Do I "need" a Sennheiser HD600/650/660S(S2) series headphone?
Feb 10, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #46 of 48
I'm a pretty serious headphone guy. I use a Chord Qutest with my Quad PA-One tube amp. My main headphones are Hifiman Arya (highly recommended) and Focal Elexa. Sennheiser has been making the '600' series for something like 25 years. They're just coming out with a new model, the lineup now include the 600, 650, 660, and 660 S2. The 600 is the oldest model, and despite the fact they keep 'replacing' it, it is still in production. It's a classic and people who like it like it a lot. So I bought a set from Amazon, $275. The new 660 S2 version is $595. I'm shocked by how good the 600's are. They are the lightest headphones I have, very comfortable. And they sound great, very natural, nice bass, good soundstage. Really good on vocals, piano, guitar, etc. If you're wanting to dip your toe into the headphone world I'd recommend giving these a try. There's a reason they still make them.

Couldn't agree more. I've been listening, collecting, and appreciating headphones for 20+ years. Bought my HD 600 last year. I have to tell you I expected them to sound pretty much the same as my 6xx (650 clone supposedly). Well, they are a different headphone indeed. One of the best purchases I made in the last couple years. Anyway, that is not the point of this thread. I would recommend that after the OP purchases one of the recommended planar phones, he should consider at some point getting the 600. Just saying!

Leo

And I find the 58Xs a very good complementary headphones to them... And also the HD 800 :relieved:

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #47 of 48
No one "needs" a headphone but they represent a remarkable value for wonderful sound. Personally have an HD600 and it's one of the few I couldn't ever sell despite many years of stuff rotating in and out of my collection. The sound plus comfort makes it hard to beat. I personally don't like the 650 as much because to me, it does have more a treble veil.

I would add that diminishing returns already start right after an HD600. In other words, improvements beyond what it can provide you start to become more and more expensive but it gives you a very large percentage of total sound quality with a small cost.

This headphones has to be one of the most popular and well-regarded of all time and there is a reason for that. When you think about all the hundreds and thousands of headphones on the market and that people still continue to come to these and recommend them to others for actual decades - it speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back