DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Aug 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,891 of 4,464

The EML is actually a really nice tube.  I'm totally happy with it.  All this talk about the U52 being better makes me wants one though 
basshead.gif

The pairing of the 5u4g and the Sophia's is excellent!

Is it just me or does that EML really tower above the Sophia's like that?

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,893 of 4,464

The EML is actually a really nice tube.  I'm totally happy with it.  All this talk about the U52 being better makes me wants one though 
basshead.gif

The pairing of the 5u4g and the Sophia's is excellent!

the exact set up i want  - looks good there

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,895 of 4,464

It looks good, but it's the sound that really steals the show 
smile.gif

Im looking forward to hearing the differences between it and the wa2. I wonder if the stratus stock is still better than the WA2 with upgraded tubes? 

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,896 of 4,464
Im looking forward to hearing the differences between it and the wa2. I wonder if the stratus stock is still better than the WA2 with upgraded tubes? 

+1

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,897 of 4,464

I'm not sure - I've never had the opportunity to hear the WA2.  I can you tell that the stock tubes with the Stratus are excellent and you don't need to change them to make the Stratus excellent.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #1,898 of 4,464

I'm not sure - I've never had the opportunity to hear the WA2.  I can you tell that the stock tubes with the Stratus are excellent and you don't need to change them to make the Stratus excellent.

great to hear that. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,899 of 4,464
The stock tubes are great and the amp sounds wonderful right out of the box. But you will want to try different tubes. It's one of the fun (but expensive) parts of owning such an amp. One of the many things I like about the Stratus is that Donald made 'value engineering' decisions to maximize the value of the amp exclusive of the tubes used. He has certainly used good quality tubes but not the most expensive. Instead he focused on the quality of internal parts. And, the result, to my ear is an amp that can transmit the differences and nuances of the various tube combinations so, if we choose, we can further enhance our listening experience by dialing in the sound we like with the rest of our components. I can hear the difference in every tube change I have made - driver, power or rectifier. Everything sounds good. But there are some magical tubes out there and the Stratus lets us hear the subtlety and nuance of these tubes.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,900 of 4,464
I fully agree with Bigsecret! The great thing about rolling tubes on the Stratus is that you can fine-tune the sound to suit your liking and different headphones. When you change any components upstream, the Stratus still allows you to make the final adjustment on the sound, though I agree tube-rolling does take a toll on the wallet:p Nevertheless, there are always cheap and good tubes around that works fantastically with the Stratus. One rectifier tube which I like very much these day is the RCA 5U4G. While it is much cheaper than the U52 and EML I have, i find it to be just as enjoyable with its musical and transparent sound. Next up, a Jan-CRC-5U4G coming on its way... :)

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,903 of 4,464
Can anyone tell me the differences between the EML 2a3 mesh and solid plates? Which one is better for HD800 and which is better for LCD? 

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,904 of 4,464
New stratus owner checking in.  I have a problem and was wondering if anyone could help.  I just brought a new cyro pearl 6N1P from here: http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_new_cryo_6n1p.html.  Problem is that when I try to use it, it causes the circuit breaker to my room to pop.  The circuit breaker is 15 amps.  House was built 6 yrs ago.  I've never had any issues with the circuit breaker popping before.  I've run dual questyle CMA800R's, EF-6, SuSy Dynahi, mjolnir, etc without any issues.  When I put the old 6N1P-EV back in, everything works fine.  The old one was a reflektor brand, new one is voshkod.  Is there something wrong with the amp?  Is my circuit breaker just old?  I did notice that on the box the plate current and transconductance are different between the two 6N1P's - see pic.  I have no idea what those two terms mean. Is the new voshkod just out of spec for the amp?

Reflektor on top.  Voshkod on bottom. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back