Does anyone else find the D66 eggos.....
Jul 10, 2003 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
to be fatiguing? (sp?)

I can loisten to my grados for a LONG time with no problems, but the eggos i have to take breaks from about once an hour. they are comfortable as hell, so thats not what i have to take breaks.

am i alone?
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 35
It would be dependent on your source and whether you crank the Bass Boost to full. Can you elaborate more on these? And what's the music? Could be the treble or the lower frequencies that fatigues you.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 35
its pretty much anymusic i listen too. from metallica, to queen, to audioslave.

my sources are a sony dej1000, pani 570, all amped with a cmoy.

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 35
With the iPod it was opposite. The Eggos I could listen to for hours and hours to any kind of music, but the Grados were... ouch. Headache. It must be a source thing.

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 35
I'd say it's a source thing also.

I’ve primarily used my eggos with unamped portables because they’re sensitive enough and the Grados just can’t be powered well enough by portables – not so much a volume issue as a quality at the amplification from source issue. The eggos are capable little portables, but cannot come near the fidelity of the SR-80s.

I’ve never found the eggos to be overly bright (fatiguing), but they can lack in overall fidelity. The MDR-V6 has superior fidelity, but can be fatiguing depending on the source. I like my V6s when using my turntable, but find them way too bright for digital sources.

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 35
ive now switched to my MD, and they are not as bad, so it must be a source thing. i also dont think its the highs that are getting to me. for some reason tonite, i find the bass to be bloated, and it is really getting to me. and no, no bass boost or what not. i dont like this though, its the first time ive felt this way about my baby eggos.
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 35
Are you using modded eggos? My stock eggos are lean on mid-bass/bass.

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 35
yeah, these are unmodded. i un did the tape mod. when it was on the bass wasnt bad, didnt listen enough to tell if they were like this though.

these are defenatly source problems, the more i listen with my MD, the longer i can listen.

on a side note, if i take off the pads and unscrew the screw there, what comes off? just the casing?

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 35
The egg part comes off if you undo those two screws. I think the D66 is largely modular.. Very good if a part breaks as perhaps it's easy enough to hack another piece in there
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 35
I found my "perfect" combination on source, amp and Eggos. My PCD has a line out, my amp is a CMoy with a pair of OPA627s, and my are Eggos modified with batting material in the back shell. You might want to try that to make it sound a little less fatiguing due to being on the verge of bright.

I am very happy with this combo so far and now trying it with all different kinds of music. The bass is pretty solid, the mids are still smooth and vocals are right there where you want it, and the highs aren't too bright that you have to cringe on certain CDs. Overall, its a very clean sound and something that I am enjoying very much. Its not by any means the highest quality components assembled but I still like it and thats all that matter, right? I think so...
600smile.gif

Jul 14, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 35
I found the D66 a bit on the bright side and fatiguing with certain MD recordings made through my MZ-R70. Now when I use my MD player I usually use he Shure E2s and have no problems. I never found the Eggos fatiguing when using my PCDP, though.

Jul 14, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen

I’ve never found the eggos to be overly bright (fatiguing), but they can lack in overall fidelity. The MDR-V6 has superior fidelity, but can be fatiguing depending on the source. I like my V6s when using my turntable, but find them way too bright for digital sources.

Disagree with the 'fidelity' statement, if I can include the D-77 eggos. The V6 is far less accurate than the D-77

Jul 14, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 35
I found the D66's to be slanting towards the bright side, and on top of that, the upper midrange had a weird hollow ringing quality to it that I just couldn't stand. The "ringing" could very well have something to do with mechanical damping issues, since the earcups feel very hollow inside.

Jul 14, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Disagree with the 'fidelity' statement, if I can include the D-77 eggos. The V6 is far less accurate than the D-77

It's about the D66. In context 'the eggos' refers to the D66. D66 D66 D-66 d66 d-66.

I'm sure there are plenty of US$200 headphones that are more accurate than a D77..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back