DO I BUY SENNS HD 555 OR SONY V6
Aug 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DJ STP

New Head-Fier
I WILL BE USING THESE FOR MUSIC PRODUCTION ON A PC RUNNING THROUGH AN AVERAGE AMP (100W PER CHANNEL) AND A EQ,, HEADPHONES WILL BE CONNECTED TO THE AMP

CAN GET THE SONYS V6 FOR 65 ISH AND THE SENNS 555 ARE 75 POUNDS BUT ARE GRADE C WHICH MEANS THEY HAVE BEEN REFURBISHED BY THE MANUFACTURER THEY NORMALLY GO FOR 100 ISH.

I MAINLY PRORDUCE REGGAE AND DRUM AND BASS AND IM VERY OPEN TO ANY OTHER SUGGESTION IN THIS PRICE RANGE 

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
I read that entire thing in a shouting tone.  It was actually quite amusing.

If you're doing production pick up the Sony MRD-V6 over the HD555.

V6 are great for a balanced can as long as you have some extra power to them

The HD555 are good if your looking more at highs and mids.

Go for the HD555 and do the tape removal mod for them. I think they have tape...

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 11
HAHA thanks for your opinion.. i was intending to buy sonys in the first place then found the senns, thinking they might be better, but maybe not for production because of artificial sound???.. dunno they do look nice.....but do need them for production so looks dont matter in my case

is there any difference between the sony v6 & mdr v600 is it just cosmetic or is there an sound difference, they are the same price

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 11
There are some alternatives for a studio/production can in your price range. I'd at least take a look at the following headphones and do some research before choosing the V6.

-Sennheiser HD280 Pro
-KRK KNS 6400

The V6 has a slight mid-bass hump and is prone to sibilance since they have an emphasis around 2.5 kHz. They are particularly good for mixing voices (as in radio broadcasts, audiobooks, dubbing etc) but slightly colored for music. On the other hand, the Sennheiser and the KRK are a little flatter overall, which makes them better for mixing music. The V6 dips significantly below about 50 Hz, whereas the KRK and Sennheiser remain flat all the way down to at least 10 Hz. This should be helpful for mixing bass-heavy genres. The difference between the KRK and the Senn is that the KRK puts more emphasis on mids and the Senn on the bass, but the difference is slight. The V6 is also uncomfortable for some people since it is not completely circumaural. Moreover, replacing its pleather earpads with Beyer DT250 velour pads will cost you extra money. With all this said, the V6 is still a great can and you probably won't be disappointed with it if you decide to buy it; however, I think its a good idea to also consider the alternatives.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks, great bit of info there really helpful, just checked these out now, i like the senss hd 280 can get them for around 65 from abroad, so they are more suitable than the hd555's ??? 

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Definitely. The HD280 Pro is a dedicated monitoring headphone and has an intentionally flat frequency response curve to make sure that it can be used as a critical monitoring tool. The HD555 is designed as a 'hi-fi' can for the enjoyment and appreciation of music. This means that the HD555 has a slightly exaggerated bass response with that famous Sennheiser toe-tapping mid-bass hump and less treble in order to provide a non-fatiguing, pleasant sound signature. While this is indeed great if you want to use the cans to simply listen to music for hours on end, if you want to use them in any sort of professional capacity, their sound signature is a fault. 

Quote:
Thanks, great bit of info there really helpful, just checked these out now, i like the senss hd 280 can get them for around 65 from abroad, so they are more suitable than the hd555's ??? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back