Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
May 11, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #46 of 1,409
Tubes are what I have w/Woo WA22 and never thought I'd be going there after 30 years of SS.  But it sounds great.  The more I read the more I wanted to try a tube amp.  Life moves too fast not to try different things.

May 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #47 of 1,409

Quote:
Tubes are what I have w/Woo WA22 and never thought I'd be going there after 30 years of SS.  But it sounds great.  The more I read the more I wanted to try a tube amp.  Life moves too fast not to try different things.

So you have the WA22?   How do you like it with the DAC-2?   I'm still deciding on an amp for the DAC-2/LCD-2 Combination.   Years ago I had many a tube mono block and although I absolutely loved the sound of tubes they were too much of a distraction for me. Finally I went Krell SS.    But still I'm have the itch for tubes and the WA22 is one of them.   Funny though, when I gave up tubes I would think life moves too fast to be worrying about tubes al the time!

May 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #48 of 1,409
The WA22 sounds great with the DAC2.  I think over at the Woo Audio thread their are 3 or 4 of us with this same setup.  I got the tubes I like (Shuguang Treasures matched, EML 5U) and am happy with that setup rather than fret over all the tube choices.  A few others have pretty much the same tube setup.  I will be one of the first to get the Cavalli Liquid Fire amp in about a month.  A hybrid that has excellent pre-reviews.  No big worries about tube setup and you get all the SS behind it as well. A few people are calling it a game changer.  You can check it out here http://cavalliaudio.com/products/liquid-fire-amp/

May 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #50 of 1,409
You won't need to worry about it.  Just tell Alex C what kind of headphones you'll use.  Mine and everyone else's is coming w/a 50 ohm resistor now.  This baby will drive the LCD2's big time.  Check out the 32Ohm store ALO audio.  They carry the amp now (pre-order)

May 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #51 of 1,409

Quote:
You won't need to worry about it.  Just tell Alex C what kind of headphones you'll use.  Mine and everyone else's is coming w/a 50 ohm resistor now.  This baby will drive the LCD2's big time.  Check out the 32Ohm store ALO audio.  They carry the amp now (pre-order)

I just went to the site.  Someone should tell them to clarify the price of the Liquid fire on their order page.  It is stated at $1375 and that is the price to "add to cart".  But it is somewhat unclear that the $1375 is just a partial payment of $2750.

May 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #52 of 1,409
Pretty clear to me.  It says down payment.  HeadAmp has the same thing for their electrostatic order link.

May 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #53 of 1,409
Well my DAC-2 has 200 hours on it now and counting.   Wish my LCD's would come back to me so I could really test out the DAC.  Sounds great on my speaker rig.  Although it sounded good right out of the box it's really changed over the 200 hours.  Never heard any component change this much with a burn in.

May 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #54 of 1,409
Anyone using an aftermarket USB cable with their W4S DAC-2?  I'm interested in comments from DAC-2 users that have upgraded their USB cable and what improvements, if any, were achieved. 

May 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #55 of 1,409
I use a Cardas Clear.  It was around $100.  I'm not getting into a cable discussion here so I'll just say it is well worth it and I wouldn't even think about going back to a stock cable.

May 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #57 of 1,409
Has anyone compared the W4S DAC2 to a Benchmark DAC1 Pre?  Both are up in the same price range, and have variable/fixed line stages with pre-amp functionality.  I have the DAC1 Pre, but am curious about the W4S.  I run a Squeezebox Touch into my DAC1, then I will be using that as my balanced source for an Eddie Current Balancing Act that is being delivered tomorrow
wink_face.gif
  The Eddie Current will be used as both a headphone amp for balanced HD800's and balanced LCD-2's, and also as a balanced pre-amp for a Krell KAV-2250 amp.  So either way, I won't be needing the line stage on the Benchmark or the W4S, and I won't be needing the headphone amp in the Benchmark.  I'm wondering if for my money, I could be looking at a much better DAC without paying for a line stage and a headphone amp packaged with the DAC.

May 17, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #58 of 1,409

Quote:
I use a Cardas Clear.  It was around $100.  I'm not getting into a cable discussion here so I'll just say it is well worth it and I wouldn't even think about going back to a stock cable.

Thanks, I'll look into that one.

May 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #59 of 1,409

I know Jerhico has both over at the Woo thread.  The Bench isn't Asynch though.  If you don't use computer audio look at the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC.  A better DAC w/o line stage at the same price........don't think so.  You need to make the next jump to a Weiss DAC or Wavelength and then you're talking $3-5K.
Quote:
Has anyone compared the W4S DAC2 to a Benchmark DAC1 Pre?  Both are up in the same price range, and have variable/fixed line stages with pre-amp functionality.  I have the DAC1 Pre, but am curious about the W4S.  I run a Squeezebox Touch into my DAC1, then I will be using that as my balanced source for an Eddie Current Balancing Act that is being delivered tomorrow
wink_face.gif
  The Eddie Current will be used as both a headphone amp for balanced HD800's and balanced LCD-2's, and also as a balanced pre-amp for a Krell KAV-2250 amp.  So either way, I won't be needing the line stage on the Benchmark or the W4S, and I won't be needing the headphone amp in the Benchmark.  I'm wondering if for my money, I could be looking at a much better DAC without paying for a line stage and a headphone amp packaged with the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back