diymod questions regarding capacitors
Jul 6, 2010 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tranhieu

Member of the Trade: DIY Amp Builder - AKA kytuphicanh
Caution: Incomplete Sales
After reading through the massive thread about diymod, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger in the near future but the questions of which cap to choose is still unsolved. My best choice now would be the Mcap Supreme 800vdc 6.8uF which runs about 25 pounds each. Though a friend told me to go with the Russian FT3. From the orgy cap thread I'm a bit sold but still since no one has mentioned about using them with diymod before I don't know if I can use them for a 5.5g diymod.
Also, what caps should I use as bypassing caps? and at which values?

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 21
So if I want to use the FT3 I must use some resistors to adjust the input resistance?
I thought the higher the value the better due to the cutoff frequency?

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks, that will take some time to read the whole thing :p
Also, what about bypassing caps? Do they really have any effect or the difference is not audible? I've only seen bypassing caps in some fullsized amps so I guess they might do the diymod good?

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 21
er... what do you mean by simple coupling? I'm not very familiar with cap rolling :p

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 21
ok~ so I measured the input and ground on my pot which reads around 45kohm, is that the resistance that I need to take as the reference for the caps? :D

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 21
Now that I've read that article and played around with the other threads, your words seem much clearer :D
But I still have one question: is there any golden rule for choosing which cap should go with which cap to make a coupling or it just comes down to preference in the end? like in my case, what are the other caps that can go with the FT3 to make a coupling?

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 21
For the FT3 the highest value I can find here is 0.22uf so I guess it can only be used for coupling, not as bypassing caps? It's said that the bypassing cap can be of lower quality so which one should I go with here? The mundorf silver oil is quite expensive to be used for bypassing isnt it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back