at our age it could be an unhealthy decision.
wink.gif

Sort of like 30 years of indiscriminate eating has been? Listen man, I can't speak for you (since you're a married) man, but I'll take any break I can get to make up for my lost youth!

May 11, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #87 of 140
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Then you must be exactly like Pierce Brosnan!

photo_brosnan21.jpg

icon10.gif

May 11, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #88 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sort of like 30 years of indiscriminate eating has been? Listen man, I can't speak for you (since you're a married) man, but I'll take any break I can get to make up for my lost youth!

Then go and buy 100 swatches!
icon10.gif

May 11, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #89 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you must be exactly like Pierce Brosnan!

photo_brosnan21.jpg

icon10.gif

Wouldn't that be nice. Even if he was the second worst bond ever. Second only to David Niven.

EDIT: And Daniel Craig

May 11, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #90 of 140
Quote:

wink_face.gif

A self indulgent, **** with to much money, who has no idea what a quality watch is, and are a very, very bad man.

(I'm not bieng serious in case anyone hadn't noticed).

You have a fine choice in hifi gear though.
smily_headphones1.gif
Even though I think you have a terrible tast in bonds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll buy a couple of Swatches and give it a try! For the life of me, I can't understand how you could think this would be a bad thing.

I know, what is he crazy. If i'm not mistaken he want to be noticed for wearing a watch and attract women, which is extremely shallow (i'm not sayin this is a bad thing), but I thought a person as shallow as he is on this matter, wouldn't mind a younger women (I always seem to end up with women older then me, so I guess i'm in the reverse situation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back