Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
May 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #61 of 1,409

Asynchronous transfer mode.  Read up on it for more info.  Ken Rankin who owns Wavelength invented the code for the USB.  Otherwise you're dealing with all sorts of jitter out of the computer.
Quote:
Quote:
The Bench isn't Asynch though.

Not sure what an async dac? Can you explain?

May 21, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #63 of 1,409

[size=medium]
Has anyone tried listening to their headphones straight out of the back of the W4S DAC-2 using the DAC-2 pre amp to control volume.  I'm listening now that way using the LCD-2's.  W4S said they had a few clients who had done this.  It actually sounds very good. I'm impressed.  
[/size]

May 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #65 of 1,409

Quote:
Anyone using the power cables and the other cables made and sold by Wyred 4 Sound with their DAC-2?

I ordered the W4S P1 power cable and I've been using since I got the DAC2 about a month ago (I ordered them at the same time). I used the stock cable to replace the power cable that came with my Schiit Lyr, so I haven't done any A/B testing with the stock and P1 cable (I will if there is any interest). However, I can say that the P1 cable is a very nice, beefy power cable, and that the sound is very clean and powerful, with a dead quite background (aside from the tiny hum from the Lyr).

I also just noticed the W4S is now selling a PCOOC USB cable http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-plusB.html?find_groupid=51658 . When I ordered the DAC2 Clint mentioned that W4S was developing a USB cable for the DAC2, and he said that it added a lot of airiness to the sound, as well as increasing the soundstage. I can't afford one right now, and I was originally skeptical about the differences between stock USB cables and a boutique USB cables. However, from other's experiences it sounds like upgrading the USB cable really does improve sound quality. If the W4S USB cable really is as good as Clint described (and I have no reason to doubt him; he was very helpful and honest when I was ordering my DAC2) and is as well built as the P1 power cable, then I'd be more than willing to invest in one of these cables (~$200) when I get the funds (probably several months from now). Anyhow, if anyone gets one of these W4S USB cables, please share your experiences. 

May 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #66 of 1,409
Bit the bullet and ordered a W4S DAC2 yesterday.  I was hoping to find one to evaluate against my Benchmark, but like so many other times in this hobby, only way to try is to buy.  So that's coming next week, at which point I'll let it break in, then do some comparing.  Either the W4S or the Benchmark DAC1 Pre will be up for sale.  From what I'm reading, I suspect the W4S will be the keeper.

May 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #67 of 1,409

Quote:
I ordered the W4S P1 power cable and I've been using since I got the DAC2 about a month ago (I ordered them at the same time). I used the stock cable to replace the power cable that came with my Schiit Lyr, so I haven't done any A/B testing with the stock and P1 cable (I will if there is any interest). However, I can say that the P1 cable is a very nice, beefy power cable, and that the sound is very clean and powerful, with a dead quite background (aside from the tiny hum from the Lyr).

I also just noticed the W4S is now selling a PCOOC USB cable http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-plusB.html?find_groupid=51658 . When I ordered the DAC2 Clint mentioned that W4S was developing a USB cable for the DAC2, and he said that it added a lot of airiness to the sound, as well as increasing the soundstage. I can't afford one right now, and I was originally skeptical about the differences between stock USB cables and a boutique USB cables. However, from other's experiences it sounds like upgrading the USB cable really does improve sound quality. If the W4S USB cable really is as good as Clint described (and I have no reason to doubt him; he was very helpful and honest when I was ordering my DAC2) and is as well built as the P1 power cable, then I'd be more than willing to invest in one of these cables (~$200) when I get the funds (probably several months from now). Anyhow, if anyone gets one of these W4S USB cables, please share your experiences. 

Thanks

May 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #68 of 1,409
Anyone using the DAC-2 with a iMac? and if so do you take the DAC-2 in and out of your computer system?

I remove my DAC-2 from my MAC about once a day to use in another room that is not a computer based system.  When I return the DAC-2 to the MAC system I do this.  The MAC is off. I plug in the DAC-2 to the USB port I turn on the MAC, I power up the DAC, I use the remote to access the USB menu.  I open iTunes and click play and my MAC gets the dark restart screen.  I restart the MAC everything is fine.  Sometimes the dark restart screen occurs if I turn on the DAC after powering up even without iTune being on so I do not think it is iTunes.

May 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #69 of 1,409

Quote:
Bit the bullet and ordered a W4S DAC2 yesterday.  I was hoping to find one to evaluate against my Benchmark, but like so many other times in this hobby, only way to try is to buy.  So that's coming next week, at which point I'll let it break in, then do some comparing.  Either the W4S or the Benchmark DAC1 Pre will be up for sale.  From what I'm reading, I suspect the W4S will be the keeper.

Burn the DAC-2 in for 200 hours.  Don't even bother to listen to it until then.   

May 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #71 of 1,409

Quote:
Anyone using the DAC-2 with a iMac? and if so do you take the DAC-2 in and out of your computer system?

I remove my DAC-2 from my MAC about once a day to use in another room that is not a computer based system.  When I return the DAC-2 to the MAC system I do this.  The MAC is off. I plug in the DAC-2 to the USB port I turn on the MAC, I power up the DAC, I use the remote to access the USB menu.  I open iTunes and click play and my MAC gets the dark restart screen.  I restart the MAC everything is fine.  Sometimes the dark restart screen occurs if I turn on the DAC after powering up even without iTune being on so I do not think it is iTunes.

I'm using a MacBook, but I've found the only way I can avoid the restart prompt is to: close the MacBook, plug in the USB, open the MacBook, start Pure Music (making sure the DAC2 is the default output and that Pure Music is in Hog Mode), and then turn on the DAC2 (not flipping the switch in the back, but just pushing the power button on the DAC2's face). Based on this, I'm assuming that the DAC2 really doesn't like being toggled, but that you can avoid doing so by having everything running and then turning on the DAC2. I know this order of events is different than what listed in the manual, but it seems to work on my system. The only other option I've tried is using the optical out; that always works, but the USB output sounds better to me, so I'm willing to jump through a few tiny hoops to get it to work. 

May 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #72 of 1,409

Quote:
I'm using a MacBook, but I've found the only way I can avoid the restart prompt is to: close the MacBook, plug in the USB, open the MacBook, start Pure Music (making sure the DAC2 is the default output and that Pure Music is in Hog Mode), and then turn on the DAC2 (not flipping the switch in the back, but just pushing the power button on the DAC2's face). Based on this, I'm assuming that the DAC2 really doesn't like being toggled, but that you can avoid doing so by having everything running and then turning on the DAC2. I know this order of events is different than what listed in the manual, but it seems to work on my system. The only other option I've tried is using the optical out; that always works, but the USB output sounds better to me, so I'm willing to jump through a few tiny hoops to get it to work. 

I'm going to write to W4S and tell them of my problem and let them know that I'm not too happy about this.   

May 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #73 of 1,409

Quote:
I actually read it needs 300.

it's possible.  I didn't have my LCD's while my W4S was burning in.  I used a small high end system instead and checked in every 24 hours up to 200. but then I just let in burn in continually since.   I think 0-100 is the biggest change then 100-150, smaller change then 150- 200 much smaller change.  But fro me even a small change is significant.   It will be interesting to see if you feel it changes with significant burn in when your unit arrives.   Sounds great out of the box but no where near what it does after significant burn in.

May 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #75 of 1,409
There's mention of issues like this in the 6moons write up:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred4/dac.html

The reviewer experienced some problems.  In the Wyred response at the end of the article:

"the USB driver for the DAC does not like to be toggled. We do not normally experience OS crashing or blue screens if the device is disconnected or terminated after the media player is shut down. Also, it is very important to not disconnect the AC power from the DAC while it is communicating with the computer. In most cases, the end user shouldn't have any similar problems when using the DAC-2 as their device."

Quite frankly, it's stuff like this that made me give up on using a computer as my source.  Too many headaches.  I moved to Squeezebox several years ago and haven't looked back since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back