Do I "need" a Sennheiser HD600/650/660S(S2) series headphone?
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #31 of 48
Personally, I preferred the HD58X to HD600 (marble), HD650 (Ireland), HD560S, HD400. Unbeatable headphone at that price, for me.
Almost same FR graph than the new HD660S2 (see solderdude comparison at diyaudioheaven).
At about the same price, or slightly above, I liked the Deva Pro wired very much.

I had the HD58X and still have the 660S2. Frequency response graphs tell only one side of the story. They sound nothing alike and the HD58X pales in comparison to the bass response and detail. the 660S2 is worlds above the HD58X to the point I had no issue selling my HD58X.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #32 of 48
I had the HD58X and still have the 660S2. Frequency response graphs tell only one side of the story. They sound nothing alike and the HD58X pales in comparison to the bass response and detail. the 660S2 is worlds above the HD58X to the point I had no issue selling my HD58X.
Of course, the graph is extremely similar but not identical anyway. Solderdude gave a very different impression, above all after some slight tweak (with foam) that lowered a bit the 150hz bump (that is already much less pronounced than a HD650 in stock form), avoiding masking effects and improving the overall clarity.
He recognizes that some difference in favor of the HD660S2 still exists, just not night and day, or worlds above. I should try it myself to have an opinion on this, I have just reported the extremely similar graphics and my own experiences with HD600/650: I have read a lot opinions about their alleged superiority to the HD58X. I know them well, and they are not superior in any way, just a variation on the same theme.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #33 of 48
My main type of music is metal, Thrash, Death metal, aggressive stuff. Let’s say it’s 90% of what I hear.

If you're into rock and metal, the HD660S2 is the way to go. It's my absolute favorite among all the Sennheisers, and I've tried them all! Don't sweat it over YouTube reviews or graphs; believe me, the 660S2 is way better than people give it credit for!

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #34 of 48
If you're into rock and metal, the HD660S2 is the way to go. It's my absolute favorite among all the Sennheisers, and I've tried them all! Don't sweat it over YouTube reviews or graphs; believe me, the 660S2 is way better than people give it credit for!
What he said!

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #35 of 48
I'm having a great time with the 58Xs and metal genre (mostly symphonic and melodic subgenres)... You can go first with the 58Xs if you are low at money, and if you love them stick there or "upgrade" with the 660-S2.

Don't be confused with their name, the 58Xs belong to the 6 series.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #36 of 48
Forget about the Senn HD-6**'s not for you. Planars - HFM Sundara or XS first stop. I cannot recommend the Mass Drop 4XX - too colored. I think you'd be happier with the XS - it's tuned in a way that would support your music. There is a large used market for HFM headphones as well to save some coin.
For some reason the XS escaped my radar…
It's better than the 4XX. It's a pretty good can.
Cool!

Now that I researched the XS I’ve found the Anada Stealth Magnets, that’s only about 30€ more expensive than the XS on an EU online store.

What about this Anada Stealth Magnets? Better than the XS for my kind of music, any experience with them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #37 of 48
For some reason the XS escaped my radar…

Cool!

Now that I researched the XS I’ve found the Anada Stealth Magnets, that’s only about 30€ more expensive than the XS on an EU online store.

What about this Anada Stealth Magnets? Better than the XS for my kind of music, any experience with them?

Thanks!
Yeah they are good, more "proper" sounding as in coloring between the lines. The XS has a slightly more popular tuning. Tough to give advice here, but the headband of the Ananda Stealth is better than the XS.

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #38 of 48
Yeah they are good, more "proper" sounding as in coloring between the lines. The XS has a slightly more popular tuning. Tough to give advice here, but the headband of the Ananda Stealth is better than the XS.
Thanks for the reply!

Can you please elaborate on “The XS has a slightly more popular tuning.”?

Do you mean, more bass, more v shaped?

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #39 of 48
Thanks for the reply!

Can you please elaborate on “The XS has a slightly more popular tuning.”?

Do you mean, more bass, more v shaped?

Thanks!
yes

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 48

Thanks for the reply!

This Edition XS and Ananda Stealth Magnets now have my attention as I never thought about them.

And now that they are similarly priced… hummm….

I know this is a very subjective thing, but for my kind of music, Thrash Metal (Slayer, Metallica, Testament, Exodus, etc.) and Death Metal, but also contemporary classical stuff (like Max Richter) or more intimate stuff (like current Nick Cave on piano and his voice), which one of them would you choose?

I will not do mastering or mixing stuff with them… just imagine, getting home tired, just wanting to sit on my couch listening and having a wonderful time relaxing with music… Edition XS or Ananda Stealth Magnets?

I wish I could try them both, that would be the perfect scenario, but I don’t know a store where they are sold…

It seem like a shoot-out between the Senn’s 600 and 650, where the 650 are a pleasure to listen too, according to what I’ve read…

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #41 of 48
Thanks for the reply!

This Edition XS and Ananda Stealth Magnets now have my attention as I never thought about them.

I know this is a very subjective thing, but for my kind of music, Thrash Metal (Slayer, Metallica, Testament, Exodus, etc.) and Death Metal, but also contemporary classical stuff (like Max Richter) or more intimate stuff (like current Nick Cave on piano and his voice), which one of them would you choose?

I will not do mastering or mixing stuff with them… just imagine, getting home tired, just wanting to sit on my couch listening and having a wonderful time relaxing with music… Edition XS or Ananda Stealth Magnets?

I wish I could try them both, that would be the perfect scenario, but I don’t know a store where they are sold…

It seem like a shoot-out between the Senn’s 600 and 650, where the 650 are a pleasure to listen too, according to what I’ve read…

Thanks for the reply!

Doubt you would prefer any 6** Senn over either HFM - with the exception of the 660 S2. The 650 would be better than the 600 for you, but again neither over the HFM. I'd have to guess the XS would be more to your liking but the headband really does suck. If you listen leaning back on a recliner with head/neck support and you don't more your head around it works, but if you are up and around, or move your head to the music or play air guitar I would find that headband immensely frustrating.

However round cup models of HFM tend to have better bass (impact) than the Ananda/XS - and the 400 Stealth and Sundara Stealth might work better for you for a few bucks less. Imaging and soundstage not as good however.

I'm not going to give a definitive answer, because you may not agree with my assessments - for instance I like my HD-600 more than any of the ones I just named (with proper amplification, which I do not think you have) but I'm not a head banger either.

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #42 of 48
+1zillion

Any headfier worth his salt will have an HD6xx of some kind. It's like a reference standard. Imagine it's like the metric system for scientists. Well an HD650 is like a universal standard measurement for headfi. Even if you were to hate it, which is doubtful, you'd be able to speak the language.

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #43 of 48
Hi all.

When I got into this hobby, the legendary headphone that I always kept hearing about was the Sennheiser HD600.

Well, that was expensive, so I started with some more cheap headphones.

I often found some great deals and my current better ones in my collection are:

- Sennheiser HD599
- Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear
- Philips X2HR
- BeyerDynamic DT990 Edition (250 Ohm)
- AKG K702
- Audio Technica ATH-M50X

So, I have some few. Nothing fancy or high-end, but decent enough, I think.

It happens that I really like the HD599's. They have a very pleasing sound that I really like (even for metal music - 90% of what I hear).

Well, recently the idea of having an HD6XX series headphones appeared...

BUT, given my the collection, would the addition of an 6XX series make sense, or in other words, be "wise" to buy? Or would be a waste of money as the need for them, given what I already have, don't justify it's purchase?

And since I already have the 599's, would you say they sound like 95% of the HD650 for instance room additions los angeles?

Oh man... decisions :)
I'm a pretty serious headphone guy. I use a Chord Qutest with my Quad PA-One tube amp. My main headphones are Hifiman Arya (highly recommended) and Focal Elexa. Sennheiser has been making the '600' series for something like 25 years. They're just coming out with a new model, the lineup now include the 600, 650, 660, and 660 S2. The 600 is the oldest model, and despite the fact they keep 'replacing' it, it is still in production. It's a classic and people who like it like it a lot. So I bought a set from Amazon, $275. The new 660 S2 version is $595. I'm shocked by how good the 600's are. They are the lightest headphones I have, very comfortable. And they sound great, very natural, nice bass, good soundstage. Really good on vocals, piano, guitar, etc. If you're wanting to dip your toe into the headphone world I'd recommend giving these a try. There's a reason they still make them.

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #44 of 48

What he said!
Second this.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #45 of 48
I'm a pretty serious headphone guy. I use a Chord Qutest with my Quad PA-One tube amp. My main headphones are Hifiman Arya (highly recommended) and Focal Elexa. Sennheiser has been making the '600' series for something like 25 years. They're just coming out with a new model, the lineup now include the 600, 650, 660, and 660 S2. The 600 is the oldest model, and despite the fact they keep 'replacing' it, it is still in production. It's a classic and people who like it like it a lot. So I bought a set from Amazon, $275. The new 660 S2 version is $595. I'm shocked by how good the 600's are. They are the lightest headphones I have, very comfortable. And they sound great, very natural, nice bass, good soundstage. Really good on vocals, piano, guitar, etc. If you're wanting to dip your toe into the headphone world I'd recommend giving these a try. There's a reason they still make them.
Couldn't agree more. I've been listening, collecting, and appreciating headphones for 20+ years. Bought my HD 600 last year. I have to tell you I expected them to sound pretty much the same as my 6xx (650 clone supposedly). Well, they are a different headphone indeed. One of the best purchases I made in the last couple years. Anyway, that is not the point of this thread. I would recommend that after the OP purchases one of the recommended planar phones, he should consider at some point getting the 600. Just saying!

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back