DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Aug 13, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,388 of 4,470
Stratus drives both really well, show both headphones strength compare to each other. Hd800 is more fussy (compared to he1000) in regards to amplification though, so once I heard hd800 from Stratus, there's not many other amp that I can enjoy with hd800. While he1000 sound great from other amp that I've tried, such as stock wa5, Rag or Liquid Gold (though I still slightly prefer stratus with he1000). I guess it depend on individual preference

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #2,389 of 4,470
Anyone interested in these?

Quoted from Donald:
Both of the amps pictured are higher end than the Sonett or Stratus. The amp pictured on the left is a concept headphone power amplifier sans internal volume control. It's meant primarily to be used with sources with variable output or with an active preamp. It is a single stage amplifier with input and output transformers. The power tubes are EML 20A meshplate directly heated triodes. The amp includes balanced and unbalanced inputs with selectable gain. The output transformers are a special design by Audio Note UK and need to be mumetal shielded for no hum and the blackest background. This amp is intended primarily for higher impedance dynamic headphones likes the HD800 but it also sounds good with the K1000, for example. Some pirates got to hear it last December.

The amp on the right, named Solaris, is a high-end 2A3 amplifier, with similar 2-stage capacitor-coupled topology as the Stratus, but with the best available components. The large output transformers are custom made for me by Audio Note featuring their Ultra Hi-B cores. The coupling caps are Duelund CAST - the best sounding available in my opinion. This amp will also include both balanced and unbalanced inputs. The balanced inputs will be accommodated by Audio Note input transformers. The goal is to offer the best sounding 2A3 amplifier in copper that I can do. I plan to release it in early 2016.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,390 of 4,470
Anyone interested in these?

Quoted from Donald:
Both of the amps pictured are higher end than the Sonett or Stratus. The amp pictured on the left is a concept headphone power amplifier sans internal volume control. It's meant primarily to be used with sources with variable output or with an active preamp. It is a single stage amplifier with input and output transformers. The power tubes are EML 20A meshplate directly heated triodes. The amp includes balanced and unbalanced inputs with selectable gain. The output transformers are a special design by Audio Note UK and need to be mumetal shielded for no hum and the blackest background. This amp is intended primarily for higher impedance dynamic headphones likes the HD800 but it also sounds good with the K1000, for example. Some pirates got to hear it last December.

The amp on the right, named Solaris, is a high-end 2A3 amplifier, with similar 2-stage capacitor-coupled topology as the Stratus, but with the best available components. The large output transformers are custom made for me by Audio Note featuring their Ultra Hi-B cores. The coupling caps are Duelund CAST - the best sounding available in my opinion. This amp will also include both balanced and unbalanced inputs. The balanced inputs will be accommodated by Audio Note input transformers. The goal is to offer the best sounding 2A3 amplifier in copper that I can do. I plan to release it in early 2016.

Yes, I am very, very interested in these. I was surprised to see that Donald is planning on using CAST capacitors, but then again I've been eyeing them as the final upgrade to my Mainline.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,391 of 4,470
Out of my budget range unfortunately... 

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2,392 of 4,470
I was wondering if the attenuator could be done away with so a preamp could be used. Being a purist I could not accept the attenuator as being something in the signal path. A good preamp can actually improve the sound quality if done right. So, food for thought. I suppose it would be too expensive as an upgrade to the present Stratus?

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2,397 of 4,470
I've no doubt Donald will propose a really awesome amp but I know what are my financial limits for now. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,399 of 4,470
I guess I am a little slow...  Is this a new statement amp from DNA, or just a modified Stratus?

New statement amp. Like a stratus with the best parts available. Custom built trnsformers by audionote. Uber capacitors. Sounds like the ultimate stratus.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2,400 of 4,470
New statement amp. Like a stratus with the best parts available. Custom built trnsformers by audionote. Uber capacitors. Sounds like the ultimate stratus.

I called Donald and left him a voice mail today.  I suppose this is in response to The Studio.  Very interesting...  Do you know if this will be a limited run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back