Do you use an Equalizer?
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Mheat122134

100+ Head-Fier
Want to see how popular EQing is in this community. 
smile.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 80
I've played around with one a bit.

In the end I found that I did like the sound signature of my headphones more than any adjustments I'd made, so I decided to stick with no EQ.

Not to mention I play games where I couldn't easily apply one, so I'd be constantly adjusting from one sound signature to another.

EDIT: Although now that I remember, I do have a sub-bass boost. Just a little 1.5dB bump at 20Hz to compensate for my DAC and headphone's rolloff. Nothing really noticeable.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 80
Not usually, every once in a long while I will play around with the EQ in itunes.  But its only like ~2 db at the lowest slider to give just a little more kick to the lower register.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 80
Heya,

Every time. They see me equalizing. They hate'n.

I'm actually shopping for a high quality hardware equalizer in the 16~30 band area. Hard to find one that is high quality, not noisy and messy and low grade, that would work with headphones and not just meant for outdoor speaker ensembles. One day! I am actually a little nostalgic of old stereos that I had growing up that had equalizer bars on the front, stock. They don't exist these days, they assume you have it under control digitally now. I want the bands back with knobs and buttons to turn and push.

Why? Because no headphone and no speaker setup is perfect stock for my taste.

Very best,

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 80
Usually with IEMs and my HD 650 never do I find myself EQing, but with some brighter headphones I tend to bring the highs/treble down just a notch, I can't stand sibilance at all, so it's pretty necessary

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 80
I never find myself using an equalizer or wanting to. Every time I used an equalizer, I would just revert back to neutral a while later anyway.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 80
There are some bassy 40-50$ headphones which with a bit of EQ and maybe light SRS / stereoX boost, if you know what you are doing, can sound like 100$+ one, and I'am not talking about overpriced cans here... But once you get there, it's very easy to mess it up, after what you'll eventually end up returning to flat EQ, so it's not for everyone. 
biggrin.gif

Some days ago there was a thread about EQ for different HP's, but due to lack of people knowledge and OP indifference with everything all over the place, it went dead.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 80
Quote:
they assume you have it under control digitally now. I want the bands back with knobs and buttons to turn and push.

Why on earth ...  
you want to carry everywhere iPad sized plate with knobs with you? 
beyersmile.png

Just find a good SW like poweramp on Android. Unless of course the only place where you're using your HP's is behind your PC / indoor DAC, but even then I don't think it would be much better than good DAC and SW.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 80
I tried many many eq (vst): equality, equick, fab filter pro q , lp 10, psp neon hr.
The last one I've adopted is spl passeq, I get decent results with my hd800.
But I guess my eq quest has not ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back